Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm renaming my Mo, "Chips Ahoy".

Every time after I clean and polish her up, lo and behold another chip seems to surface. Paint is very thin, I'm afraid!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello Chips Ahoy

I have notice little paint chip on my rear Nissan Logo area...I must have hit the parking roof while opening the hatch...OUCH!

I also noticed fragile thin paint as you noted...asked the dealer and you know what they said "I would use Nissan Touch up paint, The Nissan paint is good" Yah right, if that's true I would't have the problems to begin with?

Keep rollin MO trainers!

Nizmo

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Yeah, I'm starting to think the paint comes of in spots when I speed too much, I've got chips all over, and I avoid gravel roads 98% of the time.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Tyler, the MO was not designed for warp speed!

Beam me up Scotty! :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Murano was produced at the Kyushu plant in Japan. Here's a quote I found about the paint supplier . . . "with an annual output of 600,000 units, Kyushu is the automaker's largest Japanese production site. The BASF NOF Coatings joint venture used water-borne basecoats for the first time there last year".

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I was just thinking about my good old 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Owned it for 11 years and had about 3 paint chips total and no deflector or bra on the vehicle. Never sealed the paint, just waxed on occasion and ran through the car wash when dirty.

My MO is driven over the same route back and forth to work as the Jeep was and it seems that everytime I clean it, I find another chip on the hood. I do have the Colgan Bra installed and that helps somewhat, but the chips are happening further up on the hood. I use Classe products to wax and seal as well.

Funny thing is, I never can seem to hear getting pinged by a pebble or anyhing, and I do maintain a good distance from cars and especially dump trucks. I generally don't blast the radio, so I'd think I'd hear something hitting the hood hard enough to chip it. But, paint quality being what it is.............................

Be glad when my 4 year lease is up, I suppose, but may have to suck up the cost of a repainted hood before turning the car in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nissan Paint Chips

I don't think this is new to the Mo. Nissan has had complaints for at least the last ten years about paint chips. You can to any nissan forum (freshalloy, maxima.org) and find people unhappy with the quality of nissan paint. My maxima has always had chips, and like you I always find new ones when I wash and wax it. I suspect you can take a walk past the front of all the used cars at a nissan dealership and see the vehicles with the chipped up front ends. I do think certain colors for some reason are more prone to chips as well.

From what I have read, it is no longer exclusive to Nissan. I read a while back on the maxima.org site that there were laws passed a few years back regarding the contents of automobile paints and that most automobiles these days are more likely to get chipped than they were ten years ago.

Personnally, I think the nissan paint is still probably worse than most in terms of chipping.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just washed the MO and noticed 3 chips on the hood. NOT HAPPY!!!

I guess I better go to the dealer and get touch up paint.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Certainly the reason I bought the Invisible Bra.
NO chips after 12000 miles.

it IS expensive <> $600, but a lot cheaper than a new paint job.
And it protects not only the hood, but also the front of the fenders, the bottom of the front area, and the back of the mirrors.
I also had a piece installed where the Nissan BLACK cargo protector normally goes.

I'm happy. :D

Homer

·
Registered
74 Posts
Photos please, of your invisible bra!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I also have the bra, works great. But someone put a 4 inch gash in the door right above the door handle on my MO.

Have to see it everytime I get in the car, will try touchup this spring too cod now. Just wax to keep rust at bay.

·
Registered
120 Posts
OK first paint chip. Not happy. Links to invisible bra, anyone?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have 4 rather noticeable marks on the passenger side of my MO. I thought they were made by a white vehicle since they're all white, but after reading another thread I'm afraid that the paint really is THAT thin and that's the PRIMER!

Holy crap! I guess touch-up paint and the smoother / glob remover mentioned is my only hope?

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks.

I expect to have this done by the end of the month.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I guess I'm going to have to do something, too. I was looking over the hood tonight and found quite few chips. I still feel kind of lucky...I'm at 22,000 miles and hadn't really gotten that many chips until this winter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I found this thread and I wanted to post or write about this for a bit. I have a Blue 2005 Murano now with 34K miles (Highway Mainly) and the front bumber and front portion of the hood looks like it was sand blasted. Next spring I plan on having a dent in my door fixed and I am going to paint the bumper and the hood, because it's driving me nuts to look at that, especially how nice I keep the rest of it.

I have had a Maxima, Sentra and now the Murano and all of them have had similar paint problems, heavy chipping. My wife on the other hand never takes care of her car, and it only gets detailed when I get around to it (To busy detailing customer cars) she has a 2001 Toyota Sequoia and it has hardly any chipping at all with almost twice the mileage.

I like Nissan, great style, power, comfort, but man at least for me my experience with their paint has been rough.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts