Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a problem (a small one) I've never encountered before. My Murano sat outside all day at about -35C(maybe -30F), bit of a wind too. It started like a champ, though a bit stiff in tranny and suspension for the first bit.

But the sound system did not work. I tried CD player, tape player and AM/FM: no sound came out. The display showed the CD operating, switched channels, increase volume: but no noise at all. The display was a bit sluggish, which is normal in very cold weather.

After about 10minutes, the car was warmed up inside - and the soiund system worked perectly, just started up in mid-song!

Odd.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've been told to never operate CD/tape player when extremely cold....puts a lot of strain on mechanical drives???..once car warms up no problem....never had the radio not work at -35C...the display is definitely in slow motion at that temp...

·
4,664 Posts
Thoughts that come to mind...

- Cold solder joint, once temperature rises a bit, makes contact and brings things back to life. If this is the case, it will do it more and more as time progresses.

- Lubricant on power relay to amp. Really cold = really stiff. If it uses a relay.

CD changer in the extreme cold I'd resist, but the cassette in the cold would be a bad idea. Neither is the problem here, though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So does that mean we should make the dealer aware of the problem while the car is still new? My MO does the same thing and the display is screwed up even when it plays smoothly. The "disc time" jumps back and forth or gets stuck.
In addition, I've experienced doors not closing in the winter while I was on business in small towns. I think it's colder out there. My door won't shut fully until I bang the life out of it and driving it a bit. So the MO has gotten me a bit worried when i take them on my winter road trips....

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
JaaK, you have had you head unit out, do I remember that their is a ribbon connector to the CD unit that in some cases was supposedly the culprit for for some CD malfunctions, not well inserted? Could this connection be acting like the solder joint description you gave?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts