Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys have some clear plastic film at the bottom of both rear doors?

It's located at the bottom rear of each rear door, in front of the rear wheel well. It's a rectangle of clear plastic, maybe measuring about 3 inches x 5 inches.

I ask because I acutally peeled mine off about 6 mons ago, thinking this was plastic film that was just applied during the shipping process and didn't serve any purpose now. Well today, after washing my car, I noticed a lot of little very small paint chips in this area on both sides. Not really noticable unless you look real close (my car is silver) but definitlely not there several mons ago.

I'm now wondering if I should have left that film there. Maybe Nissan knew that area was prone to chips from road debris (it at the botoom of the rear door where the shape of the rear door becomes concave in front of the rear wheel well) and that's why it was there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought that piece of film was something that should be taken off as well. I engaged patience though, and asked my dealer's service dept. manager about it before doing so. He said to leave it on. It's there to protect a vulnerable area of the car from kicked up stones, etc.

·
Registered
834 Posts
It is there to protect the paint front sand, dirt, rocks, etc being kicked up by the rear tires.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Uh... yeah. That's the same 6 mil thick clear bra stuff you can add to the front of any car. But Nissan adds that to protect the paint from chipping.

I'd go and buy those pieces from Nissan. I don't think they're too expensive. To reapply, use a soap/water mixture and spray it on the door liberally. (Make sure you wash the car before you do this.) Then use a rubber squeege, apply the film like window tint. Start at one corner and work toward a diagonal corner while using the squeeze to press-out air pockets and excess water/soap. Don't drive the MO for 24 hours after to let the film set. (The soap/water mixture keeps the adhesive from holding onto the paint too quickly and allows you time to move the film around and squeeze out air bubbles.)

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yes I also noticed the plastic film. I agree with rtking that its the same as the 3M stoneguard clearbra material.

I would check with the dealer first before trying to install it yourself. I hear it is rather tricky, although its a relatively flat surface so maybe its not as tedious as installing say, a front end bra with this material.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think the dealer removed those from mine. I use cleartastic on my vette and the stuff works real well. I'd leave it on if I had it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts