Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally a sunny day here in Seattle and I actually had time to wash the MO today. The rims (SL 5 spoke) managed to bloody two knuckles (actually it was the discs while I was trying to reach in to clean the whole rim). I'm used to this having owned a 91 CBR 600 F2 which has to have the most evil rims to clean of all time! My qusetion is, do any of you have any secrets for cleaning the rims (the whole rim), or is it bloody knuckles for life? Thanks!

PS- as I'm typing this it has started to rain! Figures!

·
Registered
781 Posts
On the Typhoon I pull the rims off about once every two months. While it isn't the most time effecient way of doing it - it does work really well. What I've done on the M is pull a rag behind the spoke and get what you can that way. There are some places where it is easy to reach your hand in - you can always roll the car forward/backward to reach that spot. Getting the caliper side blows.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah... I don't clean that far inside :p

I keep the outside as clean as I can with washing and meguiar wheel cleaner. They always look good, especially when compared to Exploders who have BLACK front rims. Gah!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Oh yeah - I almost forgot. I wax the backside of the wheel to keep the in between washings easier.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I did this on my mustang with the bullit 5 spokes and it seemed to work:

I took the wheel off and waxed the inside of each rim with Meguiars 3 step process, took a while, but after that, each wash was easy as can be. Also, before I waxed them I used a paint thinner to get off all the grime that the soapy water and rag could not get off. Then after each wash I used a brush with a long handle to get in there. They were clean as can be and the entire rim, inside and out looked amazing! It was a pain to do, but its amazing how wonderful you can feel knowing that the entire car is spotless and you did it!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Clean Machine!

I found when washing my car, I use a long handle soft bristle brush that you can get any any auto store. Get the soft bristle so that you can get it inside past the spoke and onto the inside rim, If you don't get that gunk it will always be bleeding out.
Of course you do this last as the wash pail will become foul with the grungy stuff.
I also have an 3.5, 2002 Altima. I do this every wash and the rims look brand new.
Be careful with those spray on wheel cleaners. I have tried 4 or 5 different ones. Some will leave white residue stains that are a ***** to clean up. If you mess em up with that you will have to wax it off.

Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
i use one of those terry cloth gloves to clean my wheels. i was also getting the bloody knuckles, cause i like to clean the whole wheel, found this cuts back on the nicks and makes it easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts