Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Consumer Reports website has an updated report on the 2004 Murano. CR calls the Murano "one of the better SUVs we've tested" and predicts above average reliability. Individual ratings are excellent, except for Body Integrity and Body Hardware, which are rated above average.

CR ranks mid-sized and large SUVs as follows:

(Audi Allroad)
(BMW XV 4.4i)
Lexus RX330
Honda Pilot EX
(Nissan Murano)
Toyota Highlander
Subarau Outback
Volvo XC70
Acura MDX

I've used parentheses to indicate models that CR does _not_ recommend. The Murano is not recommended because of the low-speed steering problem ("defect" in CR's parlance). If I recall correctly, the Audi is not recommended because of reliability issues, the BMW because of safety/stability concerns.

Here's the CR summary:

The new-for-2003 Murano is one of the better SUVs we've tested. Its refined and powerful 3.5 liter V6 is mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT), delivering strong performance and respectable fuel economy. Handling is responsive, secure, and forgiving with optional stability control. A stiff and noisy ride is a significant drawback. The front seats are fairly comfortable and the interior is stylishly dressed, but the trim doesn't provide the rich feel one expects in this price class. Although access is easy and the seating is roomy, cargo space is limited. First-year reliability has been above average. Due to a steering defect we don't recommend the Murano.

For reliability, CR rates the following as excellent:
Engine, Cooling, Fuel, Ignition, Transmission, Electrical, A/C, Suspension, Brakes, Exhaust, Power Equipment, and Paint/Trim/Rust.

CR rates the following as above average: Body integrity, Body hardware.

Regarding safety, CR indicates above average crash results on the government tests for:
front-crash, driver; front-crash, front passenger; and side-crash, rear passenger.

CR indicates an excellent result for side-crash test, driver.

In "other findings," CR rates the Transmission as excellent, Routine Handling as above average, and Emergency Handling as average.

Fuel economy is rated below average: CU's overall mileage, mpg: 19; CU's city/highway, mpg: 14/26; CU's 150-mile trip, mpg: 22.

Ride, noise, and cargo area are rated average.

Driving position, fit and finish, and front-seat comfort are rated above average.

Access, controls and displays, and rear-seat comfort are rated excellent.

David G.

·
Registered
834 Posts
From what I hear if you turn the wheel left to right enough the power steering may lose boost.

But I am not sure if this is completly accurate. But remember reading about it somewhere, FA?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the steering issue has been discussed in other threads. As I recall, in some Muranos, or in all Muranos at some times, if one is going slowly enough and rapidly turns the steering wheel, the steering wheel becomes extremely difficult to turn.

For what it's worth, I was unable to duplicate this when test-driving an 03. We ordered an 04, which has not yet arrived.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The interior thing kinda pisses me off.

I think the M interior is sexy as hell. That a one reason why we bought it. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Hmmm I do acknowledge that the Murano's steering has the issue that CR reports (mine does). But it is just so rare when it happens (only if you are at idle and turn it from lock to lock as fast as you can) that I do not see it as a defect at all.

Well I guess 2 or 3 years from now we will find out whether Nissan has a recall for the steering problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts