Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Murano code PO725.
Wife called the other day stating the car was jerking while driving then stopped moving (snowing and roads could been slightly icy). Turned off engine for a short time and restarted engine, drove still jerked. Did her shopping and drove home without any problems of any kind. Could the be the vehicle input speed sensor????

thanks for any advice
Larry

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Just to rule them out, have your battery and alternator load tested at a place like AutoZone to be sure they are performing correctly, all the computer modules depends on a stable power supply...

If your battery terminals have ANY corrosion, clean them and make sure they are snug after.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,098 Posts
2010 Murano code PO725.
Wife called the other day stating the car was jerking while driving then stopped moving (snowing and roads could been slightly icy). Turned off engine for a short time and restarted engine, drove still jerked. Did her shopping and drove home without any problems of any kind. Could the be the vehicle input speed sensor????

thanks for any advice
Larry
P0725 Engine Speed Input Circuit

That particular code has to do with engine speed (i.e. RPMs) and not vehicle speed. Basically, the TCM has a problem with the engine speed signal it's getting from the ECM. Before jumping into the deep end looking for problems with the transmission, check the battery and charging system as MuranoSL2003 suggested as any issue with these can cause strange circuit faults.

If those check out fine, there's an app you can download for $5 if you have an android phone or tablet called CVTz50 that can do some good CVT diagnostics (...you would also need a cheap OBDII wireless dongle to interface).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P0725 Engine Speed Input Circuit

That particular code has to do with engine speed (i.e. RPMs) and not vehicle speed. Basically, the TCM has a problem with the engine speed signal it's getting from the ECM. Before jumping into the deep end looking for problems with the transmission, check the battery and charging system as MuranoSL2003 suggested as any issue with these can cause strange circuit faults.

If those check out fine, there's an app you can download for $5 if you have an android phone or tablet called CVTz50 that can do some good CVT diagnostics (...you would also need a cheap OBDII wireless dongle to interface).
thanks fellas for the advice will check out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did have the battery and alternator load tested all was good. Need to clean battery posts and cables yet, Also waiting for the elm 327 adaptor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Saturday s was snowing and roads were a mess here. I was able to drive the car myself, it did the jerking. I stopped and turned on the AWD. Next time I looked the AWD emblem was not luminated meaning it had disengaged without turning off. I did get the elm 27 but have not gotten it to work yet, Ideas please. thanks

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Update: Saturday s was snowing and roads were a mess here. I was able to drive the car myself, it did the jerking. I stopped and turned on the AWD. Next time I looked the AWD emblem was not luminated meaning it had disengaged without turning off. I did get the elm 27 but have not gotten it to work yet, Ideas please. thanks
When is the car jerking? From a dead stop or does it do it while moving (or both)? When you manually turn on AWD it is designed to automatically shut off after a short time. The AWD system in these cars is not designed to run all the time (the transfer case isn't sturdy enough).

Are you having trouble connecting your OBDII interface with the app or have you just not had time to mess with it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did finally got the elm 327 connected. Today it was snowing and car jerked again. Where can I find a electrical diagram to check for loose or corroded connections? codes are P0744, Po746, P0868. thanks

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I did finally got the elm 327 connected. Today it was snowing and car jerked again. Where can I find a electrical diagram to check for loose or corroded connections? codes are P0744, Po746, P0868. thanks
P0744: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Intermittent

P0746: Pressure Control Solenoid A Performance/Stuck Off

P0868: Transmission Fluid Pressure Low

Given that you've had the battery and charging system checked out, these new line pressure codes could indicate a real problem with the transmission, unfortunately. The service manual for your car is linked below if you want to find electrical schematics and other information.

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

Getting back to the basics--have you checked the CVT fluid level to make sure it's within spec? What's the mileage of the car? Has the CVT ever undergone any kind of maintenance (e.g. fluid changes etc.)?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It does sound like a CVT issue. Likely the valve body would be my guess... Maybe you got lucky, a valve body replacement is one of the cheaper CVT repairs if it works out...

However, maybe start with a CVT drain and fill, preferably with dropping pan and cleaning any gunk and replacing the filter to see if that corrects the issue...

Reactions: PaulDay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What bothers me is it only acts up when wet snowfall or wet roads. The transmission was replaced approx. 45,000 miles ago. under warranty. Vehicle has 183,000 on it.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
What bothers me is it only acts up when wet snowfall or wet roads. The transmission was replaced approx. 45,000 miles ago. under warranty. Vehicle has 183,000 on it.
If you hadn't given us those error codes for the CVT I'd be thinking more along the lines of an AWD issue...

AWD kicks in when the front tires have reduced traction, like in the rainy and snowy conditions you mentioned.

In you first post you mentioned it starting jerking, then your Murano stopped... Did it come to a complete stop in traffic? How noticeable was the jerking, is it subtle or somewhat violent?

Does the jerking problem occur when you manually activate AWD lock while driving straight forward? Caution: DON'T try to turn on dry pavement while in AWD mode. The Murano doesn't have a center differential, so the driveline will bind and my break the somewhat delicate transfer case...

Some things that come to mind that may cause jerking when in AWD mode could be a failing AWD clutch or something amiss with the rear differential.

I also noticed in my '03 owner's manual where is mentions if AWD is toggled while driving you may feel a jerk, another possibility is something is amiss with in the AWD activation/deactivation circuit...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Have you checked the CVT fluid level? Automatic transmissions are hydraulic machines so low/no fluid = malfunctioning transmission. If the fluid level is normal and you are absolutely certain that this phenomenon only happens when it's raining/wet snow then carefully inspect the harness going to each of the TCM and CVT unit connector--you would be looking for missing/damaged insulation or anything that could allow water to penetrate inside the connectors.

BTW...are the mileage numbers regarding the CVT replacement correct? That is, it was replaced under warranty at 138,000 miles?? This information should have been in your original post. What kind of warranty did the replacement CVT have?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the car with 176,000 on it.
Today I dropped the tranny and changed the filter and fluid. I used a Napa filter kit. I did notice that the filter pickup tube was longer than the original in tranny. After assembly and installing. Amsoil CVTF fluid, which states on the container being NS-1 NS-2 or NS-3.
Upon start up I noticed a whining,, let it warm up and kept checking fluid level THe flyuid level is located in middle of hashmarks. Took for drive, continued to whin, felt like it was slipping. (Not Happy)
I believe the pickup tube on filter is to long creating a problem of starvation.

I plan on removing pan and installing original filter, it was not bad at all, little spraying with brake cleaner and it will be fine.

any thoughts,
thanks

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I agree that it's probably best to put the original filter back in if you can clean it well enough. How did the bottom of the pan and magnets look (e.g. sludge, metal, etc.)? Any new transmission codes?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
If you have p0868, I would say your CVT is on a countdown. I would start thinking about getting a different vehicle unless you are up for another CVT swap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today I reinstalled the original tranny filter. No more whining and works as it should. I did erase all the codes before driving it approximately 45 miles, no codes have returned to this point.

The Napa filter I had installed was in worse condition than I had expected as it was bent from the intake tube being pushed towards valve body from the tightening of the pan. I thought about replacing stepper motor but was unable to find one.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Today I reinstalled the original tranny filter. No more whining and works as it should. I did erase all the codes before driving it approximately 45 miles, no codes have returned to this point.

The Napa filter I had installed was in worse condition than I had expected as it was bent from the intake tube being pushed towards valve body from the tightening of the pan. I thought about replacing stepper motor but was unable to find one.
What was the part number for the Napa kit? This is just so someone else doesn't make the mistake of buying it since it obviously doesn't fit correctly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts