Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the info. on claybaring a car (even new), but still am leary about doing anything so drastic to my beautiful finish. I am going the Zaino Z2/Z6 route, but would like to know if there is any downside to not claybaring right away (and sealing). I really would like to hear any experiences you may have. I don;t want to mess up a brand new car. What are the chances of scratching?

Thanks,
RZ

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
See these threads:

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=401

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=504

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=282

If used properly, the clay bar does not scratch, it removes microscopic particles from the finish. The amount of metal shavings and what not accumulated during the first few weeks of your MO's life is amazing. The plastic baggy test is ... well awesome. Some people go for that extra little bit and some don't. It's a matter of personal preference as with most things. But it will not harm your car if it's done right. The result of claying and Zaino or Klasse etc is amazing. :4:

BTW, what color is your MO?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. My SL AWD is Pewter. I feel in love with the color immediately. Very unique (haven't seem one yet!). I was going to buy a Honda Pilot (had a deposit and all) - saw the Murano and had to have it.

RZ

·
Registered
4 Posts
This past weekend I did the whole Zaino shooting match. First the dawn bath then a dry, then the clay using the z7 wash/lube. then another bath ( z7) then a round of z5 a pass of z6 and finished with z2. the results...amazing... my mo was 2 weeks old and you could feel the clay bar working, first couple of strokes has a slight resistance then it turns like wet ice. ONE BIG MISTAKE I MADE.always wash your towels first. I didnt and was left with a bad lint problem. find attached image of the neighbors house in the fresh zaino enhanced reflection.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Wait till you get to about 5 coats of Z2............:10:

Homer

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Towels

Zaino recommends 100% cotton towels. I believe they are great.

Many professional detailers have switched to microfiber for their ability to absorb water and their ultra softness (no scratches). I have made the switch and found it true. I use Zaino as well.

I posted the web page before. I've gotten a tremendous amount of info on car care and detailing. You can do a search within this page to find out where to get the best grade of these towels.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I used zfx on the z5 and z2. I intend to get a few more z2's applied as soon as I get some weather. I also intend on doing a photo shoot after its done. So far this is the best car/truck i've ever owned. And its the only one i've ever had that I can say with honesty that I am truly satified with the audio system right from the start. I still dont understand the mileage at 700 miles i'm averaging 16-17 MPG. I expected a little higher but we will see post break-in. I'm getting off topic. Zaino is the stuff....if you take your time and FOLLOW directions. more images to follow.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
for me, the loops in the towls will drag on the surface, and leave swirls...

i use towels similar to flannel, or a felt.... (they come in yellow bundles at Kmart...)

take a close look at the ends of the towels you bought... if they have looped fibers, we aware!!

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Enforcer said:
Yep, big bath towels like Zaino recommends. The loops aren't leaving any swirls for me. Wonder if Zaino might be the difference.
im guessing the difference might be the makeup of the fibers... perhaps the 100% cotton are ideal, and the poly-blend/ cotton-blend towels are prone to swirling..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought swirl marks were due to cirle on / off motion when applying and removing traditional wax?

I use zaino, and when removing the stuff I also use the back and forth direction to buff the stuff off - no swirl marks and any car since I used it. I use the 100% cotton towels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts