Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 nissan murano sl 176000 miles and I was wondering if anyone has tried at 70% distilled water to 30% antifreeze or 80% distilled water to 20% antifreeze. I was just wondering cause I noticed on these hot days my engine and cvt get hotter than usual which is expected due to outside temprature and air conditioning being on and I was wondering will I get better engine and transmission cooling effects switching to one of these ratios?

·
Super Moderator
1,596 Posts
Nope. Stick with the 50/50.

At your milage, you'd be best served to do a full drain and refill. Antifreeze past its life can lead to internal corrosion, usually where the head gaskets meet the block and heads and at radiator core openings. Blown head gasket and overheating. Antifreeze has lubricants, for the water pump, that also breakdown.

I would not do a flush at that milage. If you have corrosion showing in the radiator or inside the metal hose fittings, it's best to only remove the radiator for cleaning or replacement. Internal engine corrosion will not affect overall engine temps, except if the corrosion is partially blocking a water passage. This usually happens in the heads, creating a hot spot, which can lead to issues down the road.

Flushing could possibly loosen and remove corrosion that's preventing an opening in the system, like at the headgasket water jacket pass thru. New antifreeze will stop the corrosion from further development and hold it in place.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have a 2004 nissan murano sl 176000 miles and I was wondering if anyone has tried at 70% distilled water to 30% antifreeze or 80% distilled water to 20% antifreeze. I was just wondering cause I noticed on these hot days my engine and cvt get hotter than usual which is expected due to outside temprature and air conditioning being on and I was wondering will I get better engine and transmission cooling effects switching to one of these ratios?
Yes, water can retain/dissipate more heat than antifreeze. However, antifreeze also raises the boiling point, VERY important... Plus, if you live in a cold area and forget to change the ratio back to 50/50 your cooling system may freeze...

Lowering the percentage of antifreeze reduces the margin at which the water will boil for little benefit IMO...

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

However, the radiator cap pressurizes the cooling system and raises the boiling point:

Font Electric blue Display device Screenshot Number

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, water can retain/dissipate more heat than antifreeze. However, antifreeze also raises the boiling point, VERY important... Plus, if you live in a cold area and forget to change the ratio back to 50/50 your cooling system may freeze...

Lowering the percentage of antifreeze reduces the margin at which the water will boil for little benefit IMO...

View attachment 55360

However, the radiator cap pressurizes the cooling system and raises the boiling point:

View attachment 55361
Why does adding more distilled water lower the boiling point? And why does adding more antifreeze raise the boiling point? I'm interested to know

·
Administrator
9,657 Posts
This is one of those times when the classic American assumption "if some is good, more is better" does not apply.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Why does adding more distilled water lower the boiling point? And why does adding more antifreeze raise the boiling point? I'm interested to know
Distilled water is water, and has the same boiling/freezing points. Water boils at 212 degrees. You should always use distilled water due to it being clean of impurities. Tap water has stuff that can lead to deposits, especially in some parts of the country...

The boiling point of glycol is much higher than water:

Font Rectangle Circle Number Logo

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Distilled water is water, and has the same boiling/freezing points. Water boils at 212 degrees. You should always use distilled water due to it being clean of impurities. Tap water has stuff that can lead to deposits, especially in some parts of the country...

The boiling point of glycol is much higher than water:

View attachment 55362

View attachment 55364
Thank you for the information I will keep my mixture and maybe add something like royal purple ice or amsoil coolant booster. Anything on those have you tried those before.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Thank you for the information I will keep my mixture and maybe add something like royal purple ice or amsoil coolant booster. Anything on those have you tried those before.
I'd stick to the recommended coolant ratio.

If you are concerned with your CVT's temperature, consider adding a transmission cooler. A transmission cooler will be far more effective for lowering the temperature...

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I took a glance at those two products. They claim to lower engine temperature ~25-30 degrees... I'd need to spend more time to understand how... They are reputable companies, but something sounds a bit too good to be true...

·
Premium Member
Oct 2010 Ti Australian Model (Manufactured Japan)
167 Posts
Perhaps you should check your radiator cap for correct function too (I don't know how that is done except for a damaged rubber and fill neck condition, the effectiveness of the spring ???), and/or buy a new radiator cap and see if the temps show improvement.
Cheers

·
Registered
246 Posts
Actually in the old war days Merlin aircraft engines were running a 70/30 water, glycol mix, for better cooling than the original 100% Glycol they first used. It gets very cold at 30,000 plus feet.
The pressure was 15 psi, that is how boiling is also controlled. In the end though use what the manual says to use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perhaps you should check your radiator cap for correct function too (I don't know how that is done except for a damaged rubber and fill neck condition, the effectiveness of the spring ???), and/or buy a new radiator cap and see if the temps show improvement.
Cheers
how often do
Cheers
I'm curious how much does evaluation effect the radiator and pressure

·
Registered
1 Posts
The mixing ratio of water and antifreeze should lie between 60:40 and 50:50. This usually corresponds to antifreeze protection from -25°C to -40°C. The minimal mixing ratio should be 70:30 and the maximal 40:60. Further increasing the proportion of antifreeze (e.g. 30:70) does not lower the freezing point any further.

50:50

Mixtures with a ratio of 50:50 work almost in every climate. In climates where temperatures drop below 0℃ for a longer period, mixtures closer to 60% antifreeze and 40% water are better suited to keep coolant from freezing.

How is coolant ratio calculated?

Image result for coolant ratio

To find out how much you need to add, multiply the amount of coolant your vehicle can hold by the percentage of concentrated coolant you want to achieve. For example, if you want the coolant system to contain 50 percent of concentrated coolant, then you would multiply 0.50 x 12 to get an amount of 6 liters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The mixing ratio of water and antifreeze should lie between 60:40 and 50:50. This usually corresponds to antifreeze protection from -25°C to -40°C. The minimal mixing ratio should be 70:30 and the maximal 40:60. Further increasing the proportion of antifreeze (e.g. 30:70) does not lower the freezing point any further.

50:50

Mixtures with a ratio of 50:50 work almost in every climate. In climates where temperatures drop below 0℃ for a longer period, mixtures closer to 60% antifreeze and 40% water are better suited to keep coolant from freezing.

How is coolant ratio calculated?

Image result for coolant ratio

To find out how much you need to add, multiply the amount of coolant your vehicle can hold by the percentage of concentrated coolant you want to achieve. For example, if you want the coolant system to contain 50 percent of concentrated coolant, then you would multiply 0.50 x 12 to get an amount of 6 liters.
Wow thank you sir this information is very helpful especially the math and numbers part I will always remember this

·
Registered
276 Posts

I live in one of the coldest areas of Canada. Often gets -30C / -22F for days on end. Have used 50/50 water/antifreeze for over 50 years. The "coolant" never freezes. Good grief it's not rocket surgery.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I'm curious how much does evaluation effect the radiator and pressure
Assuming you meant elevation, every 550 ft increase in altitude lowers the boiling point of water by about 1 degree F.

I would circle back to your first post where you stated that your engine and transmission were running "hotter than usual"--what did you mean by that? The normal operating temperature of the engine coolant and transmission fluid is a range and not a specific number so if the engine is not overheating and CVT fluid temperatures are not frequently reading high (e.g. via monitoring by a scan tool or app like CVTz50), there's nothing really to be concerned about.

Nevertheless, since you have a 1st generation Murano I would suggest periodic preventative maintenance of the CVT (e.g. fluid changes).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts