Nissan Murano Forum banner

Comparing to the current competitors

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  kevintomb 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone,

I currently own my second Murano in a row, an '06 SL with everything but Navi.
My lease is expiring in October of this year. I love my current one, but don't LOVE the new 2009 body.
However, I spent 5 hours at NY Auto Show last night, trying to come up with valid alternatives to the '09 Murano.
I looked at
Audi Q5 (tight interior, expensive), small trunk, but probably fun to drive;
2010 Mazda CX-7 (don't like the engine choice);
Volvo XC-60 (poor fuel economy, small interior;
Lexus RX - simply ugly body.
2010 Cadillac SRX - looks pretty hot.
Can anyone present a valid close competitor to Murano?

#2 ·
Well, you really gotta share what your needs/wants are for your vehicle. I mean, I can think of lots of better vehicle choices that the MO if you're wanting a sports car, but those choices don't make sense if you're wanting to tow a camper on a regular basis.

Do you need cargo room? Car like ride? Offroad capability? Towing? Fuel economy?

What do you like and not like about your current MO and the 09? What would you change on it to make it your ideal choice for what you need?

THEN, maybe someone can suggest some promising alternatives.

#3 ·
Corin,
Thanks for your response.
I am certainly looking for a crossover, not a sports car. As I said, I've had two Muranos in a row, an '03 and '06 and really love the car.
My car needs haven't really changed since '03, we are a family of 3 (two adults and a toddler) and our second car is '08 Passat Komfort that my wife drives on her daily commute to work.
I posted my answers to your questions below.
Do you need cargo room?
-Yes
Car like ride?
-Yes
Offroad capability?
- Same as prev. Mo generation, not more than that. Good snow performance.
Towing?
- No
Fuel economy?
-SURE, YES!
I would prefer it not requiring premium gas.
I admit that Murano seems to be beating everyone currently. My friends own Volvo XC-70 (claim to get just 20 mpg on a highway) and Mazda CX-9 (18mpg??), Acura MDX(18 mpg). However, I saw postings from new Audi Q5 owners, claiming 21 mpg in the city(!) and almost 27-30 mpg on the highway?

What do you like and not like about your current MO and the 09?
- I like interior improvements in the '09 model, don't like the exterior design (back) and smaller cargo room.

What would you change on it to make it your ideal choice for what you need?

I don't want to be picky, but they could have done...
- a better job on the body design;
- I would love to have cooled front seats, considering black leather in the summer getting hot. It would be a better improvement than powered back seat return.
- added LED daytime running lights (why empty headlight section, where they should be?);
- add couple of new exterior colors (love Mazda's "liquid platinum");
- added a pass-through in the back seat, like in VW and Audi Q5, great for skis;
- have a DVD drive or hard drive for music, why does it have to only come with Navi-equipped models, even Chevy Traverse and Subaru have DVD drives!
- I don't like their redesign of the area around shifter:
a)strange plastic "insert" in the center storage, shallow center storage, compared to '03 model
b) new cup holders seem to be worse(more shallow) than the old ones
c) no more cell phone holder, no coin holder, but some "multipurpose bin" on the passenger side?
- I hate their "redesign" of the cargo cover, what are those stupid flaps (the ones no one will ever be attaching to the back seats) for? One cannot even retract them! The new way to open and close cargo cover is worse than ever, even my 1997 Grand Cherokee had a better design, where the cargo cover was attached to the hatch and would be opened "automatically".
What do you think, am I too picky :)?

#4 ·
Since you mentioned your friend's XC-70, I have to suggest that you look at the regular V70 rather than the XC. Back in 2005 when I was test driving various Volvos, I noticed a significant difference between the v70 models. The XC is the "Cross-Country" version, but I did not like it NEARLY as much as the others. It rides higher, and the interior design was not nearly as nice.

I preferred the V70R, of course, but look at the V70 T5, if they're still calling it that. If you don't need a station wagon, or really dislike the volvo wagon look, look at the S60 T5. The S60 and V70 are the same car, just wagon versus sedan.

I have a love/hate relationship with Volvo. There are many things I really like about them, but they are HEAVY cars and have not had the best reliability ratings. Repairs are expensive. If you're leasing, no big deal, but if you're planning to own one for a long time you have to think twice.

OK, there's my Volvo tangent! :)

If you don't need the towing capacity, how about the Nissan Rogue? I've heard a few people on this forum say they liked it during a test drive. The current Honda CRV is another small SUV that people really like. Obviously not in the same category as the Murano, but then again it's cheaper, too.

Also, take a look at the Subaru Forrester. I have several friends (with one or two kids) that LOVE their Forresters. Again, like the CRV, not quite as much cargo room as the Murano, but getting a lower price point and possibly a better fuel economy point as well.

#5 ·
Corin,

No, I really wouldn't want a Volvo wagon, let alone their sedan. we already have an awesome and roomy sedan - VW Passat.
Maybe, if gas prices hit $4 mark again, i would consider Audi A4 Avant.
I do not like Forrester, my friend switched from it to the Outback, as it was harsh and loud.
Creating this thread I was looking for valid competitors and comparisons within Murano's class, i.e. Edge, RX, CX-7/9, Audi Q5, Volvo XC-60/90, Highlander, etc.
I wanted to hear from someone who tested the above vehicles, but ended up getting a Murano (or not), and why they did that.

#6 ·
The closest competitor is probably the Toyota Venza or Ford Edge (i.e. two row midsize crossovers). Of them all, the Venza is faster and gets better fuel economy, but the Murano probably handles better.

#8 ·
Eric beat me to it; the Toyota Venza is a good comparison to the MO.

We are just starting to look at other vehicles and that is on our list as is the Audi Q5. I went to look at them and they have done a great job with that one. I like it more than the Q7; was never really crazy about that one.

However as disla pointed out it is more expensive than the MO.

Another car is the Subaru Tribeca; very similar in size with the MO(perhaps a little larger "feeling" on the inside).

#9 ·
Except the Venza is more car than the Murano. At 5'7" I can look down at the roof of a Venza.

Homer

#10 ·
I haven't done a real inch-by-inch comparison, but if you don't like the smaller cargo room of the 09 MO, you might not like some of the other smaller crossover options, either.

The Q5 is a very nice vehicle, but it does feel a little smaller than the MO. I would say the Q5 is a closer match to the BMW X3, Acura RDX, Mercedes GLK 350, and Infinity EX35.

The MO seems to sit right between these vehicles and the larger offerings such as the X5, ML350, Acura MDX, and Audi Q7.

The Subaru Tribeca is just too dern ugly for me.

Personally, I did not really care for the Venza or the new Lexus RX. Just didn't do it for me.

As for American cars... a coworker has a GMC Acadia and it's really quite nice, honestly. I've never been a Ford guy, so I can't say anything about the Edge or Escape... but the Lincoln MKX looks like it could be a nice car, too.

So many options. ;)

To directly answer your question:

"I wanted to hear from someone who tested the above vehicles, but ended up getting a Murano (or not), and why they did that."

I test drove many of those vehicles. I went from an 04 Murano SE to an 08 Acura MDX over the 09 Murano LE. My reasons can be found in other threads, no sense in repeating them all here.

They're all good cars for their own reasons, it's just mostly going to depend on the factors that are most important to you. You might want to create a list of priorities and rank them in order of importance or minimum specs, such as fuel economy, seating capacity, cargo room, etc. All of the vehicles are going to have merits over others, so just pick the factors that are most important, narrow down your choices, test drive a couple/few, and go with the one you like best! :)

#11 ·
special-k said:
I haven't done a real inch-by-inch comparison, but if you don't like the smaller cargo room of the 09 MO, you might not like some of the other smaller crossover options, either.

- I totally agree. The new Forrester looks much smaller, also having too basic of an interior

The Q5 is a very nice vehicle, but it does feel a little smaller than the MO. I would say the Q5 is a closer match to the BMW X3, Acura RDX, Mercedes GLK 350, and Infinity EX35.

- I agree, as well. Q5 is a little smaller, but I will definitely test drive it. It better blew me away!:)

The Subaru Tribeca is just too dern ugly for me.
- it looks like Chrysler...and way too thristy!

Personally, I did not really care for the Venza or the new Lexus RX. Just didn't do it for me.

- we match here, too :) I can't get over Venza interior's minivan feeling, and what's up with this shifter?? Same goes for Lexus, I don't like the dash redesign. However, it's matching Murano in the interior space.
I don't understand, how the cargo numbers seem to be so different?

As for American cars... a coworker has a GMC Acadia and it's really quite nice, honestly. I've never been a Ford guy, so I can't say anything about the Edge or Escape... but the Lincoln MKX looks like it could be a nice car, too.

- Acadia is too big, it won't fit into my garage :), I would go with Mazda CX-9, if I wanted a three-row one.

I test drove many of those vehicles. I went from an 04 Murano SE to an 08 Acura MDX over the 09 Murano LE. My reasons can be found in other threads, no sense in repeating them all here.

- Please, could you repeat those reasons of yours? I could not find your reasons in other threads, I have been looking...
So, it ssems like we both narrowed my choices down to Murano, MDX, Mazda CX-9 and Audi Q5.
Thank you very much! :)
My preferences are...
- fun to drive
- interior (incl. space, comfort and features)
- fuel economy
- exterior looks

#12 ·
That is a very hard choice. I have driven the MDX, Q5, and the CX-7,X5's, and FX45, but unfortunately not the 09 Murano. I have an 04 SL AWD. The MDX is a honda so super reliable and probably the best all round SUV/Crossover especially with the SH-AWD. (I wrote off an 06 in my underground condo parking lot.) The Q5 is a beautiful vehicle inside and out, in my opinion even more desireable than a Q7. I am not sure what engine options you have in your country, but here in Panama it can be bought with the 2.0T which is a great engine for fuel economy and decent performance. The CX-7 is a great handling vehicle with assumed decent fuel economy, but in my opinion feels/looks a little cheap for the price. If the most important thing to you is FUN TO DRIVE, get an X5 with the sport/m package. The free servicing make them cheaper than the sticker indicates. In my opinion though your best bet is the FX, handles amazing, same great VQ engine, but based on a much better rear drive platform. I would love one, but they are very few and far between in Panama. Good luck! The Murano is my first SUV had to get for the wife, but I am very pleasantly surprised(I had hoped it would be as good as the FX, but oh well. Lol)

#13 ·
decision made, goodbye, Murano!

Hi,
Your response was really close to the decision I made:
I am a happy new oner of a 2010 Audi Q5, Premuim Plus, in quartz gray.
After I drove it,and compared it to Volvo XC60 and the new Murano LE, I just could not help not getting it, even though Murano could have been a cheaper lease.
Yes, it is smaller, but the ride, oh my god! It handles like a sports sedan!
I am also absolutely in love with its interior and the panoramic roof; it's much better than Murano's, by the way.
I did not consider Infiniti FX, I simply don't like its design and a really small trunk.
Well, let's see if the future changes to Murano would make me come back in 2013. Maybe we just had to spend some time apart after 2 leases in a row :)

#14 ·
Have driven the Highlander and the Lexus RX, and while both competent and comfortable, seem lacking in some regards to the Murano.

Even though the murano is less expensive than the Lexus, it seems better to me in some ways that I appreciate. More fun and involving for sure, more roomy and just seems to have some styling.

The lexus while smooth and quiet, has vague steering, a good bit uninvolving to drive also.

Roominess just not the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.