Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I experienced a new issue with my Murano. Went to dinner with the GF and when we left I opened the back door to put the bag with leftovers on the back floor. When I got into the car the little indicator light for door ajar was on and the computer said the rear left door was ajar. Got out, opened it, closed it...light still said it's ajar. Well I drove home anyway and when I got home, got out of the car. The automatic lights wouldn't shut off after the 30 second setting. 1 minute, 2 minutes..nothing. Not only that but the alarm wouldn't engage either because the car still thought the door was ajar. I had to manually lock each door and shut off the automatic light setting as well as all the interior lights... VERY FRUSTRATING. My only guess is it was caused by the deep freeze we had here in Massachusetts last night..but even if that is the case...that sucks! This morning I went out there and started the car..everything is fine now. Going to complain to the dealer anyway.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
re: The mystery light.

Regarding the mystery light ajar. Day 2 of Murano, back to the dealer to install mud guards that were supposed to be on the MO,
In my garage the car doors were closed and driver door warning light was on.
Got out and checked doors and light was still on! After 30 seconds light went out. Why? Dunno! Happened again a few minutes later after exiting and entering the MO.
Got to dealer and told them, they thought I was wacko. It would not do it there nor has it ever happened again.
I chalked it up to a brand new car with maybe a sensor that was a bit sticky. The weather was not a factor as it sat in a 58 degree garage.
A one time episode.
Bob

·
Registered
792 Posts
We just had the same thing - same door. If I would push on the door - the light would go out. We took it in to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce it. It hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Several cars back, I had a Honda Accord EX-V6. After I had owned it for about a year, the dome light would spontaneously come on whenever I made a right turn. It was really disconcerting at night to have an interior light suddenly come on! I discovered that the car's body sway and/or centrifugal force involved with making a right turn caused the driver's side door to ever-so-slightly open, causing the button that turns off the dome light to pop out, which caused the dome light to come on. I ended up putting a quarter-inch thick piece of rubber on the door at the spot where the button hit, and that kept the button pressed in even through right turns.

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
same thing happened to me, but it was right-rear door. it's been below 0 around here, and since it's this door ajar nonsense has never happened before, i'm assuming it has something to do with the cold. of course, once you turn the car off for awhile and start it again, the symptoms go away. that is, until you open the right-rear door. anyway, next oil change i'll have it checked out.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
One thing that's really cool about the MO, is that is tells you which door is open (or at least thinks is open). My wife's wagon has an occasional "door ajar" warning when all doors and hatches are definitely closed. It would be nice to be able to immediately determine which switch is bad.

:21:

·
4,664 Posts
Had it happen to me and I would have sworn the back door was latched, but it complained, I triple checked and finally discovered that yes, it was latched, but not all the way.

Never had a false message on it... Hope if it is, it's like yours instead of the other way around!

·
101 Posts
Happened to me, too. I noticed that the interior lights did not go out and I could not activate the security system. All the doors seemed shut and I pulled on the hatch and it felt secure. So I went around and opened/slammed each door. Still couldn't activate the system. Finally, I opened and slammed the hatch (though it felt like it was latched when pulled upon). That did it. Apparently the hatch has to be shut pretty firmly when closing. Otherwise it latches, but is not completely secured.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again....

Well it's Wednesday now and the temperatures dipped to below zero again here in New England. After going away on Sunday morning and not recurring for three days the dreaded "door is ajar" message has returned. My issue is definitely temperature related and exclusive to the rear door on the driver side. After the MO sits in the midday sun for a while the message will go away the next time I start it up. I'm supposed to take it to the dealer tonight after work. I can only pray that when they look at it tomorrow morning it's cold enough out there that they will be able to "duplicate the problem".

·
Registered
10 Posts
As I said in a post a few days ago, when I got bogus right-rear door readings, I thought it was the cold too. Well, it definately was and is. Saturday was warm - no false reading. Today (-15 windchill) it's back. Since it hasn't gotten this cold up here since '91, and since it only comes up when O open and close the right rear door, I'm not going to worry about. Of course, if for some reason I move to Chicago or Toronto or Alaska, I'll definately have it checked out.

Tomorrow is supposed to the coldest it's been here since 1943. If that's the case, I wonder if I can get both rear doors to register. (So far the left one is OK.)

·
4,664 Posts
Won't be a problem in Toronto... Buffalo, now there's another story!

It could be a switch problem, or a tolerance issue where the metal shrinks enough at that temperature to cause a problem. Never looked at the door switches.... Hmmm....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does the info. screen display door ajar info? I only have the little icon on the dash board. Is this a special setting?

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah, it actually specifies which door on the screen. In my case it's been (bogus as it is) the right-rear door. Like I mentioned before, it's been strictly because of the cold. This morning it was 15 degrees, and no faulty display. Anyway, the specificity makes it a useful little tool when you don't shut a door (or rear hatch) properly.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sonny, yes only on the dash will you see the little car. Not on the Nav screen.
I'm still troubled that everyones door ajar lit up in the really cold weather and the one time mine did it was in the somewhat toasty 58-degree F. garage.
Still not sure of the tie between cold and the bogus warning.
Just to update, only day two of ownership did this happen to me and never again.
Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
brandt, I don't see any info on the screen at all. Do you have the Nav option? If not, is it something that has to be changed in the set up? I've had my MO for two days and haven't seen info on the screen about doors being open.

Bob, I'm a little confused, you say you only see the little car on the dash. Brandt says he sees info on the screen!!

Thanks, Sonny

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah, Sonny - it's on the screen, in type. example: "R-rear door open". Of course the little car icon is on the dash at the same time. I don't have nav option. My Mo is an 03 SE. Maybe you can use the toggle to set it. It's probably in the manual.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
It only shows on the display if you are in gear and moving.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sonny, just to make it a little easier. I do not have the NAV option but we all have the little TV screen deal. Mine will show fuel useage, radio stations, a/c and heat functions, temps ect.
I can't imagine the NAV screen will show this little car with door ajar warning on the NAV screen but on the Dash by the speedometer.
If the NAV people have this little car symbol picture on the NAV screen please jump in.
Bob

Sorry to duplicate info, I started to type my answer and was delayed and Tyler and Brandt responded before I hit the enter button.
Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bob,
I get the little car symbol on the dash. I've never noticed the door ajar info on the screen. Tyler pointed out that the car has to be in gear and/or moving for the info to come up. I will test it out tonight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts