·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Just a note.
If any of you guys ever hit me while you are watching NEMO, there will be a fatality.
That's a guarantee.

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
I'm with you Homer on this one.............

I see well too often people driving 80 mph talking on the cell phones and taking notes. Some even do make up! And we are talking responsibility!!!!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
At the risk of offending a good many excellent participants on this forum who love their "navs" / GPS's / DVD's etc., I think the safe operation of a vehicle requires the full concentration of all senses on the control of the vehicle.... I personally enjoy driving with the window down..no radio or anything on...listening to the mechanical operation of the vehicle with the occasional check of the tach/speedo, etc...just my personal opinion...

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
While I did do some crazy modifications to my car I always use it with great caution and I never leave a movie playing on the front screen when driving......

But I guess I have common sense and others dont. As far as I am concerned even if a movie was playing I COULDN'T be distracted. I care too much for the safety of myself and my passengers.

But since we are on this topic let me point out that the nav system itself can be a greater distraction than a movie. The screen is always moving and changing especially when a critical change is approaching. I guess my point is that a girl crossing the street could be a big enough distraction to cause an accident. It is always up to the driver to determine what his/her priorities are. My priority is always safety.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I first got the MO, I was very intrigued by the Nav and display, and played with it quite a bit (to the extent that it allowed while in motion). I must have gotten really used to it by now, since I am not distracted by the moving map. I have had passengers in my car who become absolutely fixated on the display and ask how I can drive with the video show constantly going on. One of my friends actually started to get sick from looking at the moving map (I keep it in Bird's Eye View). I switched the display to the night-time colors, and that seemed to help him a lot.

Being a former motorcycle rider, I have always been aware of the importance of being alert. I'm also fascinated with the electronics, but not to the point of risking the safety of my passengers or the people around me.

I bought a portable rear seat DVD unit for my kids, but refuse to hook the audio into the MO. I don't want to even be distracted buy the movie/video game noise, and it allows the Missus and me to enjoy our music while the kids are satiated. They just use their headphones, and everyone's happy.

Speaking of distractions, I also find that the steering wheel mounted audio controls really help me keep my eye on the road. I have to admit that the Nissan layout is the most intuitive and easiest to use that I have seen. We've had my wife's Bonneville since 1998, and I still have to look at the darn wheel to figure out which button to push!

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Hey Mike, great to see you again!

Having had nav for about 3 1/2 years, I can say that there are some techniques I've developed for using the nav when driving. For one thing, I feel like I've been able to integrate the nav so tightly into my driving style that it feels like I drive at whatever altitude the bird's eye view simulates. I know before other drivers that another major highway interchange is a mile ahead around the corner, and that it could be a heavy merge. I know that I need to get off at a certain exit 7 or 8 miles ahead instead of the standard 2 mile warning. I know ahead of time when I'm going to have to make a quick series of turns, and I get to see it and review the exact sequence miles before I actually get to the area and have to execute it.

My favorite is when its nighttime and I'm stuck on a highway in the middle of nowhere in dead stopped traffic, and I request a detour that takes me through the countryside to juke the traffic. Usually there are just one or two other cars who are back there with me and when we round turns I can see a nav shining away on their dash or console. It feels like an entirely different way to drive -- a state of ultra-awareness of your surroundings. A way of knowing things you as a human being are not supposed to know.

But in any case. Yes, for some people it can be distracting and turn them into a risk on the roadways. Especially when they're watching movies. Some of us can handle it with maturity and a sense of responsibility, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That case points out just why you will not see a DVD the is visible from the front seat or operable in drive mode from any of the OEM's. Huge potential for liability in an accident, plus in many places they are just simply illegal. To bad the after market company that made the system in the pick-up doesn't have to meet the same regulations as the OEM.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Human brain can process more information than

their five senses.

Case 1:
When one is sitting in a room listening to a speech/talk, sometimes your mind can wonder to some distant places. Or you can critically asked your self questions and anticipate every sentences that the speaker going to say. Being a critical listener.
Your ear, one of human sense, is operating slower than your brain.

Case 2:
If the speech become too mundane, one finds no need to focus 100% to listen to the speech. Hence, he let his brain wonders further. In the end, nothing get to your brain because u r not paying attention.

--
Just like the speech analogy, oem nav is designed in such way not to be able to be operated during vehicle operation i.e only when the car is at stop. The argument is: for a normal person with normal IQ, spliting the focus between observing the road and observing the nav screen is still consider safe (within their human brain and senses processing power). There was lots of study on this ergonomics design circa 1990s. I got a friend who got a phd in nav and vehicle console design.

Now, if you do beyond that, to operate the nav + drive simult or even to watch a dvd + drive, it goes beyond the normal human brain and therefore goes beyond oem intended-design.
It is still safe for some drivers, but maybe not for most drivers.

Some people got a better hand-eye coordinations.
Some people dont. Admit it,
Why donald trump get to marry a sexy model?
Because not eveyone is created equal. Yes, life is unfair :rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
word of advice.....use navigation when you really need it.....its a tool not a toy.....dont watch movie on navi screen, this mod is for others to enjoy and if you really wanna watch movie....let someone else drive....and if you absolutly have to watch movie....watch it when you go on long trips......no sense watching a movie when your going to work which is 10 mins from your home....its scientific fact that 65% people who goes to work are alway in rush. Imagine your running late to work and then watching movie on screen.....it cant get any worse than that....why take someone else's life for your carelessness.

·
4,664 Posts
Chancie23 said:
That case points out just why you will not see a DVD the is visible from the front seat or operable in drive mode from any of the OEM's. Huge potential for liability in an accident, plus in many places they are just simply illegal. To bad the after market company that made the system in the pick-up doesn't have to meet the same regulations as the OEM.
It's illegal in all of Canada. Have it up front and get in an accident and an asute prosecuter will cook your behind.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I do wish that NAV screens swiveled.
I think it makes sense for a Nav screen to swivel toward the Navigator and be active input at that time.
Then have it turn back to Passive when swiveled back to the Pilot.

Of, course i know it would take about a New York mMinute to override this plan.......

I have gone on record many times that if you hit me you better kill me if you are watching movies, playing with your nav, stc.

Otherwise, if I can crawl out of the wreckage, your official cause of death will be Nav in Anus.

Homer

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Homer

Your are about to make me rethink my grand tour this spring from including Long Boat Key and Saint Armunds. I sure don't want to die from Navinanus, that sound very painfull. GRIP :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts