Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering....

I used my Megallen in my girls car (Ford, Taurus) and it's cool, cause when I turn the engine off, the power remains on for the cigarette lighter plug, so the megallen doesn't have to go off. We went shopping in a bunch of stores and I never had to turn it off all day to power it back up.

On the Murano though, I turn the car off, the power goes off, and I have to power it back up which isn't very quick.

I'm wondering why on one vechicle it powers off and another the power remains on. Also, I doubt it, but anyway to rewire my Mo so the power remains on even when the car is off ?

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
TheGymKid said:
I'm wondering....

I used my Megallen in my girls car (Ford, Taurus) and it's cool, cause when I turn the engine off, the power remains on for the cigarette lighter plug, so the megallen doesn't have to go off. We went shopping in a bunch of stores and I never had to turn it off all day to power it back up.

On the Murano though, I turn the car off, the power goes off, and I have to power it back up which isn't very quick.

I'm wondering why on one vechicle it powers off and another the power remains on. Also, I doubt it, but anyway to rewire my Mo so the power remains on even when the car is off ?
I guess it is for you not to forget to unplug the accesories overnight and drain the battery the day after. Recent japanese vehicles, mostly, have this feature.

IMHO, this feature is convinient to have in murano. In my prev vehicle in which the cigarette lighter did not turn off even when the key was pulled out, i dried the battery once as I forgot to unplug my laptop + charger from it after 9 hrs or so.

I guess, Nissan designed the murano this way because they think it will do more good than harm ;) You can easily rewire the cig lighter to be always hot (on). Just dont forget to put a fuse in between the circuit (10A typically).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
On the Murano the power turns off conceivably so that whatever is left plugged in won't drain the battery. Yeah its a long stretch to think something like a NAV or cell phone charger can drain the battery, but I suppose if you leave it parked for a week, it could.

However, strangely, everything in the Murano (and most Nissans) that can still operate with the ignition off (such as the interior lights) have a 30 minute delay shutoff if left on. My radar detector is hardwired into the map light power supply, and it shuts off 30 minutes after I turn off the ignition. Nissan calls this the "battery saver" feature. Conceivably you could also tap into an unswitched 12V wire to power your portable NAV as well, and it would also work on the 30 minute delay.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric L. said:
On the Murano the power turns off conceivably so that whatever is left plugged in won't drain the battery. Yeah its a long stretch to think something like a NAV or cell phone charger can drain the battery, but I suppose if you leave it parked for a week, it could.

However, strangely, everything in the Murano (and most Nissans) that can still operate with the ignition off (such as the interior lights) have a 30 minute delay shutoff if left on. My radar detector is hardwired into the map light power supply, and it shuts off 30 minutes after I turn off the ignition. Nissan calls this the "battery saver" feature. Conceivably you could also tap into an unswitched 12V wire to power your portable NAV as well, and it would also work on the 30 minute delay.
Thanks SugarRush... It makes sense for it to shut off so you don't leave your laptop (or other things) plugged in overnight. Nissan sux's, I'm an adult, not a child and would like to be responsible for my own actions. ( Which is not always good and I'm sure I might leave it plugged in over night and drain the battery.) But, I would like to make that choice, not leave it to Nissan. Anyhow, no biggie...

Eric, could you explain to me how you rewired it for your radar detector please? I remember when I was 18, I wired fog lights by connecting the wire right to the fuse box and a ground, but I'm sure there has to be a safer / correct way to do it. I would really like to have the option to keep my Magellan on all the time and a 30 min auto shut off would be great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts