Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and searched this forum for an hour trying to find the cause and solution for this problem yesterday. I did not find it, so I am posting here for the next person.

I came out of a store and my key fob worked (I heard the unlock sound), however the car would immediately re-lock itself, I was able to get into the car using the key in the door. When I finally got into the car, I noticed a light on the dashboard was now on - it is a red car with a key inside of it. When I was inside the car, I heard a constant clicking or ticking noise underneath the dashboard. I wasn't far from home, so I drove home hoping I was not messing anything up with the car, as it kept ticking when the car was on or off.

When I got home, and retried lock unlock using the key fob or the car's power lock buttons - the car would automatically lock all doors. I was thinking one of the actuators went bad, and was locking/unlocking all the other actuators and also somehow making the clicking noise under the dashboard. When I was outside the car and opened the door, the car horn would sound off. This happened with both of our key fobs. I figured I should work on this the next day as I was not getting anywhere. I left the window open when I closed the car door so I could get in the next day easier. Well, the car then locked itself and rolled up all the windows. Ugh..

At this point I figured it may not be the actuators (I could hear them lock/unlock), so I thought it may be the security system gone awry and the security system had to be reset. I couldn't figure out how to reset this, so I disconnected the negative battery terminal and let it set overnight - hoping it would reset if it didn't have power for a while.

A little more reading on this forum trying to find another person with a similar problem turned up a semi-related solution of someone changing out their key fob battery. Both our key fobs were working, but it was worth the experiment.

Next day after a short trip to the store for a 2025 battery and installing it - Bam its finally working again ! This did not start working right after putting in the new battery - it took quite a few locks/unlocks to get this working. I tested the old batteries and they were VERY low - on both our key fobs at the same time.

All I can figure is that the key fob has both a lock/unlock feature and a "this is a valid key fob" feature. When the battery is low, it may power the lock/unlock feature, but it will not power the "this is a valid key fob" feature. Replacing the key fob battery is the solution, so it can power both these features.

I hope nobody else ever has this problem, it was very tough to figure out. If you do have this problem, I hope it is easy as changing the key fob battery.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Hopefully it was the key fob battery, but it's strange it would cause what you have described...

It's still possible you have the problem and it's intermittent, otherwise replacing the fob's battery would have corrected it right away I would think...

If the problem returns, check the relay for that circuit, it could be what's clicking under the dash. Many of the relays are located near the driver's side fuse box, is that where the clicking noise seemed to be coming from?

If you need the service manuals, you can find them here:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had the blinking red car problem last year, and I thought it was due to a bad immobilizer sensor, or a bad key chip, or weak fob battery, or the valet key being kept in or close to the car... Turns out, it was a bad NEG battery wire to the frame. The act of playing with the battery cable may cure it momentarily, as it did for me. You can read about my problem and solution here... Car won't start - ignition issue - immobilizer sensor

As MuranoSL2003 said, it might still be a problem that will emerge later. Hopefully not.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you @MuranoSL2003 and @Cryogenix1 - that is some great advice !

I really hope the key fob fixed it, but I too think that was very, very strange fix to the problem. I did think a relay was going to be my next step.

Perhaps my resetting the negative terminal at the same time also helped the fix.

🤞

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Keep us updated, it may help others in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So question am trying to program a 06 murano key fob but my ignition switch has that little slot thing on it and I only have the mechanical key so how would I go by program it??????

·
Administrator
9,369 Posts
So question am trying to program a 06 murano key fob but my ignition switch has that little slot thing on it and I only have the mechanical key so how would I go by program it??????
Please start a new thread. Your problem is different from the one discussed in this thread.

Reactions: kristianmartin
1 - 7 of 7 Posts