Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my 2005 annual buying guide which has the Reliabilty report. It does include the 2003 MO and for what its worth, it had perfect marks except for Integrity and Hardware where it received the next lower mark under execellent. Based on my experience with my 04, I agree.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
For the 04 model Consumer Reports said that the only reason they didn't list the Murano as a recommended vehicle is because of the power steering problem that they found. Now that they have fixed it on the 05, I bet they'll put that all-important little check by it from now on... ;)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I am surprised it did not receive a lower score for electrical due to the alternator issues.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I guess all the MO's had the same power steering pump etc. so they could tell and their test vehicle alternator did not failwhile they had it, plus NHTSA did not even have a Murano heading to file under. GRIP :D

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I believe...

GRIPPERDON wrote:
I guess all the MO's had the same power steering pump etc. so they could tell and their test vehicle alternator did not failwhile they had it, plus NHTSA did not even have a Murano heading to file under
I believe this problem has been fixed by NHTSA. Thanks to forum members who bombarded NHTSA with email inquiries.
NHTSA IT person and IT director replied and apologized for the problem. The murano has been "complainable" again at nHTSA website.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Yes SugarRush It has, I'm sorry if I confused the issue, I was referring to why they did not know about it at press time. GRIP :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
April 2005 Consumer Reports Update

On page 9, the following is in print:

NEW TESTS SHOW IMPROVEMENTS IN SUV'S

We recently tested two sport-utility vehicles that presented performance or safety problems in our original tests in 2003. Here are our details:

BMW X5 - BETTER STABILITY CONTROL blah, blah, blah, still not recommended

NISSAN MURANO - BETTER STEERING

The problem: The Murano that we initially tested had a difficulty with its power steering. When we turned the wheel quickly at low engine speeds, the steering would stiffen substantially because the power-steering pump couldn't keep up with the quick input.

The bottom line: Nissan has re-engineered the steering system and fixed the power-steering problem for 2005. The Murano, a capable vehicle that scored well in our tests, is now one of our Recommended SUV's. :2:

·
4,664 Posts
I think I saw your Murano... No, maybe it was mine... No, I was driving mine... I have no idea, it looked exactly like ours....

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
For a while, the Murano was ranked third, below the RX330 and Pilot. However for 2005, the Highlander now ranks above the Murano (placing it 4th). I guess the 3.3L engine and 3rd row seat did it for the Toyota.

Nissan fared terrible in the reliability survey due to problems with the Quest, Armada, and Titan (each receiving the lowest mark, a black dot, for reliability). As a result, Nissan trailed all the other Japanese automakers. Infiniti was reliable though. The Murano had half a red dot for reliability, an encouraging score. As poorly as Nissan did, most of the European makes made a turn for the worse - nearly every Mercedes, BMW, VW, and Volvo received black dots for reliability.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Murano has a half red dot for 2005 reliability with a check mark for better than average reliability for this year, and in its subcategories it has 12 full dots and 2 half dots.

In the quick picks category, inclusive of 200 vehicles tested, only 21 earned high ratings in all major areas. This includes 13 cars and 8 SUV's, one of them the Murano SL! Others on this list include Honda Pilot EX-L, Infiniti FX35, Lexus RX330, Toyota 4Runner SR5, Toyota Highlander Limited, Toyota Rav 4 and Subaru Forester.This all helps out on the resale value of our vehicles. :2:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Good...as i am probably selling mine sometimes

next yr :D
Mo in TO: This all helps out on the resale value of our vehicles

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
them the Murano SL! Others on this list include Honda Pilot EX-L, Infiniti FX35, Lexus RX330, Toyota 4Runner SR5, Toyota Highlander Limited, Toyota Rav 4 and Subaru Forester.

Yet no one in Detroit attempts to get their cars on that list, what a shame. I wonder if they can't build em as good or they won't?
Bob1

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
It seemed that every competitive domestic brand vehicle had terrible reliability, so it didn't make that select list. For example, CR seemed to like the Cadillac SRX but it ended up with a black dot in reliability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts