Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ive never had heated/cooled seats before the Murano. So its still a bit of a novelty to me, and I didnt really know what to expect. But it did indeed cool and heat. Its not super aggressive, but it works well enough that it keeps the leather from feeling too hot, and warms up my back well enough that I can use it to relieve my sore back on the drive home from work. Could it be better? Yeah, probably.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does anyone have a drawling of how the seat is put together or how the cooling works? I'm thinking it probly seems cooler when running the AC because the internal temp of the car is cooler and the fans in the seat are just blowing the air that is in the car. Not directly from the AC it self. I think you can really notice the seats when its hot out. If its colder out you really cannot notice them that much. Low and Med settings are useless. I always put mine on high cause that's the only one you can really feel. Why bother making a low and med option if it barely does anything? The only reason I bought a platinum was because of the cooled seats.

·
Registered
398 Posts
They do not work anywhere near as well as any other car I've owned or sat in. I can honestly say these are the worst heated/ventilated seats I've owned...... just my opinion, not looking to offend anyone. Im not the type of person to defend my purchase at all costs. I say it the way it is.... Just for all the above posts saying they dont feel much in terms of cooling or heating...

They are loud. They dont have an even distribution. The mild and medium setting is useless. You have to be careful to not leave them on.

I've never experienced that in other cars.

·
Registered
66 Posts
User's manual leads me to believe the control for the climate-controlled seats must be turned off when the vehicle is not in use. Is this true, or does the seat heating/cooling automatically disengage when the vehicle is turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
They do turn off when the car is turned off.
We have left ours on before and nothing bad happened, so "must be turned off" sounds a little extreme.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are supposed to be air filters for the seats somewhere, that's why I was asking if anyone had a diagram of how the seat is put together? It should show the fan locations etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 2016 Platinum seats work fine using heat or cool. The seat cooling feature is set to on and I remote start it, its nice getting into cool car on a real hot day! One thing I did notice is that while my wife's 2017.5 SV doesn't have cool seats, hers are MUCH MORE comfortable then mine. :(

·
Registered
398 Posts
The seats are heated or cooled using the Peltier effect. Check out this site to explain how the heated and cooled seats work. You're welcome!

https://www.oemcarandtruckseats.com/blogs/knowledge-base/how-air-conditioned-car-truck-seats-work-the-basics
I don't think this is true for the Murano, since the cooling blows air and the heating gets hot with no air.
Now, I am very curious on how these work.
I always assumed the air was somehow connected to the AC air, since the temp. of the air coming out of the seats feels to be directly related to the temp. of the air coming out of the vents.
I was under the impression that both the cold and heat is air based?

I can hear the air blowing when I have either option set.

Some other cars have cooling via air and heating via electric coils, but Murano is not the case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They say the seats have air filters also. Never have been able to locate.
I believe it's similar to the maxima here. Reaching down, I can feel them and get them cleaner, my used had a considerable amount of dust bunnies come off. I was never successful in taking them off.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Maybe there is a difference in years or trim level.
I have a 2016 platinum and the fan does not run to heat the seats.
Heating and cooling of Nissan's seats uses the Peltier effect, which requires a fan (Air movement.) to function.

Each seat has it's own fan, down under the seat. Have your car in ACC with everything off and then turn the seat on high. You can plainly hear the fan running.

Have a good day.

PS Also, under each front seat is an air duct to send heat/cooling to the back seat floor area. These ducts blow air whenever the Climate Control system is on, regardless of settings, which I believe helps with the front seats heating/cooling. The Peltier effect only has about a 40 degree ambient air temp difference. Having pre-heated/cooled air makes them more efficient.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My wife’s ‘16 plat burned up the driver’s seat heat/cool and had to be repaired under warranty. Really looking forward to constantly repairing this junk on her car. Mine has no options and has hope.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My wife’s ‘16 plat burned up the driver’s seat heat/cool and had to be repaired under warranty. Really looking forward to constantly repairing this junk on her car. Mine has no options and has hope.
I had to get mine replaced under warranty.

This thing is gonna be a money pit. As soon as it's off warranty im trading it on for a non Nissan. My first and last Nissan...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have also AC seats in Lincoln MKS, as well as in my Murano '18. I'd say they both appear to me to work the same.

Even though I live in S. Florida, I rarely use the feature. I find it unpleasant as a sensation, like I peed my pants. On long rides I might turn it up one notch to fight any sweating.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"...they are very dependent on cabin air temperature." In other words, the seat cooling function works optimally when the A/C is on. Thanks for clarifying that jhillyerd (post #14).

·
Registered
726 Posts
"...they are very dependent on cabin air temperature." In other words, the seat cooling function works optimally when the A/C is on. Thanks for clarifying that jhillyerd (post #14).
Agreed, mine work better with AC on, but overall they work great for ventilated seats.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts