Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Murano
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Murano. The cooling fans will not come on. Does anyone know what could cause this? Thanks in advance for your time

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Is your temp gauge going up? Overheating? What is your ambient temp? If you turn on the AC, fans should run. Reason for it not running if its busted would be the motor burn out. You can test that by disconnecting the wiring on the fan and connecting it to your battery directly. If it does not spin its the motor. You can just change the motor or the entire fan assembly. If the fan spins, btw, there are 2 speeds on those fans (low/high), Issue could be the the fan relay in the fuse box, Or the temp sensor has failed, And a few other possibles. More troubleshooting required with these.

·
Super Moderator
8,209 Posts
This may be too basic a note, but remember that fans only run when needed, so they're not on all the time. You can expect them to come on when the car is sitting idling, or in stop and go traffic where air flow through the radiator is limited.

Nitely's questions about temp gauge are well put. If you do indeed have fans never coming on, most likely cause is usually a fuse or relay. Fan motors fail less often than fuses or relays fail. I'd check them first. The owner's manual should list fuses and their locations.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Murano
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your temp gauge going up? Overheating? What is your ambient temp? If you turn on the AC, fans should run. Reason for it not running if its busted would be the motor burn out. You can test that by disconnecting the wiring on the fan and connecting it to your battery directly. If it does not spin its the motor. You can just change the motor or the entire fan assembly. If the fan spins, btw, there are 2 speeds on those fans (low/high), Issue could be the the fan relay in the fuse box, Or the temp sensor has failed, And a few other possibles. More troubleshooting required with these.
It has overheated once and blown off the bottom radiator hose. Almost lost it. I let it idle for like 20-30 minutes. No fans at all. It just starts to over heat.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Never let your temp go up to max. You will damage your engine.

Assuming you have fixed the radiator hose and changed or refilled your coolant to proper level, check the above mentioned things. Relay, and fans. Easy to do. If you find any of those bad, replace. Then test drive. Update us what you find.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like whatever is supposed to engage the relay (while not using the ac) is not working correctly. I agree it could be temp sensor or any part of the circuit before the relay.

·
Super Moderator
8,209 Posts
Not a terribly complex problem. If the fan comes on when the AC is on, you know that it can get power through that circuit and the fans work.

Look at the wiring diagram for the parts in the circuit before the relay - and it's one of them. Most likely a temp sensor.

Wiring diagrams in repair manuals are available online at Nicoclub.com, dig around and you'll find them. Alternative: let a mechanic find it for you.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes the cooling fans will come on when the AC is on only.
You can find the location of the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor in pp-93-94 of the"Engine Control System" file in the service manual that the other posters linked. While the engine is idling with the A/C off, disconnect it and see if the cooling fans start up on high. If they do, replace the sensor.

BTW...through all this, you never stated if the check engine light is/was on or is you had the ECM scanned for trouble codes.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Murano
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No we have not had any codes read yet. Can’t right now due to Corona virus. The fans run as long as the AC runs. Thanks for all the info. It has helped greatly.

·
Super Moderator
8,209 Posts
No we have not had any codes read yet. Can’t right now due to Corona virus. The fans run as long as the AC runs. Thanks for all the info. It has helped greatly.
Please let us know the results and the solution when it is identified. Too many threads are never finished when the problem is resolved. Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Murano
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are still working on the fan problem. My husband only has so much time he can work on my truck. Thank you to each and everyone who took time and text a reply to me. Be well and blessed.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Murano
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have a new question guys. We used an OBD and got codes P1148 & P1168. These codes say “closed loop control fault” what does this mean? Thank you. I will start a new blog.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So closed loop is a condition the control system enters in a period of time after engine starts and warms up. As long as the coolant temperature reach a set temperature and the O2 sensor reach a set temperature, then the pcm will go into closed loop condition. If one or neither of these sensors reach their preset temp or condition, then the pcm will not enter closed loop where it adjust the air/fuel ratio to more efficiently run the engine as you drive. When you initially start the car you are running the engine of a preprogrammed default air/fuel ratio and this is called open loop. As far as the control fault aspect this could be a sensor or part of the closed loop control bus is faulty or not working correctly. Could be a sensor or ground fault for a module or any number of things. Basically the bus system runs back and forth from sensor to module looking for information or range of voltages that may not be present on a sensor or module and restricting the system from entering closed loop conditions. Hope that makes sense as I dont claim to know a whole lot about this but understand the basics a bit. I'm sure someone else will add more comprehensive advice for this particular fault code your experiencing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just looked up p1148. Says it's about the O2 sensor 1 bank 1. I believe that is an upstream 02 sensor coming from the engine exhaust and before the catalytic converter.the p1168 is for O2 sensor 1 bank 2 which the other upstream O2 sensor before the catalytic converter. I believe these are sometime located directly on the exhaust manifolds. This could be a bad sensor, a bad harness that's shorting or faulty and/or a bad electrical connection to the sensor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts