Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is something I've noticed after the vehicle has been sitting cold for a while in or out of the garage wet or dry. Upon stepping up and placing weight on the vehicle ie. getting in and sitting, I always here a clunk that comes from the rear underside. It happens on both sides but only once, then not again until its been sitting for more that a few hours. Sounds like suspension. Its like clockwork, but it has to be sitting for awhile to reoccur.

Any ideas here?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I would guess either the suspension mounts, bushings, or maybe the antiroll bar.

Or, maybe the parking brake? I remember hearing a strange high piched wincing noise, whenever I got into the car (or slammed the door). I traced it to the parking brake. Apparently those activities caused the weight of the car to shift onto the parking brake, causing them to make a little noise. A trip to the Nissan dealer confirmed this (they offered to lube the parking brake cable for me, but I said don't bother, its so minor).

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
ADV same exact issue with mine...

Here is my theory, when you get in the car it moves a little and the rotors have rusted slightly and "stick". When you get in the car it moves the brakes and unsticks them. I have not tried this but I was going to try getting in the car without causing forward or reverse motion and see if it still makes the noise with a down force only. If it still does than Eric is correct and is a susspension issue.

I don't have an interior noises but between this clunk and the engine girggle on startup makes me wonder.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Gonzo - your description is better than mine about the parking brake - its what I think as well (if its tha parking brake).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally agree about the brakes, but I'm almost sure that MO is not moving forward or back. My garage slopes out so the tranny lock is the formost forward position it can be. Basically it does this every single day so I'll try some experimenting. Gonzo let me know if your convinced its suspension.
It would be impossible for the dealer to diagnose because it only clunks once in one day (in the morning or after sitting several hours).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts