Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a bit unsure but I purchased and tired a clay bar on the MO. Having a Black MO I'm always nervouse about anything more than necessary rubbing on the finish.

I tried the clay bar and I must say it worked great! Smmooooth finish and got loads of stuff off. After I did the bar I put on a lovely coat of wax... and boy is she all shinney now.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yeah, I did the Zaino gig a few times already. It takes a while but my MO always look wet now and I catch most people staring at all kinds of reflections in this incredible finish.

It's almost unreal if you do it right. Dawn...claybar...lubricant...Dawn...Z-5...Z-6...Z-5...Z-6...Z-2...Z-6...Z-2...Z-6

And of course, don't forget Z-7 and Z-16 as well as a good supply of fresh beer and laughs with friends in doing so...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never tried Zaino but I always hear folks talking about it in this forum. Does it last or is it something that you need to perform often? I typically wax about 3-4x per year.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Gonzo,

So far it has been very long lasting. After the initial PITA claybar prep, it seems to be the easiest to maintain finish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After two washings, a claybar scrub and *eight* coats of various pricey products, that car damn well better sing and dance to me. I don't think that's even remotely realistic for most folks.

I wonder how Zano works when it's applied the way most people apply wax: Wash the car, apply a coat?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frobozz said:
After two washings, a claybar scrub and *eight* coats of various pricey products, that car damn well better sing and dance to me. I don't think that's even remotely realistic for most folks.

I wonder how Zano works when it's applied the way most people apply wax: Wash the car, apply a coat?
I wonder that too.... I wonder if they car is "reshapped" after all that rubbing. I think my MO looks different after my last wax... I put a lot of elbow grease into it. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Super Secret Member
31 Posts
Will a clay bar remove water spots from glass? If not what is the best way to remove them?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Zaino sux.

That's all you need to know.

Of course you could spend a couple of bucks buying the report from
www.gurureports.org
and find out what ALL the waxes do, but most people won't do that, because most people aren't that serious about keeping their car in top shape anyway.

"Now come on, Homer, is it really any good?"

Look, if it was good, and I told you, then everybody would use it and everybody would have a Murano that looked like a show car and then I wouldn't have anything special.
In addition they would have a car that only needed "waxing" twice a year and one that had an anti static component to cut down on dust, and also had a UV filter rated at SPF 40 to keep your paint from fading. They would have a "wax" that was made out of the same stuff their "paint" was made of (A synthetic Polymer) that would bond to their "paint" and not come off just because you used a car wash like that Carnauba stuff does.

But I will pass on one tip.
For those who just want their car to look pretty good, without much expense or without much effort, a 1/4 stick of butter liberally applied does look *****in. (And for a really top rated shine........I can't believe it's not butter is the BEST!)

Call Sal Zaino. (You can, you know. On the other hand you really can't call Barry MeGuier. And no, you really can't call Mother to ask about her wax.)
His number is on his site
www.zainobros.com

But, don't listen to the Zaino Fanatics. They all own a part of the company and are trying to personally achieve wealth at your expense. They have no sense of community that would influence their recommendations. They have never won the many Concours events they claim to have won, they have never witnessed this Corvette magazine that is rumored to have selected Zaino as #1
And they most certainly wouldn't give you the straight story on what is in The Guru Report on waxes.

So take my advice. Check out that butter trick.

Zaino sux.

:2:

Homer

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Himself

I know that a claybar will take Water spots off of paint.
I don't know about taking them off glass.
I do know that most water spots can be taken off of drinking glasses by using White Vinegar.
But if it is heavily etched I would suspect that you would need a glass polish.

Homer

·
Registered
741 Posts
Homer,

I would never give up the well-kept Z-12 secret for the water spots on glass... ;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Zaino or Butter

I am now perplexed - I was willing to take the leap to Zaino although I think the Klasse products I have been using have done pretty well, but to think I could have saved all that money and just grabbed some Land O Lakes out of the Fridge.

Homer as usual you had me ROFL.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
clay bar

Just got the Muellers Mother clay bar kit. WOW is that great, paint feels like clean glass and looks great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok, since I have never used a clay bar, what are the advantages? What is it supposed to accomplish? I keep reading about all the good things it does, but I am not sure of all it does.
It also seems like a lot of work to apply. Does it have to be wiped off after applying, like wax? Or, does it come off as you put it on?
TIA

·
4,994 Posts
Clay the MO

The lubricant makes rubbing the clay bar just like wiping a wet rag across the paint. There is no clay to wipe off only the dried lubricant that is a light wipe. You can do the whole MO in about 40 minutes.

Follow up with cleaning wax and then past wax. I did my black SLK as well and it glistnes.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
beemer-biker said:
Ok, since I have never used a clay bar, what are the advantages? What is it supposed to accomplish? I keep reading about all the good things it does, but I am not sure of all it does.
It also seems like a lot of work to apply. Does it have to be wiped off after applying, like wax? Or, does it come off as you put it on?
TIA
No it doesn't come off on the car.

It "Lifts" dirt, rail dust and other imperfections off your car.
It shouldn't be a lot of work. If it is, you are doing it wrong.
Just glide it over the lubed surface like Gripper says.
The secret is to keep it well lubed (You can just use a weak solution of dish soap and water) and just glide it over your car.
Chek it OFTEN and if you see some dirt, then Fold the dirt under until the bar is presenting a clean side to the car. If you can't fold a clean side up, throw the bar away and grab another one.
IF you drop a clay bar, you should throw it away.

Ideally you should only have to do your car when it is new and then maybe every year or two. I have clayed cars for nearly twenty years and typically clay them every couple of years.
If you have taken good care of it, and if you have cleaned the car with Dawn dishwashing soap beforehand, you should be able to clay bar a murano in less than 30 minutes, And I did mine including the top in less that 20 minutes when it was new.

Then you apply whatever protection you believe in.

I suggest that after paying <> $30,000 for a Murano, spending $10 for the definitive rating system makes sense.
Go to www.gurureports.com and check out the automotive wax report.

Homer

PS Yes, Zaino is rated #1.
But there are many others that are cheaper and easier if that is your desire that obviously aren't as good as Zaino but may be satisfactory for the level that YOU want to keep your car at.

·
4,994 Posts
Well the driving lights are not here yet, I don't have the ethernet router to load up the xbox, the PAC unit is not here yet and the xbox to NAV connector is not yet built, Sooooo I guess it's wash and clay bar and wax day for the NEW MO.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just purchased a Mothers Clay Bar Kit..

Is it recommended to "clay" the chrome painted grill, polished aluminum, etc. ???
Well, what I'm really trying to ask is...are there any parts of the car that i shouldn't touch with the clay?? (i know you arent supposed to allow any way to touch rubber parts..)
this question may be "uneducated," but just want to take some precaution..

Thanks

·
4,994 Posts
I only did the painted areas

But I doubt that it would actually hurt anytthing. Clay being softer than chrome and glass, Rubber? might be a bit messy but probably no perment damage.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nelson-

A clay bar is a mixture of a clay base (polybutene) and various abrasives. So use plenty of clay lubricant which enables the bar to "float" on the surface.

You can use detailing clay on any smooth, hard surface, including glass and chrome. However, do not use clay on clear plastic, such as headlight lenses.

This link will give you some helpful hints on using a clay bar: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 83 Posts