Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. If anyone here has ever worked with clay bars, compounds, or other "elite" detailing products to either REALLY clean your car or to fix swirlmarks/scratches...

How harsh is this stuff on the clear coat? I imagine a layer of the clear coat is getting stripped away with that clay bar, or so I've heard.

I ask because I'm having a very pro detail shop work on my swirl marks (put there by some dippy local detailer who was supposed to get some minor, localized swirlmarks OUT) and they plan to use a clay bar, compounds, and such. Naturally I'm fearful for the health of my paint... even though they say everything will be alright. I worry. :(

·
Windy City MO :)
137 Posts
My '98 GTP gets clayed once a year and I can't see any harm. I love the smooth feeling and the shine after I'm done.

On my Grand Prix forum, there are over 11,000 members and no one has ever complained about the clay bar. As a matter of fact, the nicest cars in our club get clayed a couple times a year. Just my .02 :p

Here's a pic of my 5 yr old GP right after a clay job. After this pic, I polished and waxed her but forget to take pictures of the final result. Trust me.....it looked good. :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doom,
Clay bars work great. As long as you keep the surface wet so the bar glides over the paint, it will pick up any imperfections that sit higher than the paint surface. The debris picked up pushes into the soft clay and is away from your paint surface. The key is to have the surface as clean as possible first, so no sand (the worst!) gets into the clay. Sand WILL scratch, even in a clay bar. If you ever drop the clay bar on the ground, throw it away! Use common sense, keep the surface wet, kneed the clay often, and you are good to go.:1:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the good advice. The reason I asked was because I'm having a detailer take care of some swirlies and they plan to use a clay bar (among other things).

While I highly trust this shop (they take care of cars that are nowhere NEAR the Murano.. Ferarris, Hummers, Benz, BMW, etc), I was still worried about clays, given what I've heard.

Thanks again :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts