Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have recently bought a 05 Murano and I love it. I have been browsing this forum for awhile but haven't posted until now. I also own a RSX so i'm usually on there most the time.

I have noticed on the murano that whenever i go over any bumps , i hear a noticeably cluncking sound. SOmething like metal banking together underneath the rear. I have brought the car into the dealer and they found nothing.

Has anybody else experience this problem? It is pretty annoying everytime you go over any bumps or cracks on the road.

Thanks in advance. Other than that, this is the best suv i've owned.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
Have the dealer's technician ride with you and then drive over some bumps to let them hear the noise. They will always be "unable to reproduce the problem" if you just leave them the keys without showing it to them first.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
that sounds like the trim the stops on the shock sound.
Anybody have a link to that TSB?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
The TSBs pertaining to noise originating from the rear do not affect the 2005 models.

I suggest trying to duplicate the conditions where the noise is the most pronounced (i.e. accelerating, braking or coasting? what is the speed? a certain stretch of road?) and drive over the spot with the windows open to see if you can determine what area the sound is coming from. The more info you give the service personnel the better your chances of getting it fixed.

-njjoe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
It might also be overflated tires. I run mine about 2-3psi above the door specs (which are 33psi) and have no problems. Often times the dealer will deliver a new Murano with the tires pumped up to 45 or higher (since they never lowered the pressure after shipping the car).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
njjoe said:
The TSBs pertaining to noise originating from the rear do not affect the 2005 models.
What are those TSBs? I have a 2004 and I've been trying (in vein) to get my dealer to acknowledge and fix phantom noises from my rear suspension for months now...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
prosdmurano said:

I have noticed on the murano that whenever i go over any bumps , i hear a noticeably cluncking sound. SOmething like metal banking together underneath the rear. I have brought the car into the dealer and they found nothing.

I had a very similar issue. It took 3 trips to 2 different service departments to resolve.

It turned out that the parking brake cable came disconnected from a clip near the right rear wheel well.

The noise was especially noticeable when driving with the windows down alongside a wall.

Perhaps that's your problem as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
Is everthing secure inside the rear cargo hatch. Spare tire tight, etc. If all is not tight, you may get some clunking back there as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
elliotgb said:
Is everthing secure inside the rear cargo hatch. Spare tire tight, etc. If all is not tight, you may get some clunking back there as well.
You might want to make sure the emergency jack is secured too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - Brought the murano into the dealer today. I showed the service manager there was a tbs regarding this issue for 2003 model. Since mine was a 05, he said that does not pertains to it. SO anyways, we took the vehicle out on a road test to reproduce the noise, sure enough it was there. Took it back to service and again they cannot find anything wrong. This was the second time they inspected it and couldn't find anything. So now i'm stuck with this annoying sound since the dealer cannot do anything beyond what they've already done. Unfortunately, this might be the last nissan i own. I still love the murano though
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
prosdmurano said:
Update - Brought the murano into the dealer today. I showed the service manager there was a tbs regarding this issue for 2003 model. Since mine was a 05, he said that does not pertains to it. SO anyways, we took the vehicle out on a road test to reproduce the noise, sure enough it was there. Took it back to service and again they cannot find anything wrong. This was the second time they inspected it and couldn't find anything. So now i'm stuck with this annoying sound since the dealer cannot do anything beyond what they've already done. Unfortunately, this might be the last nissan i own. I still love the murano though
Sorry you had a bad dealer experience. Did they at least acknowledge the noise was there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
I have the same sort of issue with a shifter knob being loose. The SM refuses to believe it needs repair.

I think it's time to find another dealership that will address our problems.

I'm reminded of that scene in JAWS, where Richard Drufus says to the sheriff and the mayor: 'he won't realize he has a shark problem until it swims up and bites him in the ass'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
elliotgb said:
I have the same sort of issue with a shifter knob being loose. The SM refuses to believe it needs repair.

I think it's time to find another dealership that will address our problems.

I'm reminded of that scene in JAWS, where Richard Drufus says to the sheriff and the mayor: 'he won't realize he has a shark problem until it swims up and bites him in the ass'.

My shifter knob is also loose.... how I wish there was more than one Nissan dealership within reasonable distance around here. *sigh*
 

·
Enjoying the ride…
Joined
·
452 Posts
I had similar problem, but I had grinding noise over bumps. I went to service department and they fixed. Brake cable was loose and they re-secure it. But now I have a clicking noise, similar to what you have and I am going to go back with this when they will call me with my new alternator I am waiting for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I just installed some Polyair rear springs, no more rear clunk from the rear but the front will still bang on a pothole.

Great to have when you have a load of picnc gear and 4 mountain bikes on the rear tow bar, when drop you off at the garage to pump up the the bike tyres you pump the air springs up to 30PSI and no more spring sag.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,777 Posts
I just installed some Polyair rear springs, no more rear clunk from the rear but the front will still bang on a pothole.
That's probable evidence that you need new front shocks.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top