Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do ya'll use to clean your rims? Get your mind out of the gutter, I am referring to the rims on your tires!

Do you use the old fashioned soapy rag or some other sort of cleaning agent? Dirt and grim get built up in there (again, talking about tires) and am wondering what works best.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
A lot of tire shops will use non chlorinated brake parts cleaner to clean brake dust from rims (hey it works on the brake rotors, why not on the wheel?). Now I imagine brake cleaner is very strong stuff, and I'm not sure I would use it on my own car at home. But I've seen it used (at multiple shops) so I just thought I'd put that thought out there.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Eric. I am quite afraid of the brake clean, so might steer clear from it. Any products you can buy at like a Target?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Coness said:
Thanks for the reply Eric. I am quite afraid of the brake clean, so might steer clear from it. Any products you can buy at like a Target?
I have had no success with any product that claims to clean brake dust better than plain household cleaner like 409 or Fantastik. I bought this Castrol product, that claims to "release brake dust on contact." Spray it on...nothing happens. Sometimes it just takes some elbow grease and good soapy water to clean them wheels.

Fortunately because Nissan uses a ceramic brake pad on the Murano, it dusts very little.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Yeah, the wheel cleaners I have seen always say to rinse immediately. Anything I have to rinse off immediately, I don't want on Mo.
I just wash them with what I wash the Mo with, blue coral wash and wax. Turtle wax wash and wax works good too.
:)

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you stay on top of them - soap and water will work fine. I would not recommend any type of chemical.

If you want to be overly anal (you started it) you can use a rubbing compound and then use a wax of sorts. The finish on the wheels is very similiar to the finish on the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try using clorox or lysol cleaning wipes. They collect a lot of the dust and dirt the first time around and you can dispose of them easily. Good luck w/the detailing!!:4:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you stay on top of them - soap and water will work fine. I would not recommend any type of chemical.

I agree with GMTURBO43.

Get them clean and each and every wash keep a long handle brush in the bucket. The last thing you do is hit the wheels and get in there with the brush. It takes 5 minutes. If you keep on top of it the sludge and yuk never has a chance to build up. They even sell a brush that is made to get in between the spokes and has a low profile. My wheels still look new and I have had the MO since Dec 27, 2003.
Bob1

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Ceramic brake pads don't have the bite of normal carbon-metallic pads (esp the high performance compounds like EBC or Porterfield) but they are better suited for OEM applications, where drivers care more about quiet braking and less dusting. I find the Murano's pads hardly dust at all.

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
use armor-all wipes (the one for interior) cleans up really great, takes out the dirt.... also within the rims.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am definitely going to stay on top of my MO's rims so that crap doesn't build up. However, on my A4, I neglected them for about 3 yrs (yeh, yeh, i know...) and that stuff was hard to get off.

I finally decided to buy some clean that I bought from Target (made by Turtle). It seemed like the safest of them all and it actually worked like a charm. It still took me about 30 minutes to clean all 4 tires, but I guess thats what I get for being a dumb ass and waiting this long! Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Amway LOC (Liquid Organic Cleanser), in hot water, all sudsy, with a nice rag...and, voila...no break dust. Plus LOC is literally, biodegradable, the only kind of cleanser that doesn't kill the grass around the driveway when I wash it!

Regards,

Big

·
Registered
63 Posts
P21S

I've been using P21S for ions, and I have not found anything better. The wheels also stay cleaner longer once they've been cleaned a few times.:2:

·
Registered
256 Posts
they are now selling the Mr. Clean Eraser in the automotive sections. Did a great job on the 'Benz alloys (talk about brake dust!)Haven't needed to use them on the MO yet, but did a spectacular job on the 'Benz wheels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got done babying our new '04 SL AWD with it's first official hand-waxing/rim cleaning on Sat. and the local auto parts store had me use Mother's Aluminum and Mag Cleaner. The stuff was like just about melted butter and required almost no extra elbow grease at all to clean off all acumulated gunk from the aftermarket rims the dealer put on the Mo when we bought it. I don't know about the factory rims (what they are made of as the Mother's isn't for use on chrome, painted, and anodized rims). I'll attempt to post a picture of the "after", but if it doesn't work I'll just say I was very impressed with the ease of use and the end results.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
ewald88 said:
I just got done babying our new '04 SL AWD with it's first official hand-waxing/rim cleaning on Sat. and the local auto parts store had me use Mother's Aluminum and Mag Cleaner. The stuff was like just about melted butter and required almost no extra elbow grease at all to clean off all acumulated gunk from the aftermarket rims the dealer put on the Mo when we bought it. I don't know about the factory rims (what they are made of as the Mother's isn't for use on chrome, painted, and anodized rims). I'll attempt to post a picture of the "after", but if it doesn't work I'll just say I was very impressed with the ease of use and the end results.
If the Mothers wheel wax was not for chrome rims, and it worked on your chrome rims, I see no reason why the standard Nissan silver painted wheels would not benefit as well.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Being that our rims are painted - you can treat them like any other painted part of your vehicle - wax.

You don't need anything special. In fact - even a lot of the non-painted aluminum rims will still have clear coat and can also be treated like any other car finish.

Now - if they are polished.......that requires special care.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts