Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so yesterday as I was leaving work I noticed that every time I depress the brake pedal when it’s in Park position, the underneath of the gear shift handle makes a click sound. Again, it only does it every time I press on the brake while my car is in Park position only. I can be at a stoplight and press on the brake to come to a full stop and nothing. What is this? Has anyone experienced this with their Murano? Should I be concerned? Maybe it was always there idk but the noise seems more audible now 5 months after I bought my car since I just noticed it yesterday. I tried to look it up on the manual as to what it might be and nothing.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Ok so yesterday as I was leaving work I noticed that every time I depress the brake pedal when it’s in Park position, the underneath of the gear shift handle makes a click sound. Again, it only does it every time I press on the brake while my car is in Park position only. I can be at a stoplight and press on the brake to come to a full stop and nothing. What is this? Has anyone experienced this with their Murano? Should I be concerned? Maybe it was always there idk but the noise seems more audible now 5 months after I bought my car since I just noticed it yesterday. I tried to look it up on the manual as to what it might be and nothing.
It's nothing to be concerned about. There's a solenoid in that area that clicks when you depress the brake pedal in Park to allow you to move the shifter to the other drive modes. It's a safety interlock... That's why it only occurs when in Park mode.

• Love
Reactions: misshely

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's nothing to be concerned about. There's a solenoid in that area that clicks when you depress the brake pedal in Park to allow you to move the shifter to the other drive modes. It's a safety interlock... That's why it only occurs when in Park mode.
Thank you! 🙂

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
As I posted in one of your past threads regarding a sound when you depressed the brake, one morning that solenoid started clicking loudly when it never did the first few months I had MO. Either it's broken in and now is overly noticable, or something is loose. I went to a dealership and tried to make that noise with two new Muranos, and I was unable to. My guess is, something's loose (such as a mounting bracket or the solenoid itself) and it's racking against its bolts during activation, or the solenoid piston itself is wearing in and making a little noise.

Just like with you, it happened to me all of a sudden. One minute it was quiet, then on the second or third startup after returning from shopping, it was very loud. That's why I thought someone had bumped into my car in the parking lot while I was inside. It appeared that out of the blue.

EDIT: Maybe it was designed to make noise after a certain time so that car owners would become concerned and bring the vehicle in for service... :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I posted in one of your past threads regarding a sound when you depressed the brake, one morning that "solenoid" started clicking when it never did the first few months I had MO. Either it's "broken in" and now is more noticable, or something is loose. I went to a dealership and tried to make that noise with two new Muranos, and I was unable to. My guess is, something's loose (such as a mounting bracket or the solenoid itself) and it's racking against its bolts during activation, or the solenoid piston itself is wearing in and making a little noise.

Just like with you, it happened to me all of a sudden. One minute it was quiet, then on the second or third startup after returning from shopping, it was clicky. That's why I thought someone had bumped into my car in the parking lot while I was inside. It appeared that out of the blue.

EDIT: Maybe it was designed to make noise after a certain time so that car owners would become concerned and bring the vehicle in for service... :)
Did it get fixed or was it lose or you just left it alone since it’s apparently normal and still makes that click sound?

·
Registered
391 Posts
It is normal. There is nothing to fix.

·
Registered
121 Posts
page 5-22 of the owners manual says

shift lock release If the battery charge is low or discharged, the shift lever may not be moved from the P (Park) position even with the brake pedal depressed and the shift lever button pressed. To move the shift lever, perform the following procedure: 1. Place the ignition switch in the OFF or LOCK position. 2. Apply the parking brake. 3. Remove the shift lock release cover using a suitable tool. 4. Push down the shift lock release using a suitable tool. 5. Press the shift lever button and move the shift lever to the N (Neutral) position while holding down the shift lock release. The vehicle may be moved to the desired location. Replace the removed shift lock release cover after the operation. If the shift lever cannot be moved out of the P (Park) position, have the Continuously Variable Transmission system checked as soon as possible. It is recommended that you visit a NISSAN dealer for this service

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just had my front brakes and rotors replaced. Got in to take her home and now have a MUCH more noticeable mechanical click sound when depressing the brake pedal while in park. I realize it’s unlocking the gear-shifter (for safety) but I have NEVER heard it be so loud before. Perhaps it’s something that happens during brake fluid bleeding after new install? I can live with it since it’s only happening in Park but wanted to mention my experience.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Just had my front brakes and rotors replaced. Got in to take her home and now have a MUCH more noticeable mechanical click sound when depressing the brake pedal while in park. I realize it’s unlocking the gear-shifter (for safety) but I have NEVER heard it be so loud before. Perhaps it’s something that happens during brake fluid bleeding after new install? I can live with it since it’s only happening in Park but wanted to mention my experience.
Just curious...what year is your MO and what's the mileage when the noise became louder after the brake job? You joined in 2015, so I'm guessing it's a 2015. Mine's a 2021, and I think it was around the fourth month of ownership at about maybe 12,000 miles that the loud solenoid click seemed to appear out of nowhere one morning. It hasn't gotten any louder, so it's possible the solenoid just "breaks in" after such and such of whatever and the sound becomes very noticable. I should also mention that during the first few months of ownership, I performed some panic stops to see how the car would react. Perhaps being aggressove on the brakes (or doing a brake job where they're pumping the brake pedal aggressively) somehow affects the solenoid.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just ignore everyone's comments to the contrary as it's perfectly normal. Try to enjoy a nice car without such sensitivity and enjoy the ride. It's a car and not your family room with perfect surround sound.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Just ignore everyone's comments to the contrary as it's perfectly normal. Try to enjoy a nice car without such sensitivity and enjoy the ride.
The fact that some owners are suddenly hearing it clearly suggests something is happening that makes the solenoid louder. Also, the fact that I tried to duplicate the sound in two new Muranos at the dealership and couldn't also suggests the solenoid starts to become loud after a period of driving and/or braking. Nobody's saying it's annoying and that they're not enjoying their car...they're simply mentioning the existence of a new noise. And, yes, it may be normal to hear after a certain period of time, but it wasn't a "normal" sound for the first four months I drove it.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
IMO it's just one of those sounds that you mostly don't hear...unless you start focusing on it... JMO...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You guys sound like some of those difficult mechanics who don't beleive what a vehicle owner says is happening with their own car.

I'm not saying the solenoid click isn't normal, but I am disputing that the solenoid was that loud when I first bought the car. It wasn't. As I said, I went to the dealership shortly after my MO's solenoud became loud to try to replicate the sound in two new Platinium MOs with under 20 miles, and that solenoid click was not that pronounced; it was substantially more faint.. Something apparently makes it sound louder after either a period of time or wear. Also, as I've mentioned before, my 2003 MO didn't start having a loud solenoid click until a few years ago, and I had that car for 18+ years. It's a louder sound that was triggered by something.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In reference to the idea that it’s nothing and one should just ignore it and learn to just enjoy the ride…..I learned a long time ago that you should ALWAYS investigate any and all “differences” when operating anything that has an engine. Little things, sometimes no matter how little, tend to turn into BIG things if left to fester. Since buying this car (my 3rd MO) and after driving her some 80k Ive come to know her quite well. Most of my cars have been very good at informing me of a pending problem because for some reason I’m able to detect even the slightest difference in click, start, rev, brake, shift, rattle, blink, smell, or what have you. My suspicion is that it is merely a well traveled brake-shifter-safety-release-solenoid that, due to the front brakes and rotor replacement, is letting me know it’s showing some wear and tear. I just want to be sure that it’s not something that needs replacing so I don’t get in the car tomorrow and find that it’s now completely failed and I have to go through the trouble of manually releasing the gear-shifter because I ignored the signs that it was getting ready to happen. At any rate this site is designed to share these very things and it does help.

Reactions: Cryogenix1

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Just for reference, I have been reading this forum for many years, and I don't recall seeing any reports of a safety release solenoid that failed and needed to be replaced... If it does occur occasionally, it's very rare IMO...

So hopefully there is nothing to be concerned about, but you are correct to investigate any and all changes you perceive, and to correct any problems proactively.

Reactions: Pilgrim
1 - 16 of 16 Posts