Nissan Murano Forum banner

Clunking noise when turn left/right and accelerating - 2010 Murano SL

859 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  I need coffee 
#1 ·
When I turn and accelerate either left or right, I hear a clunk clunk clunk clunk noise. Only happens when cornering and accelerating. It’s a 2010 Nissan Murano SL AWD with 91K miles.

I took it to two mechanics. Firestone said it was the front axles but the guy wasn’t even aware it had rear axles until I told him so he didn’t check them. The other mechanic - who was recommended by a friend - said the axles are fine and it’s probably the rear differential or transfer case, and that my rear left CV axle was recently replaced but there is some “play” with it (loose, I guess?). I don’t know much about my car’s repair history. I recently bought it from a friend who got it at an auction.

Not sure what I should do at this point. Should I just take it to a dealer? Does this sound like a serious issue? I know close to nothing about cars so any help is appreciated!

#2 ·
When I turn and accelerate either left or right, I hear a clunk clunk clunk clunk noise. Only happens when cornering and accelerating. It’s a 2010 Nissan Murano SL AWD with 91K miles.
This noise and when it occurs (turning and/or under acceleration) is typical of a bad CV axle. If it was the transfer case or rear differential, the noise would probably be heard all the time. Did the second mechanic actually confirm where the noise was coming from or just speculating?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.