Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 500 miles, I noticed the slight smell of coolant. I chalked it up to engine coating burnoff. Being very busy, I let it go until 5000 mi when I noticed the reservoir was nearly empty. When I took it to the dealer, the service advisor smelled it , but the tech could not find a leak. Anyone else had or heard of this problem? It still persists, and two dealers have just shrugged their shoulders. I'm about to go lemon law on this issue. It's really emabrassing and frustrating to drive a $30k car that smells like a junker. Any help would be appreciated.

They pressure tested, checked seals, did carbon/coolant check, check drains

·
Registered
564 Posts
There was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) released not too long ago (February of this year, I believe) that noted a problem with the radiator cap seal being inappropriate. The TSB noted this could result in loss of coolant and overheating engine. Make sure your dealer knows about this and followed the procedure. You can find the TSB by going to this website: www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Murano/2004/1.htm

Good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've noticed this also, and was wondering if it was normal for the Murano. I didn't know about the TSB. I have to go to the dealer for another issue so I'll have them take a look at it also..thanks for the info

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Brought my murano to 7,500 regular maintenance last friday

and i did complain to the service manager about slight smell of coolant. He noted my complaints and told the technician to do the following:
- presure test the system.
- check radiator cap sealant per TSB, *no* swallon rubber seal
- check expansion tank cap capabilties (maintain and release presure).

RESULT: nada, he did say that he smell coolant and tell me to keep an eye on the coolant level.
Factory trained technician eh?

He also told me to bring along green coolant on long trips just in case i need to top it off.
On the 1st sign of coolant lost, i should bring the car to the dealer.
For now, i just need to live with the smell of coolant and cross my finger. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've noticed the coolant smell also, but only when the A/C is on lowest fan setting and not recirculating. Very odd. At least I'm not the only one. Will have to keep eye on and mention to dealer at next service so they can make a note of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also noticed a coolant smell coming from under the hood of my 2004 MO. and the reservoir was at about ½ full. Since your Dealer did all the tests, my theory is that the coolant reservoir may just be too close to the engine itself and the coolant is evaporating, therefore casing the smell and/or the coolant reservoir’s plastic material is too thin and causes excessive evaporation of coolant. Any other ideas??

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
It is not normal to lose coolant, otherwise all Muranos would lose coolant. What many repair shops do is put a UV flourescent dye into the radiator and after driving for a week they put a UV light under the car and look for leaks. Its what the Nissan technician should have done, but hey, its the "factory trained" technician.

If you continue to lose coolant, I would insist the dealer find the leak, and not just send you along the way. It is not acceptable to tell a customer of a brand new $35,000 SUV to take a bottle of Prestone with them on a long trip because the source of the leak cannot be found.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
ERIL L:
UV flourescent dye into the radiator
Eric, i thought that is the procesdure to find leak in AC system?

For cooling system, only presure test can be performed
To check cracked hoses, usually people use s bottle of water and soap. Spray it on the hose, if it becomes 'bubly' then the hose is cracked.

Yes, the dealer have noted the coolant problem in my file.
Regardless of my warranty, if in the future there is a cooling problem, they will fix it free of charge.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yeah I believe it is also used for AC. Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember a friend telling me her mechanic used a UV die to test the cooling system. I must admit I have never seen it in action.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just reached 2500 miles on my 2004 Murano and I have been smelling coolant since after around 500 miles. I have topped the coolant off twice. I plan to bring this topic up when I go in for my first oil change. I have a plastic radiator cap kind of like the top off of a Prestone coolant bottle. I saw the TSB for the coolant smell issue, but the cap in the picture was a metal-based one with a rubber gasket inside. Anyone have this smell with the plastic top radiator cap?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The coolant overflow tank on the Murano has a plastic cap. I think that is what you are referring to. The actual radiator is at the front of the car, where it usually is. A plastic panel covers the top of the radiator, although if you look there is a little hole where the metal radiator cap is accessible. In fact, I believe the plastic overflow tank is connected by a rubber tube to the radiator right at the metal radiator cap (mine has an orange label on it).

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Iqnupe:
I have a plastic radiator cap kind of like the top off of a Prestone coolant bottle. I saw the TSB for the coolant smell issue, but the cap in the picture was a metal-based one with a rubber gasket inside.
Adding to ERIC.L:

The coolant expansion tank(reservoir) cap is designed in such a way to 'spring' up and down to release/ maintain preasure of the coolant. It will not spring up until presure is too high and will spring back down acordingly when presure is needed

Following the principle of a pressure cooker, without enough pressure, your coolant will boil at lower temp and this will caused overheating to your car.

Too much pressure because of too much heat in the coolant fluid, will also be dangerous. The expansion tank and the entire cooling system hoses/seal will burst.

This is also why every regular maintenance schedule has 'coolant-top-off' check. You *will* loose a bit of coolant after 3000-5000 miles of driving. Coolant vapor escaped when the expansion-tank cap is releasing presure.

When a shop is doing the so called 'presure-test', expansion tank cap's capability in maintaining presure is also being tested in addition to the entire cooling system leak test.

Radiator cap is *not* suppose to release pressure.
It is completely different in design and purpose compare to the expansion-tank cap. If the radiator cap is releasing even a tiny bit of vapor (not even drops) you have coolant leak.
This is what being addressed by Murano TSB.
Hope this helps.;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the additional information folks. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
One additional FYI when adding coolant to the reservoir be sure NOT to over fill it as this will cause fluid to leak and that could be what you are smelling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
water will evaporate and bring the coolant overflow level down. if the rubber seal on the rad cap swells and after a few hundred miles of driving it will cause the top of the rad to leak where it its crimped on. 'cause the cap will not be able to bleed pressure and it will find the weakest point to leak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have noted this coolant smell as well, starting about 500 miles ago. We now have 2500 on our 2004. I'll continue to follow this thread for new developments.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Same here now that you mention it... I have an 03 with 9000 miles. Coolant levels have been holding fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rad Smell

I have a 04 Murano. At about 5000 miles i started gettin a wif of rad juice.I check the coolant tank and it was rite on the mark. Glade to see i am not goin crazy.

04 SE AWD PEWTER

·
Registered
11 Posts
Coolant Burnoff - Dealer Visit

I went to the dealership and they did a pressure test and noticed nothing was wrong with the cooling system. I still smell antifreeze, especially when I roll down my window at a fast food place. Somethings fishy about this situation. I have about 7400 miles on my Murano now.

IQNupe

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If you smell antifreeze, is your coolant level going down? Check both your radiator (when it is cool) and your overflow tank. If it is, that is something the dealer can address.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts