Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, several fast questions as I'm considering a MO very late in the game (another brand dealership is still trying to locate me a different vehicle and has already appraised my trade, etc, but I just happened across the Murano on a whim and fell in love with it):

- Best price for an 04 SL 2WD with Sunroof? (i understand that requires a Premium package as well)

- Realistic mileage on midgrade gas with no lead in foot (most of the time) and in straight D? I know this is a point of contention, I'm just askin' for 20 here =0)

- 03 used SL 2WD pretty much bone stock - $23k a reasonable offer from me? Price on it is just under 26, has 10k miles.

- New or used, given the above scenarios?

thanks!!!
dave

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
I drive slow and use 93 octane, all city driving. I get 16 mpg.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gas mileage:

I get about 19 with low grade fuel, and about 23 with mid grade. Never tried the high grade. I do 50/50 city/hwy usually. I know others get higher and some get lower. Not sure why, but I'm satisifed with my performance.

Good luck.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Go get the MO... but read first..

- Best price for an 04 SL 2WD with Sunroof?
(i understand that requires a Premium package as well)

Ans:
It is not uncommon that you can get the Mo at invoice price.
If you are good (and the dealer is really wanna sell the car), you can even get under invoice. I got mine $700 under invoice because i bought end of the year model. (Bought in Nov 2003 for an 03 SL model). There are even people in this forum who get it thousands less than invoice... lucky them ~

- Realistic mileage on midgrade gas with no lead in foot (most of the time) and in straight D? I know this is a point of contention, I'm just askin' for 20 here =0)

Ans:
The manufacturer's estimate on Murano mpg is when the car is driven under ceteris paribus condition. Meaning: all else equal, speed at 50mph, no accelreration, flat road, car not heavy, tire inflated properly...in short: ideal condition but not easily re-createable.
I drove the MO in highway, 19 - 20 mpg is achieved mostly.
In city, around 13 - 16 mpg, depending on the condition of the stop and go traffic. And yes, i always use mid grade gas 89 octane.

- 03 used SL 2WD pretty much bone stock - $23k a reasonable offer from me? Price on it is just under 26, has 10k miles.

Ans:
Yes, i think it is reasonable.
You can get brand new 'base' 04 SL 2wd around $26K.

- New or used, given the above scenarios?
Depends!
If the used murano has all the package you want, and if the price is at $23K, you saved around $7000 dollars by not getting the new vehicle. 04 SL 2wd with full option minus navigation, can cost you around $30K easily.
And in addition:

1. since it is an 03, you still have 2 yrs warranty.
2. the price of new car depreciates a lot during 1st year of ownership. So basically if you get the used mo, you skip that first year exponential curve.
3. it is a nissan, why the $30K?
Save the extra $7000 and get a BMW Z4 roadster in a year or two from now to compliment your used-MO, for example :)

Hope this helps. Post the pic once you get the Mo , will you?:4:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, thanks SRM.

The used one is missing only a couple things I'd want out of a new one.

If I bought new, I'd simply add the Sunroof package, which by nature adds the Premium Pkg as well.

The used one is pretty much no options, I think. Power seats, windows, etc, the center screen is just for trip computer, etc.

In either case I'd see if the dealer could tack on the XM receiver.

I'm hoping to get a response from the same dealer on a new quote - CarsDirect's price on exactly what I want is 29 grand, if they'll beat it by 2 I'm likely to buy it. =0)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Fuel economy for the Murano seems to be all over the board. 20MPG however, sounds like pie in the sky to me. I get around 14-15mpg in the city (driving very conservatively), and about 20mpg if I drive all highway. On a LONG trip I once got a miraculous 22.5mpg averaging around 65mph.

Now I do believe that you can get the EPA numbers if you a) live in a city with no traffic lights and no cars (so you never have to stop), or b) always drive 55mph on the highway. Since that is not true for anyone, I would take the EPA mileage numbers (20/24 for AWD Murano) to be a purely theoretical number that is not likely for the average driver.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'll say this about the mileage. I currently drive a big pickup truck with a V8.

$54 to fill up a 30-gal tank, nets me about 420 miles, so I figure I'm at about 14MPG.

If the Mo takes less money to get me the same distance, I'd consider that a small win, and if I can push that up even further then I'd say "score".

So the 20MPG is considering that same 420 miles on this 21 gallon tank. And I'd be saving 12 bucks in the process every time.

That said, I'm in DC rush-hour traffic all morning, but surprisingly only slow up a couple times on the way home. Weekends are usually highway miles for me if not just puttering around running errands.

Side note: the sunroof, were I to get one, has an interior solid panel to cover the glass, right? My girlfriend asked.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yes there is a sliding cover in the interior to cover the moonroof when not in use.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have just about an equal mix of highway and city driving...I'm averaging about 19 mpg....I only use premium fuel (isn't that what is recommended in the manual for the MO?)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I only use premium fuel (isn't that what is recommended in the manual for the MO?)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm also going with the recomended high test 93 octane. The MO is 3 months old and the drive is a combo rural/city but very little stop and go. My numbers are hovering at 20.4 MPG. I still expect better as I get closer to 5000 miles or so.
Bob1

·
101 Posts
Mileage-wise, I get anywhere from 12 mpg in heavy stop-n-go city traffic (worse case) to 20-23 mpg cruisin' down the freeway (non-stop, 60-70mph, 30-80miles each way). I would say I average 16-18 mpg weekly since I got my MO back in August '03. I used premium mostly, but have run on mid-grade with similar results.

20 mpg will be hard to get in any SUV with the power and weight of a MO. You would have to go down in model size to, say, a CR-V. You could also be very, very light on the gas pedal, but once you get used to the acceleration on the MO, you will have a hard time keeping to that.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
mine is doing 19.8 at the last full tank of premium. City drivin all and I'm not afraid to treat expressway traffic like pylons.
Wooohoooo!
Atlanta was just exposed as having the fastest expressway traffic, it averages 75. Da cops have been out tryin to slow it down an it's kinda funny, they pull one over and everyone just speeds right back up.
:12:
I drive 15 miles to work at 6 am in 15 minutes, 30-45 minutes for the commute home. Dam semi's.....right where they get on, the traffic slows to a crawl.
:11:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts