Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter turns one next month. :2:

That means we can finally turn her car seat facing forward. We have her seated in the middle position (the safest) and we wish to keep her there once we turn her seat around.

Nissan, in their infinite wisdom, decided to place the top tether strap anchor point for the center position all the way towards the hatch opening, instead of on the seatback, like the outer positions (see image). This is really silly since you would end up having a strap running all the way across the cargo area, assuring that it will be in the way when you load and unload stuff.

So, I began to think of a way around this problem. My best solution has been to get a "V" shaped harness to attach to the outboard anchor points and have the tip of the "V" part hook into the seat strap. This should be safe since the harness is designed for racing purposes.

Can anyone think of any other solutions? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
shappy0869-

I always wondered about the hidden anchor-point mounted near the rear bumper. It always seemed a bit impractical. I am surprised they did not locate the anchor point on the rear of the center seat section or in the forward section of the spare tire pan.

The vee-strap you are proposing appears to be a safe and logical alternative. You could also mount an anchor to a structural member under the rear of the center seat.

-njjoe

·
Registered
81 Posts
The reason all top shoulder belts are anchored at shoulder height is to prevent spinal compression during a frontal crash. I would only use the lower anchors if necessary to secure just the seat itself.

This is why race vehicles have their upper belt attachments on harness bars or somewhere on the rear deck near shoulder height.

I'm assuming you only need to anchor the seat which has it's own separate belts for the child so I think you'd be ok.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Like RayH mentioned, we just use the lower latch anchors to secure the child seat. We put our 3 yr old in the middle and attach the seat to two anchors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts