Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've sifted through a couple pages of info on this site. I have to say it has a great layout. Kudos for that:2:

My fiance and I have been looking at various suv's for her daily vehicle and I have some questions I'd like to ask you guys and gals.
1. Any major problems in the first year of ownership. Not so much the squeaks and rattles but more towards the engine, tranny, or interior pieces falling apart?
2. The murano (AWD) lists fuel mileage as 20/24. How close to those values does everyone get on a normal basis?
3. Now for the opinions. How satisfied are you with the purchase? From initial inspection, everything appears to be well made. Doors close with ease without the GM clunk. Body lines are tight. And that CVT is seamless. Absolutely wonderful really.
4. Anything I may have missed that you'd like to add.

Thanks,
Darrin

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
1. Any major problems in the first year of ownership. Not so much the squeaks and rattles but more towards the engine, tranny, or interior pieces falling apart?
2. The murano (AWD) lists fuel mileage as 20/24. How close to those values does everyone get on a normal basis?
3. Now for the opinions. How satisfied are you with the purchase? From initial inspection, everything appears to be well made. Doors close with ease without the GM clunk. Body lines are tight. And that CVT is seamless. Absolutely wonderful really.
Answers (my opinion):

1. NO, i have owned european car before. Murano is lots more trouble free than european cars like audi or vw
2. mine is awd sl, around 19 - 22 highway, and 11- 15 city
The published mpg is "unrealistic". You can replicate if you drive 50mph, no ac, no load, perfect tire pressure, straight line driving, etc ..you know, all-else-being-equal condition
3. I agree.. i like this murano.
4. search the forum, read all posts, from start to end. Also, read the FAQ

HOwever, beware! If you browse this forum, off course you will find "lots of problem" with Murano.
Consider these 2 points:
- people will post to forum when they got problems. That's what forum is for.
- How many murano owner is member of this forum? Many more does not even know this forum is there. Still, i saw lots of murano on the street these days. On average i saw 2 - 3 murano a day. How cool is that.
Make sure you are aware of "streering defect" problem with the murano mentioned in 2004 consumer reports...

Good luck! Post pic when you got her.:4:

·
Registered
792 Posts
yeesh - 11-15 in the city. I thought my wife had a lead foot. We average 16+ in the city (Chicago burbs). Most of which is stop and go.

I am very pleased with the Murano. It is everything I wanted and more. We also have the SL AWD - no VDC and no Nav. Leather is nice. Build quality is nice. Rattles a touch - but I don't find it offensive. we have the Bose stereo and it is nice for normal listening. It isn't competition quality - but it is acceptable for most listeners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the responses. I just thought it would be good to get some input from actual owners plus it was easier than flagging down people on the road:p
Keep the reply's coming. :)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
trbogolf said:
I've sifted through a couple pages of info on this site. I have to say it has a great layout. Kudos for that:2:

My fiance and I have been looking at various suv's for her daily vehicle and I have some questions I'd like to ask you guys and gals.

Thanks,
Darrin

1. No major problems at all. The 3.5L V6 is a proven design and dates back to 1994 in basic architecture. It is a very reliable engine, possibly the most reliable V6 you can buy.

2. The EPA figures are a pipe dream. I imagine they coasted a Murano down a hill with the engine off to get those 20/24 figures. On 93 octane, I average around 15mpg in town (driving in the suburbs, not heavy city) and around 20mpg on the highway with avg speed 70mph. But then again, I don't know too many vehicles that achieve the high EPA figures.

3. I am very happy with my Murano. I drove a Maxima before, and I can confidently say this is truly "the Maxima of SUVs." In this price range, you cannot find a more stylish, better performing crossover vehicle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
With my MO the published city MPG was just about dead on. After about a month of break-in, I'm now consistently seeing 19 mpg. I don't do any highway driving. It seems like we have lights every 500 ft or so around here. I will be traveling this summer and hope to see even better mileage. Honestly anyone who buys a car like this and expects super MPG , is being unrealistic. I came from a chevy S10 that couldn't beat 15 MPG on its best day. So I'm very happy. Not to mention the MO has so much more power and weighs more,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HTRK-1 said:
Honestly anyone who buys a car like this and expects super MPG , is being unrealistic.
believe me, I'm not expecting super MPG. I would just like to know that it's not going to average 15mpg on the hwy with the AC on. The last test I saw had the overall avg close to 15. Which could have been due to several factors. Lead foot, not broke in yet, less than premium fuel, etc.

This thing does require premium right? I'm pretty sure I read that. The salesman didn't seem to know:rolleyes:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've got an '03 SL AWD with all the options except the cold package. Most of my driving is city driving, and I'm getting 15-18 mpg (more often on the 15 end of things). When I get on the highway, I get 19-21 mpg. Being in Florida, I've got the A/C running almost all the time, and I know that drags down the mpg a bit. I'm not unhappy with the mileage I'm getting, though. I use premium gasoline, as the owner's manual recommends. Others on this forum, though, have been using regular or mid-grade without much problem. With the rising gas prices, I've thought about going to mid-grade.

I really enjoy driving my Murano...probably more than any other vehicle I've owned. I've not run into the problems that some folks have. An occasional rattle here and there, but nothing that's constant or annoying. The CVT has been working flawlessly, and I'm amazed at the smooth ride and power of this SUV! 15,000 miles and one year later, I have no regrets at all and would eagerly purchase another Murano when the time comes!

Jeff

·
Registered
792 Posts
We drove from Chicago to Florida and averaged around 24-26mpg. I reset the computer every fillup so I don't know the entire average. This was running the A\C in Florida and the heat during anything north of Atlanta. Anywhere from 70-85mph depending on the other cars around. We got about the same going to Nebraska in the summer running the AC the entire trip.

Given the size and power of the Murano - I'm not going to complain of the mileage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My mileage is running about 15% lower than the EPA estimates. I have only gone about 1000 miles, I'm using premium gas and I drive conservatively.

I have not experienced the rattles that others have and am, at least so far, quite pleased. I did experience some understeer in the snow that raised my heart rate but I talked to several other people who experienced the same issues I had at that location. Chalk it up to a learning experience. Maybe I'll slow down there.:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I understand about the concerns with the mileage......With that said, if you can afford a 30K car, you can afford the gas. I guess what, I'm saying is, if you buy the MO, and can't afford $2-$3 per gallon, maybe you are living beyond your means.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just came back from a long trip (Bay Area to San Diego to Las Vegas and back). When i started Mo had 700 miles averaging 12.4 mpg. Now it has 1900 miles and gas mileage improved just a bit (16.4mpg). Used regular and midgrade gas. I'll switch to premium gas and just hope that it gets better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HTRK-1 said:
I understand about the concerns with the mileage......With that said, if you can afford a 30K car, you can afford the gas. I guess what, I'm saying is, if you buy the MO, and can't afford $2-$3 per gallon, maybe you are living beyond your means.
I know what you're saying there. I just don't like throwing money away. No problems with buying a 30K car or with paying the price for premium gas (my current car requires it). I'd just rather not buy a vehicle that get 2/3 the mileage that it claims on a regular basis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts