Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought myself a Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS system, and have a couple of projects ahead for me. The first is to fabricate a mounting bracket to mount the unit above the info display (easy enough).

The second one has me a little concerned though. Although the built in antenna seems to be sufficient in most cases (thanks to the ample dashboard of the Murano), I am still considering mounting a more permanent external GPS antenna. The problem is, if I take the most direct route, I am worried that I will be up to my armpits in side curtain airbags.

The only safe route I know is through the rear-most pillar. If I do that, I am running the antenna wire down the dash, under the carpets, and back up the rear pillar, which will probably require around a 20' cable. Is this the only way, or is it safe to go up the front pillar? I figured that those of you who have tried to get Sat. Radio working have already figured this out.

·
4,664 Posts
Any signal gain you would get with an external antenna would most likely be negated by the signal loss through the antenna cabling. If you can put the whole receiver outside, you'd be better off. The alternative is to mount the receiver somewhere on or just under the dash, as far away from the roof line as possible. This will work quite well. The OEM navigation system has the antenna under the dash, just in front of the display. Going this way, does away with the problems associated with running cabling to an external antenna.

My Bluetooth GPS receiver and my Garmin eTrex are both quite happy forward on the dash. Lot's of view of the sky.:D

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
If you have to/want to run wiring, you can easily pop the A (front) pillar trim off. No danger there! Just grab it at the top and pull gently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts