Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please anyone! My 2011 CrossCab has a non operating top. It is stuck closed and the button will not open it. Also, the TRUNK wont work even with electric key or the hard key inserted. IT just wont turn the lock. Any suggestions I am sure the interior tray has become loose and slid out of its horizontal track but how on earth can I get into the trunk to correct the tray? Is there a way to reset the top electronically or reset the trunk electronically so it might now work to allow me in? Ive heard of disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together for 2 minutes to reset the top. Any ideas would be appreciated! JDC

·
Registered
119 Posts
OK first is the indicator on the dash lit indicating the top is open? The batteries need to be in good full state of charge may have to put a battery charger on it for a bit to make sure. Then one needs to hold the button for a bit in either open or closed position to get the top to fully lock again, mine did the same thing last winter when I had it stored with battery hooked up without a battery maintainer on it Battery was stone dead and the top lock released over the winter when the battery died and the trunk wouldn't open. The trunk will not operate electrically "but you should be able to open it with the key" if the top is not locked in completely. My be a separate issue.
Since you unhooked the batteries the auto windows will need to be calibrated as well now, this is laid out step by step in the owners manual. If I remember correctly it is simply hold each window button both in open for 3 seconds and closed for 3 seconds after window is to full travel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SCcrosscab - similar problems as yours listed. Battery replaced and now - flashing warning light on dash / alarm for top 'partially' opened. (It is not).

How did you access the trunk with the key - as electronic FOB, dash trunk switch (glove box trunk switch is on) do not function? There is no mechanically location to insert key into trunk lock - unless I am missing something? Note: My trunk shelf is not in correct position to function top. Winter in Wisconsin!

Please advise on your solution...

Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
SCcrosscab - I found the key hole under the trim section on the trunk! Inserted key and lock would not turn. I am applying WD-40 to free up the lock. Hopefully this allows access to the trunk and once the divider is in the correct position - the top alarm and light is reset.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Trunk key mechanically inserted in trunk lock cylinder but will not turn. Believe there is another safety device blocking the trunk from opening.

I pulled the 15 amp fuse for the 'folding top' - omitting the flashing red light and alarm sound.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The key should open it, there is nothing that would prevent it from opening with the key that is the mechanical direct link. How hard have you tried, I know if they have not been used one needs to work it for a bit but it should unlock it. I have been to the dealer and seen them go through the gas filler cap area to pop trunks and hatch backs all the time as the cable runs by the opening in the trunk they can grab the cable and pull it to bypass the unlock motor may be worth looking into if you don't feel comfortable working the key any harder in the lock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wild & Free

I attempted to go through the back seat - if there was a port hole to pull the trunk release. No access. Good idea on going through the gas filler cap area. Not sure it is doable but worth considering.

I took it to a Nissan Dealer who attempted to resolve the problem with only conclusion was to recommend replacement of the body control module for $2,700 plus labor. You can imagine I jumped at his recommendation. Although he did charge me for 1.5 hrs for labor on educating his Sr. Diagnostic technician.

I left the dealer and went to an independent repair shop. Hooked up the Nissan and within 5 minutes he unlocked the trunk. Put the shelf in place and open / closed the top. Problem solved.

Regarding the trunk key, I agree with what you are saying about the trunk lock. Once the problem of getting the trunk open was omitted, I did not take a close look at the trunk lock to identify why the key would not turn. I (and others) jiggled the key in every manner that you could think of (and forcefully). Once the trunk opened, the key easily turned with little effort and popped the trunk.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wild & Free
I left the dealer and went to an independent repair shop. Hooked up the Nissan and within 5 minutes he unlocked the trunk. Put the shelf in place and open / closed the top. Problem solved.
WIS, Could you specify what the successful independent repair shop did in particular?
I would like to know what the independent shop did to get it open as well. Can you elaborate to help anyone else who may run into this in the future as it could be any of us here.;)

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
just another case - solved

Just woke her up from hibernation and was confronted with exactly the same problem as the thread starter:
Roof warning light flashing, but roof wouldn't operate, neither did the trunk release.

I opened the trunk using the mechanical key. Hence that the key is not symmetrically shaped, so you have to insert into the correct position. If you choose the wrong one, the key's plastic head will prevent you from fully inserting anyway.

Therafter I put the luggage separator to the closed position (unintentionally left it open in autumn).

Problem solved.

Just recalibrated the power windows as described in the manual and everything was fine.

Love the car! Love springtime!
:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
help with my lock trunk...murano convertible

Can you please tell me what auto mechanic did do open your trunk??? Nissan dealer cannot do it and has no idea what to do!!!! My convertible top will also not work....they refuse to fix that saying it is not included in the warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Me too. I see it's not uncommon, but did anyone have a fix? Help! (After 5 days, Dealership is telling me they are trying a locksmith tomorrow, but may have to "cut through the trunk!???)

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK. Locksmith worked... he made a new, larger copy of the physical key (more torque) and was able to free the trunk lock mechanism in less than 5 minutes. With trunk now open, replaced roof rack, and roof warning light problem solved!

fyi - Cost me $130 dealer "diagnostics fee," $240 for new battery w/installation and "shop fees," plus $85 for the independent locksmith and key (yes, that's over $450 total for 6 days at the shop). On the plus size, got a free 2017 Nissan Rogue loaner, which re-affirmed my love for the CrossCab! (Other than regular oil changes and new tires, this is the first maintenance money I've had to spend in 4 years of ownership.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
...problem solved!

VERY HAPPY to hear that the problem is solved. What a relief!

Learnings for all CC owners:

1) Always keep your trunk lock mechanism in good working condition (clean and greased)
2) Avoid keeping the roof rack open - at least in case of hibernation, workshop visits, battery issues etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Key worked to get trunk open

Thanks all for the insights & for saving me a trip to the dealer! Mine did this same scenario yesterday. Not sure what caused it because my battery is fine and roof was fully closed. I use the car every day and the roof has not been open for over a month. The alarm was going off & my golf shoes were stuck in the trunk!

I tried the key first and could not get it to budge but then after reading all of your post today I tried again. The key actually seems to fit in either way but only actually fully goes in one way. The plastic grip portion needs to be in the back/trunk side of the lock so the key goes in more & the lock opens right up. The other way sure looks & feels like the key is fully inserted.

I put the roof support tray back in place opened the roof and no more alarm. Next I tried closing the roof and it just made an electronic clicking sound which didn't make me happy. The windows would not go up and the trunk again would not open. But then I remembered someone mentioned just continuing to hold the button down longer than normal. I did and the roof finally engaged and closed. Seems okay now - no alarm once I crossed the 3 mph threshold that triggers the partial open alarm. Hopefully this isn't a sign that the control board is starting to go on it. Like others I've had no maintenance expenses except normal oil change etc. 2013 model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2011 Nissan Murano CrossCab ... Broken Top - Won't close completely

My wife's 2011 Murano CrossCab top will close and latch, but the flaps in the back will not go down. So the indicator stays on and when you drive it beeps. When this happens and you try again ... it keeps the top from even opening. Of course the trunk won't pop open either. The windows won't go up. Took it to Larry H Miller Nissan in Denver and paid the mechanic $150 to tell me the motors need to be replaced at the tune of $1800!!! The car has 68K miles on it and the top is only down half the year. Try driving with it solid beep going off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Convertible error code on dash; convertible & trunk in-op

Followed suggestions here for my 2014 Crossover Murano and it worked! I had my husband check out my car and replaced the battery. He was stumped and would have taken my “Kiddo” to the dealership. Finding this site has helped me. Hoping I can help another lamen like myself. This is what I did:
1.) Unlocked the truck (check to the right of the manual trunk release; small circular key hole is there)
2.) secured the catch-shelf for the top
3.) started the engine and held down the closed top for approximately 3 seconds; opened the top (I did get scared when only the windows rolled down & wouldn’t roll back up) but held down closed again for 3 seconds; opened the top and it worked.
4.) reset windows at this time too.
Happy, happy camper.
Thank you so much! :29:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Murano CrossCabriolet Trunk Lock

The trunk will open with a key when there is a problem with the top. The key hole is to the right of the electric button used to unlock the trunk. The key goes in in either direction but it will only turn when inserted in one direction. The key has a notch at the top that will not let it turn if inserted the wrong way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Murano CrossCabriolet roof not functioning and trunk not opening - Fixed with a $2 vise-grip.
The battery died in my wife's Murano CC a couple weeks ago. We jump started it and then changed out the battery. The roof would not operate (stuck in closed position) and trunk would not open. She took it to a local Nissan dealer who diagnosed the issue as a bad roof controller, a $9,000 part (plus labor) to replace. I spoke with the service manager and he told me he had his master mechanic hook their computer up to the car in order operate the roof and trunk and both failed. I told him I read a few threads on NissanMurano.org which spoke about various fixes. He said he doubted any would work especially after they had the car for five days trying various options, in addition to his MASTER mechanic looking over the car.

I had my wife pick up the car that evening without agreeing to having anything fixed. An hour after she arrived home I inserted the key into the trunk lock and tried turning it, it wouldn't budge. I read in a few threads above where you needed to exert some force. I grabbed a set of $2 vise-grips and attached them to the top of the key (plastic part) to give additional torque. Turning the key back and force slowly did the trick, the trunk opened.

The bar was off, which we put back in place. Then started the car and both the roof and trunk opened as normal.

The $9,000 savings fix... apply pressure to the key in order to open the trunk. Now wouldn't you think the Nissan dealer would have tried this? NINE THOUSAND dollars, incredible rip-off by an actual Nissan dealer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts