Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Guys,

My Mo is officially a week old tomorrow. It has rained on and off this whole week in LA . The Mo is pretty dirty! SO what is my next step. I wan to take great care of this car. It is my first truly New car so I want to baby her. I have the deep Bordeaux color! I love it and i want to do my best to keep it looking great. I have noticed slight slight swirl marks in the direct sunlight.
I must have read 100's of threads about Zaino here and around the internet! It sure sounds like people love it! I have never really put much thought into the care of my previous cars. I washed them regularly and waxed them once a year with whatever was on sale at Wal-mart. SO Give me some guidance. I will be right by the local distributor of Zaino tomorrow so should I drop the $$ and get it? Will I be able to do it correctly? ( all I have ever done before is wash and wax)
I kind of have a deadline to decide what I am going to do because My wife and I are leaving in a week to visit her family and there will be lots of snow where she is fromJ
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
719 Posts
From your explaination of your previous car maintenance habits, I'd probably steer you away from Zaino. While a great line of product, it is definitely an enthusiast's line and priced accordingly. It is also pretty precise as to how it is applied, in what quantity, and how long it cures, and then is removed.

I would suggest you consider Klasse All In One. Similar product to Zaino in that it is a protective sealer instead of a wax, but IMO, much easier to apply and more importantly remove. No drying time or curing time like Zaino and it does give an excellent quality shine and very nice duability.

You can add coats any time and the more you buiold up the better the shine.

You must do some reaseach on your own however as to proper methods and products to wash the car, clay it to remove all contaminents and then apply the sealer, Klasse or Zaino, which ever you decide on.

Here's a couple of links to the car care methods and Klasse products on line to assist you in your research:

http://www.autogeek.net/index.html

http://www.carcareonline.com/

http://www.autopia.org/index.php

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am in the same boat as Mathteacher.

My new Mo is a week old and in need of some TLC on the outside. The problem with giving it the old buff and shine is that I live here in the mountains of Idaho, and the cold weather and occasional snow make it difficult to wash a vehicle effectively outdoors. Not too mention that even if I was motivated enough to do it, my hands would be resembling hunks of pot roast when I was 10 minutes into it.

My questions are these:

Is there an abbreviated method other than the "In-Zaino" one to keep your vehicles paint protected? I don't necessarily need the showroom shine, just paint protection.

Any tricks for those of us in the cold out of doors?

And finally, are there any products out there that provide a clear coat or sealant that would last longer than wax?

It's not that I am lazy, well maybe it is that I am lazy :) but I simply will not stay with a method that requires 3 hours to apply and forsakes the automatic car wash. Certainly in the winter my hose does nothing but shoot out icicles anyway, so I am limited to going to the car washing bay.

I am happy to clay the paint and go off on waxing procedures the first time, but I see my enthusiasm for this procedure slowly dropping off-buying a ton of expensive car care products will most likely just sit in my garage.

The interior is a different story though. I will do whatever it takes to keep that pristine. Are there any products one would recommend for brand new leather as a protectant?

NIMO's RULE!

·
Registered
78 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
[

I would suggest you consider Klasse All In One. Similar product to Zaino in that it is a protective sealer instead of a wax, but IMO, much easier to apply and more importantly remove. No drying time or curing time like Zaino and it does give an excellent quality shine and very nice duability.

You can add coats any time and the more you buiold up the better the shine.

The Klasse products do work very well and are extremely easy to apply and remove. Get the All In One and follow the instructions along with the tips from the websites and then apply at least a couple of coatings of the Klasse Sealant Glaze. Once you have used these products, you will probably never go back to regular wax again because the Klasse is so much easier to use and works better than most waxes.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I think Klasse finished 3rd in the Guru Reports.
www.gurureports.org - I purchased the report.
It was Zaino, P21 and then Klasse in that order.
Good stuff.
Third in a a test of 45 waxs/synthetics is obviously very, very good.
However, don't think that it is just a half hour and you are done with Klasse.

Like Zaino, the car needs to be super clean. No one wants to seal dirt in.
So you need to wash with Dawn.
Claybar the car. (If you use Dawn as the lube you don't have to wash the car again, just rinse it. :)
Apply a coat of AIO (all in one).
Buff out.
Like Zaino, the more coats of AIO, the better.

Now things change (from Zaino)
When you have applied as many coats as you wish, then Klasse wants you to apply the Sealant glaze.
You have to let this stuff really dry.
It WILL depend on temp and humidity.
It may take overnight,
Then buff and you are done.

I see it as being no easier than Zaino, but not everybody agrees,

The big difference in using synthetics is that they will last the whole winter.
Wax will not last 6 weeks.

Homer

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Links you should read:
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=616
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=620
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=538

You don't need to be a perfectionist. The extra steps we do are because we want a really top notch result. The extra step of clay baring is common to all products. Really good to do though and you can do it in the garage.

All you really have to do is wash and wax(polish).

Wash with Dawn. I always use warm water and it comes in handy during the winter. Try to a find an area that has no wind and it will be better. Dunk your hands and wash mit in the bucket often. Good thing to do anyways. Aside from not sealing the dirt under a polish, you don't want to add microscratches to your finish.

Took me a 1/2 ounce of Zaino Z2 to cover the Murano using Homer's patented and trade marked drop system ;). So not sure it costs more.

Zaino is not a wax. I used to use Mothers Pure Carnuba wax and it would last a few weeks and was more difficult to apply and buff off. With Zaino, the applying and the buffing off is more like wiping vice rubbing and buffing plus it last a few months.

Zaino doesn't have abrasives. I don't like combination products that have polish and abrasives. If I want abrasives to polish out a big blemish, then I use one specifically designed for that purpose and I can see the effects while using it so I know when to stop. Abrasives remove the clear coat finish and the use of them is totally different than "waxing". For small swirls I like to use a product that fills/hides it - nonabrasive more like "waxing". Using a combination filler/hider and abrasive product, your never sure if you removed it or just hid it. And I'm never really sure what grit of abrasive they have when they say "clearcoat safe" you should check with the manufacturer. I like to be deliberate and make a conscious decision before hand.

Zaino has a product specifically designed to hide swirls -Z5. You may not need it, Z2 may be all you need. Depends on the severity. Post pics if you can.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
on my new cars............

started with

...mothers carnuba with cleaner..... (paste)... works well; a bit of a pain to remove..... lasts average amount of time......(weekly washes)

...zymol carnuba liquid.... fills swirls, light cleaner, goes on simple, and NEEDS to be buffed off BEFORE it dries, or its a total PITA to remove..... lasts below average...... not long enough for my washes... (smells like coconut though)

...meguairs gold clearcoat liquid........ fills swirls, light cleaner/oxidation remover, goes on smooth (oily?) and MUST dry entirely before removing, or it smears everywhere.....

i have stopped trying new stuff since i go the megs' gold wax (not the cheaper series, but the gold series) as it meets my needs, an gives me a monster shine (and no dang swirls AT ALL..)

i had swirls (not too ba, but still....) the day i picked her up.....

dont get me started on that ordeal though (not too bad, i guess)

goo luck, and post up your results/choices!!

SMS

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I get off work in about an hour. My plan is to get the stuff today and clean her up this weekend.
Thanks for all your advice. I have still not made up my mind yet. I have found a local distributor of Zaino in LA but I can't find anywhere to but Klasse All in one. The Zaino people said I should be able to do it no problem but of course they want me to buy their product.

Tell Me a little more about "megs' gold wax" Can I get that in a store. Is it fairly easy to put on?

This is my one new car I am going to get for a lon long time so I just want to make the best decision. Thanks,

Mathteacher

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
meguair's gol class clear coat liquid is merely a store-brand of wax/protectant......

as above, it goes on nie and thick, and you MUST let it dry entirely b-4 buffing off.....

it leaves a very nice candy-shell on the paint, IMO (for store-brand waxes)

i havent tried zaino yet, and am still happy with the meg.s' for now..... as often as i wash/polish, its okay

SMS

ps- i have also found that Felknor knows his sh#t on detailing..... so take that advice as well in making your decision..

the megs' gold is 9.99 a bottle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a distributor of Klasse here in LA.

I am going to give it a shot tomorrow. I bought both the All in one and the sealant.

I have read various directions so I think I have a pretty good understanding. I just don't want to mess up.

I need to pick up a microfiber applicator tomorrow. Any suggestions? Wal Mart, Target, Auto Zone??

I have two new 100 % made in the usa cotton towles that my wife is going to cut off the edges and sew for me tomorrow. (Do I need to wash the towels first?)

I think I am going to skip the Clay bar. I just don't feel comfotable doing that. I would hate to Mess up. (I can always do it at a later time right??)

So does this sound right?

Wash car.
Dry with 100% cotton towles

Apply Klasse All in one one area at a time and taking it off right after.(No drying time)

Apply Klasse Sealant on entire car. Let Dry maybe overnight.

Thanks for all your help guys. I feel like such a rookie!!!

But I guess you have to start somewhere right!

Mathteacher

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'd strongly urge you to reconsider your position on not claying the car. Go to any auto parts store and buy a clay bar kit (Mother's seems to get pretty good reviews and is the one I use).

Wash the car with Dawn (Blue dishwashing detergent) first and dry it well. Then put your hand in a plastic sandwich bag and gently feel the surface of your car through the plastic bag.

You'll feel like you've got sandpaper on the car's finish (if your is like mine was). If it feels as smooth and clean as a freshly washed baby's butt, then you ready to apply the Klasse AIO.

If it's rough, then follow the instructions on the clay bar kit and do one small section at a time. Check with the plastic bag after each pass with the clay bar. You'll be absolutley amazed at the difference when you're done claying.

With a dark color like you have, the clay bar is really an important step to get the best finish.

The Klass AIO can be applied, and wiped off immediately an requires no curing time. You can do another coat immediately and another and another.

The cleanliness of the car for the first application however is absolutely critical.

Please, do the clay bar first. No one here who did it was sorry for the effort required and anyone who's tried it and seen the results has been impressed.

The high gloss sealant is more difficult to remove and I would suggest that you try to get 4-5 coats of the AIO first. You can always wash the MOP later and add the sealant when time permits. It really isn't critical to do it on the first day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts