Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 MO
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm back again.

Well, after replacing the radiator a month ago, the coolant started leaking again, but this time, i decided to turn the heater just to check if it smelled like coolant and it did!

Immediately i knew like other posts that coolant must have been leaking inside the cabin and I was right, the mechanic came back today saying that it was leaking for ages (I never smelled it until i turned the heater on) and the heater core is damaged (I had the gurgling sound for years now).

They have suggested to bypass the heater since the replacement is complicated and quite expensive, will this have any issues on my car overheating?

Bear in mind i haven't turned the A/C heater in 10 years or so, it's always hot in here (27-45 degrees C) and i have never had any high temp issues on the car, needle always stays at 1/4 and rarely goes to the middle on a hot day when idle.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
From what I have heard you should be fine with bypassing the heater core.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
883 Posts
Hi Guys, I'm back again.

Well, after replacing the radiator a month ago, the coolant started leaking again, but this time, i decided to turn the heater just to check if it smelled like coolant and it did!

Immediately i knew like other posts that coolant must have been leaking inside the cabin and I was right, the mechanic came back today saying that it was leaking for ages (I never smelled it until i turned the heater on) and the heater core is damaged (I had the gurgling sound for years now).

They have suggested to bypass the heater since the replacement is complicated and quite expensive, will this have any issues on my car overheating?

Bear in mind i haven't turned the A/C heater in 10 years or so, it's always hot in here (27-45 degrees C) and i have never had any high temp issues on the car, needle always stays at 1/4 and rarely goes to the middle on a hot day when idle.
Yes, you can bypass the heater core. Just connect the inlet and outlet pipes coming out of the engine with a new section of hose, BUT make sure that you use a hose with enough slack so that it doesn't kink--you may have to make a loop with the hose rather than a U.

EDIT: I also noticed that they sell U hoses on websites like Amazon just for this purpose--you would need to size up your hose to purchase the correct one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Last year when I was at Nissan to get that long oil cooler line, the guy showed me a diagram of where the cooling lines run to, and it looked like a hub that had many hoses attached to it. I beleive it was somewhere on the pass-side area of the engine, maybe against the firewall. Refer to pics...that might be it. Couldn't he just cut the lines at that connection and plug/clamp the cut hoses? Or even put a cap over the barbed connectors on that hub? I would think removing the cowling would reveal that connection, and the hoses could be removed/plugged very easily. I wouldn't bother paying a mechanic to do this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
883 Posts
Last year when I was at Nissan to get that long oil cooler line, the guy showed me a diagram of where the cooling lines run to, and it looked like a hub that had many hoses attached to it. I beleive it was somewhere on the pass-side area of the engine, maybe against the firewall. Refer to pics...that might be it. Couldn't he just cut the lines at that connection and plug/clamp the cut hoses? Or even put a cap over the barbed connectors on that hub? I would think removing the cowling would reveal that connection, and the hoses could be removed/plugged very easily. I wouldn't bother paying a mechanic to do this.
That is an interesting set-up to say the least and definitely different than the 2nd generation. Are the heater inlet/outlet lines actually connected inside that "hub". I would think that flow through the heather core must have a direction or the coolant would just pulsate rather than flow unless there's some valve mechanism inside?

·
Registered
2006 MO
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'll ask my mechanic to go ahead, i'll just ask him to see what he's proposing to see if he's adding a hose or clamping it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts