Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK computer geeks. I know you can help me. I am getting Error 304 on startup. I tried windows safe mode and the keyboard would not respond. Actually I entered Windows safe mode several time and only once keyboard would respond. I know 304 means error or system error but what exactly does it mean? After all the upgrades is it finally time to get (build) a new PC? Or just a new Keyboard. Bios problems?

·
Registered
545 Posts
If this is a Compaq system, the error means that it's a keyboard controller failure.

Recommended action is to Replace Keyboard, Mouse and System Board.

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is Compaq. I was afraid of system board failure. I guess I will have to try to get a cheap keyboard to make sure it is not the keyboard. Thanks for the info

·
4,664 Posts
If the controller's failed, quick patch is to switch to a USB keyboard and mouse...

It sounds like they recommend the keyboard and mouse be replaced, just to ensure they're different if they were the cause of the controller failure. Some controllers aren't very tolerant of having the mouse and keyboard plugged in, while powered up, as well. I've see plugging in, while powered, trash the controller.

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
a USB keyboard is the best solution. or, there is a ps2 - 2 - usb adapter, you can try that to make sure your current keyboard is working fine (incase you are in love with current keyboard)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
This sounds like a perfrect execuse for a new PC! If you don't need anything fancy you can get them as low as $100 for a pretty good machine. (with keyboard ;) )

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
- I have USB keyboard and mouse
- tried different keyboard - no results
- open the case and used my "magic finger'; PROBLEM WENT AWAT!

And I was so close to ordering new motherboard and memory...

But than again it woul dhave been "patching". My 'dream' machine with AMD 64 X2, when spec right, no monitor nor keboard, no software is >$2K. So I will wait a while.....

·
4,664 Posts
Yup, bad connector will do it...

That's funny... As far as I know, there is no keyboard controller used when you're using a USB keyboard, just the USB port and software. So I assumed a standard mini din keyboard...

Next time, you could try a different USB port.

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, it quit again. So I decided to support jaak and went with HP Pavilon - AMD Athlon 64 X2 with 1GB RAM, 250 SATA hard drive. It is going to take me at least half a day to set up everything and transfer 100 GB of data. I guess not today.

The old baby will most likely end up as a Linux home server in the future....

·
4,664 Posts
I'll tell my wife, it will make her happy! ;-)

I've got a Pavillion for my daughter and entry level Compaq servers for my wife and brother-in-law (with a similar case inside, who would have known...)

My PC? An ASUS motherboard with an Antec quiet (very quiet) case and a Shappire (ATI) video board and a couple of SATA drives..

The Media server PC is an ASUS MB with an ASUS (ATI) video and a Silverstone case, but it's running PCI Express to keep me happy with the video performance. Oh, and two Sapphire NTSC tuners and one ATI HDTV tuner. One SATA drive right now, but I'm toying with going to dual 300's, as the HD programs suck space up.

So as you can see, I run nothing but HP machines. Oh wait....

I like to support ATI, 'cause they support me!

I feel your pain on the data transfer. Last couple of times, I've just put the old drive in as a second drive on the new machine and move what has to be moved...

This one's running Media Centre as well, but I can boot back into the old disk's Win XP system if something goes funky.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I've got an Imac with a 20" screen.
I use a wireless Keyboard and Mouse.
The whole computer is in the screen.
I freed up tons of real estate on the desk.

Some of the things it can do are amazing.
You know how on a PC you click on START (Even f you want to turrn the PC OFF? :D) and then on FIND and then wait forever for the system to find a simple file? Can easily take 30-40 seconds.....or more.
Well on a Mac you click on the Magnifying Glass which is always on the screen. The results are there within 1 or 2 SECONDS! This machine is very fast.

Regardless of the reasons, I don't get Virus'.
And the machine STILL works more intuitivly than the PC.
If I absolutely HAVE to, I can run a licensed copy of XP on it too..... I do that occasionally since there is one software package that I sometimes use (from Charles Schwab) that doesn't run on Mac.

There is definitely a real advantage having one company build the hardware and the software.
Damned things ARE too expensive tho.

Homer

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I grew up on macs Homer.....knew all the option keys.

If you know them on a Windows box, it does the same thing.

Windows key F = find.
Windows key E = explore
Windows key M = minimize all

and in Internet explorer, I don't even have a tool bar. Just right click the screen, all windows screens have contextual menues, and, you can change what the menue says as well. (XP Power toys)

A second ago one of my kids wanted to view my research on AVLIS.

Windows key E

My Documents

Typed avl....and there it was highlighted.

Rightclick, copy, Paste onto his desktop shortcut on the Explorer pane I have up.

It may have been 5 seconds before the data was on his machine to view it from the time he asked for it.

Macs are great for graphics programs< my best bud does it for a living. He also has one lonely PC in the midst of his 5 macs for conversions from his customers. He really bytches about the missing right click button though.
:D

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I probably had a Mac before you. :)
I still have it.
The little 9" BW Macintosh Apple of 1984.
Mine still has all the employees names inside the case. 1 of 100,000. I did up grade it to a "fat mac".
My daughter keeps it now as a "collectible".

But then I wanted to do more than "paint" and Pac man and donkey kong.
So I bought a PC.
I was happy for many years.
And then came the Internet and i was ecstatic and even awed (Perhaps because I spent my career working (HW & SW) on MUCH bigger machines than PCs) by the incredible power and potential of the internet.
But shortly after that..... came criminals who would steal my pleasure with their Virus'.
But we fought back.
Eventually, in my house anyway, the Criminals won.
I was spending money and time fighting Virus'.
I was spending AT LEAST 4 hours a week running scans and removing infected files, etc.
I tired of the game.

I am a professional investor now. and I don't need a machine performing incorrectly when I am placing a large trade online.

So I looked for an alternative.

You are right.
Mac is the graphics machine of choice among the pros.
And the ultimate PC is faster than the ultimate Mac on a series of Benchmarks. (But the MAc is faster than the ultimate PC on "some" individual Benchmarks.)
Halo has been mentioned here.
Mac wins on Halo Benchmarks hands down most of the time.

But I really don't care abiout that.
If the PC performs a series of Raw data manipulations faster than a MAC by a few seconds, I frankly don't care.
Again. some things WILL be faster on my mac than ANY PC.

So even if you grew up on Macs I don't think you have ever used Spotlight. And probably not widgets either. :)

Or you wouldn't be comparing a windows find program to it, even if there are Kybd shortcuts to start the execution.

Since Macs have gone to a complete Unix implementation they are almost unbreakable. They have no "blue screen of death". It is truly an industrial strength OS.
Especially compared to Microsofts offerings.

And because the Mac has only penetrated maybe 5% of the market, the criminals do not bother with Virus'.

My last PC, which my wife uses for checkbook and games now, was an HP 7850 933 mHZ machine with 256 MB that couldn't be expanded any larger.
I spent several hours a week, sometimes having to restore the entire OS to get it p and running.
There were many many attacks on it and the various malware and spyware packages were only partially successful.
They can't write the answer until they have seen the question.
I have now had my Mac for 6 mos and i have not spent ANY time working on getting the machine back in shape.

They just do things in a very intelligent manner imo.
Examples abound.
Spotlight starts looking for docs, or exe, or Jpg, etc AS YOU TYPE THE NAME.....I have been very conservative with my estimates.
Actually most searches (which search for the word in First, the title, then the content) are completed in less than 1 second.
But you would probably have to experience it to believe it.
I don't even use the function that much, but it is an indication that this is not your father's mac.
Another example is when you DL a system software update for instance, the final step of the automatic install is to clean up the disc and do a defrag. Smart.

I know that the Mac isn't for everybody, but it is interesting that it is just like our cars.
People have an opinion even if they have never driven the car in question.

A modern mac is like a good woman.
Once you have tried one you will never go back to pizza and beer.:jump3:

Homer

BTW you can run a two button mouse on a Mac and yes the right click will work.......on some things.
It bothered me for a couple of days.......
But just as bad is when I go back to the PC and click on something to open it and then I wait, and I wait and then i remember TWO clicks to open.....why?

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Homer,

i understand you. And yes I do like Mac. I always did. However, my PC has to be compatibile with work I do. So PC is the choice. Benchmarks - I am not sure if to trust them. I rea drecently the most of them are written in such a way that they run an optimized test for a particular processor etc. How does it relate to real life? I do not think anybody knows.....

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I had a diatribe to post here...but I don't want to offend Mac folks, they tend to be very cultish and over protective of their beloved Macs---and the diatribe was boring insomuch as it covered my professional career.
Although I grew up on a powerbook on the modern internet, I have been exposed to all of the Macs all the way up to the current power G5--what my best friend (a graphics/advertizing designer) now has--so don't think I don't know Macs--he has had dozens of Macs and I have been there for all of their evolutions and yes, their own unique pains.
Macs are cool. They have always been more progressive at incorporating macro programming into their OSs than Windows.
Be very careful exposing your fanancial data to the internet--even on a Mac, there are exploits for OSX---hence the patches for it.
That new iMac is very cool with the 20" display, far cheaper actually than any PC equipped with a 20" LCD.

:)

·
4,664 Posts
Apple screwed up and IBM stumbled into a good idea that Apple decided to ignore. Otherwise, Apple would own the market and only a few of us would have PCs.

The Apple ][+ was an open product that allowed all kinds of wonderful third party hardware to be created and run on it, allowing a boom in the product and Apple's success.

They then decided with the Lisa and then the Mac, that they knew what you wanted to run in your computer and closed the system and took away choice.

At the same time, IBM acidentally created an Intel based Apple ][+ (or Apple /// if you remember it) and capitalised on that same open concept that allowed the PC to then take off.

IBM also tried to railroad people into their technology at one point, with their own bus, that was not open to third party products, but it went nowhere.

I've never owned an IBM product, but I've had lots based on the open structure that gives techno geeks the power to do almost anything they want. With great power and complexity and openess, comes unreliability and incompatibility issues.

Too bad Apple messed up, but I still love their products as they do a lot better at making computing appliances, as opposed to systems. But I won't pay more, for less flexibility, even though they are extremely cool.

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thnaks for the info. I will check it out. However, I think it is not ASUS board so I should be OK. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the X2 performs. I haven't had a chance to do any testing (I am somwher in Indiana now...) though I did notice that on of my application suddenly showed me option: RUN ON ONE PROCESSOR ONLY? And a check box. Hm, so I can run it and do printing without taxing both processors. Interesting...

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Yeah, X2's rule!
Others drool.....

I guess that's gonna be my next investment.....err...expenditure...on computers.
:D

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my home computer died last Friday............

work laptop died last night at the airport.......(IT tried to repair it this morning . No luck. Need new RAM. So I am running XP on 256MB......it is soooooooooo sloooooow!)

my car battery was cranking really slowly this morning.....

What is going on? Is Mr. Murphy back in the town? :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
8 Participants
Kris
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing