Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone here checked their mpg computer with actual gas receipts? I always fill my tank up to full and then write down the miles that I traveled for the previous tank. And just today I finally calculated all my receipts and shows that I'm not getting what my computer says i should.
the readout on the trip computer is always between 23mpg and 24mpg.
but all the receipts i've kept (about 10 of them) all says that i'm getting 20-21mpg! i have about 4000 miles on my car right now, and i can see that if one or two of these receipts shows low mpg, it'll be that when i filled up previously, i didn't get it as full as i should. But not ALL of them!!!
So I'm wondering if any of you have done the manual calculation yet?
Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I asked this question a couple of weeks ago. I was told there is up to +- 10% errror rate. I thought I was getting 24mpg according to the computer but was actaully getting 22mpg when I did the math. I'm thinking its set a little high to give you a warm fuzzy thinking your getting great gas mileage. I'm only at about 1200 miles. Congrats on your MO.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Frumuda. Can I ask who was the one that told you we have a -10% error? was it a dealer? or did you hear from this forum?

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
i noticed the weirdest thing the other day... while travelling on an expressway @ 90 km/h i reset my settings and saw how the numbers will go down from 14.5 L/100km ....... and guess what was the lowest i got....... 6.5L/100 km and it translated into 40 MPG... now thats what i call AWESOME.... and while i was on xpressway and at 90km/h mark (for about 6 km) it kept between 6.3 -- 6.7 .... and i was amazed by it... turned off my audio as i wanted to see the figures change when i was exiting and sure enough once back in the construction jungle, it was back to about 11 -- 13 L/100km

i will try it again sometime but when the gas price will be a bit down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:
i noticed the weirdest thing the other day... while travelling on an expressway @ 90 km/h i reset my settings and saw how the numbers will go down from 14.5 L/100km ....... and guess what was the lowest i got....... 6.5L/100 km and it translated into 40 MPG... now thats what i call AWESOME.... and while i was on xpressway and at 90km/h mark (for about 6 km) it kept between 6.3 -- 6.7 .... and i was amazed by it... turned off my audio as i wanted to see the figures change when i was exiting and sure enough once back in the construction jungle, it was back to about 11 -- 13 L/100km

i will try it again sometime but when the gas price will be a bit down.
i'm curious, do you still call it "mileage"? or is there a strange name with metric roots?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Remember the mileage displayed is more of an average and when you calc it mannually you are getting milleage for that entire tank. I do manual calcs with every fill up via a PC program. I have never reset the MPG computer on the MO and it displays 19.7 MPG. After 30K miles and enter every fillup in the PC software program it tells me I"m getting 19.5 MPG.

That is close in my book. In my opinion the longer you do NOT reset the MPG on the MO the more accurate it will be. Remember its an average. So some tank fillup will be represent it and if you reset it at every fill up it will not be a very accurate average.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

See my log below.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:

great software Gonzo.... is it something you wrote yourself or purchased it ?
I don't think one needs special software to keep track of mileage. I just use an Excel spreadsheet.

I fall into the camp of one of those people who resets the MPG meter each time I fillup. The MPG reading for that particular tank is the most important information for me, since an unusual reading would tell me something was wrong with the car at that moment. I find the meter is generally accurate to within 1mpg, which is good enough for me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I noticed too...but I stop looking @ it.
I get like 17MPG overall.

Nizmo

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:

great software Gonzo.... is it something you wrote yourself or purchased it ?
Well at one point I had my own Excel sheet... that would track it along with graphs and cool stats... my friends laughed but it worked really slick. Then I wanted to track maintenance. I wrote my own DB and that worked but there were some features that I wanted. I then found a software program call CarCare... which at the time for $20 it was better than spending more time on the DB. So for $20 it tracked and did everything I wanted. So I gave up on supporting myself.

I strong recommend it. Great features. Check out this screen shot. You can quickly see what/when maintenace items are due. Great fuel stats and awesome reports.

Hey look my cabin filter is due!

CARCARE

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
does carcare run on a palm? because i would think the good thing with excel is that you can just input the number at the gas station on your palm. then when you go home just sync it back.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I have never reset mine.
It sits at 21.5 right now---and I do 80-85 on the way to work and stop and go 1/2 of the way back home. The rest of the time I enjoy Mo for the performance it has---and use every bit of it.
Not bad for a lead foot eh?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
mgthe3 said:
I have never reset mine.
It sits at 21.5 right now---and I do 80-85 on the way to work and stop and go 1/2 of the way back home. The rest of the time I enjoy Mo for the performance it has---and use every bit of it.
Not bad for a lead foot eh?
mgthe3-

WOW!!! 21.5 MPG under those conditions is pretty darn good. I hope when my MO grows up (only 7,000 miles so far) she gets the same MPG. Right now I can only get 20 MPG if I stay under 60 on the hi-way.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Atlanta - Indiana - Atlanta recent trip. Sitting almost all the time on 80 mph and through the mountains of North Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky. Avarage - 21.5 mpg.

When I slow down to 65 mph I get 25 - 26 mpg. I am happy with that results...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bad thing is that the computer can read what ever it wants. what you're really getting is another story...
what my readout is always between 23-24mpg but from what i calculate is always between 20-21mpg. that's a 15% error!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts