Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I used my cooled seats for the first time, temp was only about 75, but wanted to try them out.

I really wasn't impressed or happy...On high it didn't cool much at all, nevermind that it wasn't even hot outside.

Are everyone's seats the same lackluster cooling as mine, or hopefully, do I need to bring it to the dealer to look at? I couldn't wait to try em either...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have used mine hundreds of time over the past year...and most recently last week. On low...I barely notice anything. On high...definitely get an impressive cooling effect after about 5 min. Works the same at 75...or 105 degrees outside for me. I had the same system in my 2012 Maxima...and it worked the same too.

One thing folks talked about in the Maxima forums about those seats is that either the filter can get dirty (which shouldn't be bad yet) or some of the duct work connections in the seat can come undone...providing less than efficient cooling or heating.

Does your heating work fine on the same seat and settings?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heated seats work great...Not a complaint on that side at all...After having the cooled on for about 30 min I could barely feel it and only in lumbar and butt...

I will try the passenger side today to see if any diff as well

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Passenger side was so much cooler when I tested that side today...I need to bring it in so the dealer can look at it

·
Registered
117 Posts
Typically these seated are referred to as ventilated seats. They do not actually cool, but they extract the air from the seat area. By extracting the air, they remove the moisture between body and seat and create a cooling effect.

At least that is how it works on p-cars. Once you know this, you may be able to reset your expectations and enjoy your ventilated seats

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These are ventilated seats . . . It's not like you're going to have an A/C unit behind your back & butt! Geesh!

Again, when using it doesn't do much, and particularly after the pass side worked much better, maybe your fine with broken features in your MO that others plan to use half the year, but I have more respect than that for my money spent...Off to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer said they were both in spec, he did remove a piece of debris from the drivers side, but didn't expect that wa causing an issue, so will try it again when it's not 40 degrees out and either way it will help in the dead of summer/when traveling longer distances dressed up for work (hopefully keeping my back cooler/back of my dress shirt less destroyed before I arrive...lol)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Murano seats are more than just ventilated, they use a solid state heat pump (aka thermoelectric) to heat or cool the seat. Thermoelectrics can not swing the temperature very far, so they are very dependent on cabin air temperature. They will not heat well in a cold car, or cool well in a hot car.

Try using the drivers side seat warmer while you are wearing shorts, you will feel cold air blowing on your right leg.

I've also find the seat cools more effectively if I shift position, or lean forward a bit to allow air flow.

More info: http://www.marlow.com/industries/automotive/seat-heating-cooling.html

-james

·
Registered
1 Posts
platinum climate-controlled seats

User's manual leads me to believe the control for the climate-controlled seats must be turned off when the vehicle is not in use. Is this true, or does the seat heating/cooling automatically disengage when the vehicle is turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
User's manual leads me to believe the control for the climate-controlled seats must be turned off when the vehicle is not in use. Is this true, or does the seat heating/cooling automatically disengage when the vehicle is turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

you are correct, that is what the manual says

"When the vehicle's interior is warmed or cooled, or before you leave the vehicle, be sure to turn the control knob to the Off (center) position."

I don't do this, especially if I have day after day of either hot weather and or cold weather, the only time I have it in the Off position is if it's not needed as the temperature is comfortable and no added heating or cooling is needed.

What are the effects, I don't know, but so far, nothing has gone wrong on my vehicle....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have not noticed a difference if the seat temp control is left on or not. Summer time is more beneficial with the light weight clothes versus the winter.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think they are noisy.
And uneven. I just sat in a friend's 2018 Ram and his heated seat and cooled seats appear to work evenly in the sense that anywhere you put your hand on the seat you feel the heat or cool. I find in the Murano it's like there is a thin pipe that runs along the back and thighs and air only comes out of there. So you can feel the heat in one spot but just 2 inches over it's gone. Nissan definitely didn't do a good job in this department. Then again... heated and cooled seats are a very new technology. So it will take some time to figure it out (sarcasm).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts