Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading that the timing chain is a "lifetime part" but a local parts store checked the codes to help with my sluggish engine and it had 2 for timing chain errors. Could this really need replacing or something else that needs to happen to it? Trying to learn a little about the car I just bought and to determine how much to save to pay for the repair.

·
Super Moderator
8,925 Posts
I doubt that it meant "timing chain errors." Did it indicate "timing errors?" Or perhaps some kind of sensor error?

Please check the language used in the trouble report carefully and let us know.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I keep reading that the timing chain is a "lifetime part" but a local parts store checked the codes to help with my sluggish engine and it had 2 for timing chain errors. Could this really need replacing or something else that needs to happen to it? Trying to learn a little about the car I just bought and to determine how much to save to pay for the repair.
How many miles are on the engine?

·
Super Moderator
8,925 Posts
The reason I questioned "timing chain" is that it's a mechanical part and has no sensors. I don't know how the diagnostics could indicate a timing chain issue. There may however be some codes which are associated with a timing chain problem - I don't know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt that it meant "timing chain errors." Did it indicate "timing errors?" Or perhaps some kind of sensor error?

Timing error I worded wrong

also codes: P1273
Saying you have "codes" is not very helpful unless you tell us what the specific codes are. Please post them.
P1273 and P1283 and the mechanic said "timing errors" not timing chain errors , thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I recall, its the timing chain guides that is prone to failure. If that happens, I suppose a chain reaction can occur damaging the chain itself. It would be noisy though. Easily heard by the belt area.
Very noisy engine, gear L especially rough and loud, can barely pull herself up a hill (unless having a good day)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, cannot run ac while driving - takes too much power away from ?motor? ?engine?
Rpm's won't go above 3 and engine never overheats but floods out and dies if I push it too hard up ANY hill ANY grade at all...
Sounds like "making wrong "decisions" when constantly varying its transmission (how engine sounds) - hard to describe, I've never owned anything but a standards 5 speed car)

·
Super Moderator
8,925 Posts
In case it helps, here's a great description of how a CVT works:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

After what you've seen in my posts, any idea what repair price range I might be looking at??

M

·
Super Moderator
8,925 Posts
The first thing I would do is go to the easiest and most frequently mentioned problem on this forum: a bad air intake hose between the air filter and the engine. It's the corrugated hose, and it often cracks and lets air in, which confuses the air flow metering. This often results in power decrease and slow acceleration. You can massage it yourself and see if there are cracks or holes in it. Don't just glance at it, use a screwdriver to take it loose and really check it out.

My rule is "when you have a problem, figure out the simplest thing that can cause it, and look there first." This hose is probably the simplest possible reason for the problem.

I hope this is the problem.

If not, "timing errors" are probably indicated by the cam sensors. The problem may not be the timing, but the sensors, which on this engine have been known to fail. That would not be a very expensive fix, as the sensors are not labor intensive to replace.

Reactions: greenwaygal21

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
To add, those P1273/1283 are for your A/F sensors (fire wall side and radiator side), which could drastically give you poor engine performance. I would change those too. Use oem not cheap aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Those codes mean the the engine is running lean over an extended period of time (or the ECM thinks it is). My guess is you have a 2004 or 2005 Murano? If you search for those codes on these forums along with the revised codes that Nissan switched to circa 2006 (P2A00 and P2A03), you'll find out how to approach those codes. They can be tricky to figure out the root cause since many things can cause them such as:

• Vacuum leaks
  • Exhaust leaks (you said your engine sounds "noisy" and "rough and loud")
  • Bad A/F sensors
  • Bad downstream O2 sensors (even though the codes refer to the A/F sensors).
  • Fuel delivery problem (e.g. weak fuel pump, fuel line restriction etc.)

Based on your first few posts, it seems you're going to have a mechanic try to diagnose this? If so, find another one as the original didn't even match the correct code descriptions with the codes he gave you. Good luck and if you end up finding the cause of your problems, be sure to post an update.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts