Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter brought this as her first major purchase and about 6 months later her top was not working, she has to drive around with the continual beep and to top it all off was told it would cost $19,000 to fix. This is totally unacceptable I am definitely in if you are able to do a class action suit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
convertible top warranty

Sorry you having trouble. I purchase my car 2011 used from carmax and bought their extended warranty, repairs at carmax with covered warranty $50. any place else $100.00 I made sure to ask about top repairs. recently my top looked weird on the inside like something was going to poke through the fabric, I took it to local Nissan service in Tampa Fl. service manger said it was some sort of rod that broke and the whole thing needed replaced since they do not have individual parts. I was shocked at price, he said around the $16,000. range if they can even get a top. Said warranty company will probably say not covered but we could fight it, and they also have the right to use a used part. After a few days the adjusted came to inspect and within a week I had a brand new top. Final bill was just at $18,000. with shipping, total cost to me was $154.00 because I had the molding that covers the hinge when top is down replaced at the same time and that was considered cosmetic, I certainly was not going to argue that. I would suggest you have a lawyer look at you extended warranty. I was prepared to do that if they denied the claim. Guess I got lucky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter brought this as her first major purchase and about 6 months later her top was not working, she has to drive around with the continual beep and to top it all off was told it would cost $19,000 to fix. This is totally unacceptable I am definitely in if you are able to do a class action suit.
My top stopped working too, 5 days after I paid $25k for it. The repair cost is $16k. You can stop that noise by removing the fuse for the top. Its clearly labeled and accessible in the under the hood fuse box. Removing the fuse will stop the warning sound but it will also disable voice recognition and you will only be able to manually unlock the doors from the inside if the motor is running. You can manually open the trunk with the key just be sure to insert it with the notch facing toward the driver's side. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My top stopped working too, 5 days after I paid $25k for it. The repair cost is $16k. You can stop that noise by removing the fuse for the top. Its clearly labeled and accessible in the under the hood fuse box. Removing the fuse will stop the warning sound but it will also disable voice recognition and you will only be able to manually unlock the doors from the inside if the motor is running. You can manually open the trunk with the key just be sure to insert it with the notch facing toward the driver's side. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 and just like everyone else, got the top down but wouldnt raise. Took the fuse out to stop the annoying steady tone and went to Nissan. They actually dont work on the top at all...sent me to the upholstery place they use. 10k to start because they didnt know if putting a new top would fix the problem. Why is this so difficult?

·
Registered
1 Posts
convertible top warranty

Sorry you having trouble. I purchase my car 2011 used from carmax and bought their extended warranty, repairs at carmax with covered warranty $50. any place else $100.00 I made sure to ask about top repairs. recently my top looked weird on the inside like something was going to poke through the fabric, I took it to local Nissan service in Tampa Fl. service manger said it was some sort of rod that broke and the whole thing needed replaced since they do not have individual parts. I was shocked at price, he said around the $16,000. range if they can even get a top. Said warranty company will probably say not covered but we could fight it, and they also have the right to use a used part. After a few days the adjusted came to inspect and within a week I had a brand new top. Final bill was just at $18,000. with shipping, total cost to me was $154.00 because I had the molding that covers the hinge when top is down replaced at the same time and that was considered cosmetic, I certainly was not going to argue that. I would suggest you have a lawyer look at you extended warranty. I was prepared to do that if they denied the claim. Guess I got lucky.
I am having the same issue, however CarMax is telling me that the extended MaxCare doesn’t cover it?
When did you purchase your car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am seeing way to many issues with the convertible tops. I recently had an issue. While lowering my top, something sounded "off". Then strained. So I stopped lowering it and tried to put the roof back on. To late. Now, I will get the items name wrong. It is a strut like item that pushes the hood into the "locked" position. I initially took it to a dealer in Kansas City. The guy was a service manager at a different location. He said that where he was now, they would NOT work on the car because they simply didn't have the experience. He alluded to the fact that this top was part of the reason why the car was only made for a few years. So I went to the suggested dealership. They charged me $150 to diagnose the issue. I had purchased this car from a BMW dealership, coincidentally right down the road. When I bought the car with 25k on it, I got an extended warranty to 100k. I specifically told the dealer the warranty had to cover EVERYTHING and it cost $2872 for the warranty. Yes, the warranty people were in Florida when the hurricane hit so it took a week to get their insurance adjuster out to assess my car. It took a week for them to diagnose and get the adjuster out. Bottom line, no, the insurance only covered the roof motor. Here's the bigger issue. You can't get parts for this. So I need a whole new roof estimated at $16,000.00. Like a bulb in your dashboard that goes out, replace the dashboard, not the bulb. I say they (Nissan) knew or should have known about this issue and if nothing else had a warning in the car.
I called 1800 NISSAN1 and they declined me 1) because I have too many miles on the car at 64k. 2) I am past the 36 months and 3) because they decided to without seeing the car (they knew what was wrong).

I have a car that I still owe money on. I cannot sell because the roof doesn't work. I cannot fix because its $16k. I cannot use it for it's intended purpose (like going to Costco in it was really going to happen). So I'm supposed to bend over and take it? No, I will not. I am posting here because I truly think a class action will benefit all of us victims. And we ARE victims. I am just starting this ball rolling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the law firm is in california that WON against them, NISSAN USA for transmission problem and we should get enough CrossCab owners together and sue. Doesn't cost us anything, Lawyers get paid when we get refunded for money lost buying their defective car WHICH THEY KNEW and still sold. Resale Value, What RESALE VALUE? Guy offered me $6,000 for trade in and my Sunset Bronze baby only has 23,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the law firm is in california that WON against them, NISSAN USA for transmission problem and we should get enough CrossCab owners together and sue. Doesn't cost us anything, Lawyers get paid when we get refunded for money lost buying their defective car WHICH THEY KNEW and still sold. Resale Value, What RESALE VALUE? Guy offered me $6,000 for trade in and my Sunset Bronze baby only has 23,000 miles on it.
From reading all the legal pages, the same CVT transmission in the Altima won a judgement against NISSAN USA for car owners in Cali. The fact that their own literature states that a 370Z convertible is covered but NOT a CrossCab should speak volumes($$$) to a Law Firm. It seems like Massachusetts has better consumer protection laws to sue with Class Action. I am so in because the perpetuated fraud on us knowing the problems we would have and decided most people DON'T SUE so, leave it up to their Lawyers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am seeing way to many issues with the convertible tops. I recently had an issue. While lowering my top, something sounded "off". Then strained. So I stopped lowering it and tried to put the roof back on. To late. Now, I will get the items name wrong. It is a strut like item that pushes the hood into the "locked" position. I initially took it to a dealer in Kansas City. The guy was a service manager at a different location. He said that where he was now, they would NOT work on the car because they simply didn't have the experience. He alluded to the fact that this top was part of the reason why the car was only made for a few years. So I went to the suggested dealership. They charged me $150 to diagnose the issue. I had purchased this car from a BMW dealership, coincidentally right down the road. When I bought the car with 25k on it, I got an extended warranty to 100k. I specifically told the dealer the warranty had to cover EVERYTHING and it cost $2872 for the warranty. Yes, the warranty people were in Florida when the hurricane hit so it took a week to get their insurance adjuster out to assess my car. It took a week for them to diagnose and get the adjuster out. Bottom line, no, the insurance only covered the roof motor. Here's the bigger issue. You can't get parts for this. So I need a whole new roof estimated at $16,000.00. Like a bulb in your dashboard that goes out, replace the dashboard, not the bulb. I say they (Nissan) knew or should have known about this issue and if nothing else had a warning in the car.
I called 1800 NISSAN1 and they declined me 1) because I have too many miles on the car at 64k. 2) I am past the 36 months and 3) because they decided to without seeing the car (they knew what was wrong).

I have a car that I still owe money on. I cannot sell because the roof doesn't work. I cannot fix because its $16k. I cannot use it for it's intended purpose (like going to Costco in it was really going to happen). So I'm supposed to bend over and take it? No, I will not. I am posting here because I truly think a class action will benefit all of us victims. And we ARE victims. I am just starting this ball rolling.
All owners of crosscab should be compensated for such a poorly designed product, the roof and the CVT. In California Nissan USA had to pay and was found negligible in the design of the CVT in the MAXIMA why not in every car that that same transmision is in? That is like when the Chevy Denali owners who had a problem with their DC200 transmision, it would be replaced free but when that same transmission let go in my Avalanche it wasn't because the class action suit was brought on behalf of 33 Denali owners. How absurd is that? Legal system is for big corporations to hide behind!

·
Super Moderator
8,350 Posts
If you folks are sincere about the class action suit, then perhaps you should get in touch with each other, then contact the appropriate federal agencies and see if you can get an action going. Alternatively, you might advertise for a trial attorney who will recruit members to the class and lodge the suit.

I'm sympathetic to the issue, and it appears that Nissan has left the cabrio owners stranded on a desert island. If you can find a contact in Nissan's corporate heirarchy, perhaps that would be worth pursuing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 Murano CC, purchased in 2013. And YES, I’m onboard with a class action lawsuit. My top started showing problems 3 years ago. I took it to the dealership it was purchased from and realized immediately the problem I had. Was informed that they could not guarantee any work they did on the top to repair it and that it would cost $13,000 to completely replace it. None of this would be covered under warranty. I spent $1500 to have them get it locked securely and to repair some minor body and paint damage caused from the malfunction. All this to say, it still was not in operating condition when I left. I feel stuck and robbed in this vehicle purchase due to the fact that resale/trade-in value, of course, has been diminished. Who wants a convertible with a top you can’t put down?!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking for others - I am moving forward with legal action.

Does anyone else have the GOLD PREFERRED WRAP NISSAN extended warranty and have had top repairs rejected by NISSAN?

The cover of my top failed and in my case NISSAN is refusing to repair the part. NISSAN's only solution is to replace the entire top - out of warranty for a cost of $17K.

I am looking for others to send me their information and participate in a class action suit.

It turns out in the GOLD PREFERRED booklet of covered parts my exact part is covered for a 370Z but not for CC. In fact NONE of the parts listed are for a CC, which means NISSAN knew the CC had a design problem.

My email is brain man 5 @ out look. com.

I am looking to find others who have had similar problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was so excited to purchase my 2014 crosscabriolet used vehicle. Looked so elegant and compliments coming my way right and left. I had it a week. Didn't really want car payments again after not having any for so long, but for this car it was worth it, or so I thought. I'm not rich, and I've now been told the brackets are broken on both sides and if I try to get the top up/down I risk breaking the windows or having it get stuck and not being able to get it back up again. Ugh what a disappointment. I can't afford a 2nd mortgage on my car so I'm stuck with a convertible that just won't work and don't have the money to repair. I got taken in the good ole' State of Georgia where it's buy as is/no warranty, so I'm stuck. However, I do think this problem is something Nissan should take care of since it appears to be a big problem for many of us. What can I do to help!

·
Super Moderator
8,350 Posts
Is there any chance you can have a machine shop manufacture the parts? I'm not sure what "the brackets" are, but this is a possibility that doesn't occur to some folks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there any chance you can have a machine shop manufacture the parts? I'm not sure what "the brackets" are, but this is a possibility that doesn't occur to some folks.
My husband knows someone at a motorcycle shop; they fabricate, so he plans on asking them. The original brackets are plastic and someone tried "fixing" them with some kind of epoxy.

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
My husband knows someone at a motorcycle shop; they fabricate, so he plans on asking them. The original brackets are plastic and someone tried "fixing" them with some kind of epoxy.
I remember reading here on the forum someone had the brackets 3-D printed using a tougher polycarbonate plastic. They have the file needed for a 3-D printer and were willing to give to anyone who needed it. Evidently, these plastic brackets account for about 75% of the Murano's soft-top issues, failed sensors switches running a close second. A little internet research can find you a local 3-D print shop. Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
8,350 Posts
I remember reading here on the forum someone had the brackets 3-D printed using a tougher polycarbonate plastic. They have the file needed for a 3-D printer and were willing to give to anyone who needed it. Evidently, these plastic brackets account for about 75% of the Murano's soft-top issues, failed sensors switches running a close second. A little internet research can find you a local 3-D print shop. Good luck.

Have a good day.
Fanastic idea!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Have you had a chance to pursue this any further? I'm on board if so please contact me via email at [email protected] or at 828-490-0567 thank you Julie Keen Ackerman

21 - 40 of 51 Posts