Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm getting a odd noise/feeling through the shifter when coming to stop, but right before, around 5MPH.

It's not the TC, that disengages around 15-18.

It sounds like a lock-out motor in the shifter, like the one that prevents you from shifting to D from P if you don't have your foot on the brake.

Put your hand on the shifter and step on the brake. You will feel and maybe hear a slight clicking. That is a solenoid type motor unlocking the shifter. I'm getting the same thing right before coming to a stop.

Could this be another solenoid motor locking out R until 5MPH??

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
There is a Nissan TSB regarding ticking sound at the shifter. I believe most TSBs are posted to this forum so you might want to look for it.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, but I believe the TSB applies when moving the shifter. This is at the same MPH every time when slowing to a stop.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I now have 13k miles and no big problems, but still the clicking sound.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think I know.

Attn Mfreed. This may be of interest.
In addition to my 04-MO, I also own a 2002-3.5 Altima. I really like that car. I now have 22000 miles on it and yesterday had my first problem. Yes that same annoying click from the shifter. It only happens below 5MPH or at a standstill. Every time you tap the brakes click, click is heard and felt on the shifter.
Since the MO sits on the Altima Chassis and same exact engine maybe a few of the problems are the same.
See the TSB link below for the exact problem you mention.
Looks like a solenoid opens and closes as this is the fail safe that prevents a shift if your foot is not on the brake when moving the A/T shifter.
http://www.altimas.net/tsb/NTB02-045/page1.pdf

See if this sounds like the problem.
Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
BUMP

Anyone else has notice this problem?
I too have this click noise everytime(100%) car slows down to around 5~6mph.
As Bob has mentioned, but slightly different, it seems like safety feature that solenoid opens/closes at around 5mph not when the brake applied. Noticed that there is one solenoid associated with the brake also but this problem at least mine is different.
Also the sound is pretty loud on a cold mornings and throughout winter, though it got quieter as temperatures are now 80~90s. But still in the morning it's noticeably loud.

Just wanted to get back on this problem if anyone else has experienced and got it fixed!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a clicking noise, but not sure if its the same problem as you. It seems to occur when I press on the accelerator and when I let off on the pedal. My local Nissan dealer is having the engineers look into this problem, they are suspecting they need transmission fluid with thicker vescosity, but even the dealer think they might be full of it on this excuse.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
simplesb, think you are running into something else. My Mo is fine but my Altima has a distinct metalic click at the shifter. It is without question the solenoid. Again, only at speeds under 5 MPH or just sitting at a dead standstill.It's the do-hickey that is preventing a shift from P to R or Drive without your foot on the brake. I was like a pittbull on a soup bone with my Altima. I was sure it was a defect on my car only. I sat in many brand new Altima's on the lot and sure enough. click goes the shifter. Design flaw but not an issue of safety.
Again, I am certain it has nothing to do with the gas pedal.
You need to explore elsewhere.
Good luck.
Bob1

·
Shift_quality
31 Posts
Finally... after looking for an hour on here I found this thread. THANK GOODNESS!

After 3 months of ownership, my brand new '06 started this annoying "click" when coming to a stop. Maybe it's been doing it all along, but I noticed it today and I can't stop focusing on it when I come to a stop. CLICK... damnit!

Good to see they have a dampener for this problem. But, it seems that since this has been a known issue since 2001, why is a brand new '06 doing it?

Grrrrrr.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Grim said:
Good to see they have a dampener for this problem. But, it seems that since this has been a known issue since 2001, why is a brand new '06 doing it? Grrrrrr.
Grim-

Actually, it could only have been an issue on the Murano since 2003, not 2001. But you are right, you would think Nissan would have gotten it fixed after all this time.

-njjoe

·
Shift_quality
31 Posts
Well, the reason I said "2001" is because that's when the TSB was written for the Altima (which the MO body is based on) back in 2001.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
njjoe said:
...you would think Nissan would have gotten it fixed after all this time. -njjoe
I think given the number of VQs out there it isn't an issue to be fixed.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Gonzo said:

I think given the number of VQs out there it isn't an issue to be fixed.
Gonzo-

Apparently Nissan thinks otherwise. Five years ago Nissan published a TSB that specifically addressed this issue in the Murano's cousin, the Altima. You would think that sometime during these past 5 years they would have modified their assembly procedures to ensure the problem does not occur.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I have the ticking sound too but it is almost un-noticable. Maybe it helps to be deaf in the right ear......:2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi, has anyone been able to get the dealer to repair this? If so, can you please post what was done? Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts