Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They 'would be' an everyday tire.

I'm headed to the local tire shop today to get a plug for my front passenger tire... it's got a nail in it. I'm sure they are going to say it needs to be replaced. If they say that I want to be able to come back and tell them what kind of aftermarket tire I want put on.

We'll see...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Looks like a good tire, although Cooper is not a widely supported brand around where I live (its certainly not a big name like BFG, Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop, Yokohama, Pirelli, or Bridgestone).

That said, one of the tires a lot of forum members are itching to try out are the Yokohama Geolander HTS G052. Tirerack has more info on this.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I usually tend to keep away from makes like Cooper, President, General, Uniroyal, Marshall, Kelly, Firestone, Motomaster and alikes unless it is for resale. Although Cooper is maybe a small notch over the rest in terms of quality, IMO it is not in the Pirelli, Michelin, Yokohama, etc... league.

·
5,268 Posts
Try this link tires

I will most likely go with Kumho 255/55 - 18. It is almost perfect replacement for the OEM tires. I have 25k miles and do not think tires will last more than additional 3k.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That Cooper Zeon looks like a nice tire...should be good in snow...might be a tad on the noisy side...Cooper makes a good, high value tire...my son has burned through a set of Cooper Cobras, a Z rated tire, on his Regal GS(highly modified eg speed govenor programed out of thr ECM)....personaly been running Yokohama, G052's (265 x 60) for 9 months...highly recommend them...

·
5,268 Posts
senza,

why did you go with 265/60. 255/55 seems closer to the OEM (the tire outside diameter is virtualy the same).

I have looked at Yokos as well. As I will have to make decision in the next 3 months or less I am very interested in hearing how different tires perform. Could you elaborate more on the Yokos?

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tire shop found a nice little drywall screw in the tread. They pulled it out, cleaned it and patched it up from the inside... all better.

Now I can take my time and picking out my next tire set.

Thanks for the great replys to my post...

'Best Murano forum on the web'

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Kris said:
I have 25k miles and do not think tires will last more than additional 3k. [/B]
Wow you must really be hard on your tires... I have 50K KM and lots of tread left on all the tires

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Isn't a mile equal to ~2.5km? or is that lbs to kg? I know its inches to cm..

In any case, I was going to post yesterday how the VDC saved my can on the way to work. It was raining, I took an exit with a very sharp turn way too quickly, and the rear just let go. I mean, no doubt it just came right out from under me right away. Then the front let go and it was out of my hands. Suddenly WHAM! I could feel the front left and both rear brakes apply and stopped the skid immediately. The rear only rotated around 5 degrees or so before the front let go and the VDC kicked in. I had to negotiate an S-turn so I didn't notice if the VDC light was blinking on the dash. That little piece of code just saved me thousands in damages.

Looking at my treads, they look fine, but the fronts have been chirping on moderate starts for a couple months now, and (as I've said here before) I have no intention of going through the winter on these tires.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tire Presure & Allignment

I've noticed that tire pressure and mis-allignment can really effect how these GYs wear. I had to replace 1 tires already this summer due to the front end being mis-alligned.

Do what you got to do to keep the tire pressure even and the wheels aligned straight.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Kris - I like the look of a "plus size" tire...more muscular/sporty...also rationalize replacing stock tire with larger one based on increased safety and better handling...compared to the stock Goodyears, the 265 x 60 is .49 " taller and 1.18 " wider....speedometer reads 2% low...looked at the Yokohamas as they were rated by several tire forums as being excellent in snow(probably not a factor for you)...they ride and handle great on the MO....quiet...wearing well with 21,000 kms on them....one slight annoyance: the wider tire does throw up more dirt/debris on the side of the vehicle...need a slightly wider mud guard....

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
EasternPA said:
Isn't a mile equal to ~2.5km? or is that lbs to kg? I know its inches to cm..

In any case, I was going to post yesterday how the VDC saved my can on the way to work. It was raining, I took an exit with a very sharp turn way too quickly, and the rear just let go. I mean, no doubt it just came right out from under me right away. Then the front let go and it was out of my hands. Suddenly WHAM! I could feel the front left and both rear brakes apply and stopped the skid immediately. The rear only rotated around 5 degrees or so before the front let go and the VDC kicked in. I had to negotiate an S-turn so I didn't notice if the VDC light was blinking on the dash. That little piece of code just saved me thousands in damages.

Looking at my treads, they look fine, but the fronts have been chirping on moderate starts for a couple months now, and (as I've said here before) I have no intention of going through the winter on these tires.

1 mile = 1.6km
1kg = 2.2lbs

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
senza said:
Kris - I like the look of a "plus size" tire...more muscular/sporty...also rationalize replacing stock tire with larger one based on increased safety and better handling...compared to the stock Goodyears, the 265 x 60 is .49 " taller and 1.18 " wider....speedometer reads 2% low...looked at the Yokohamas as they were rated by several tire forums as being excellent in snow(probably not a factor for you)...they ride and handle great on the MO....quiet...wearing well with 21,000 kms on them....one slight annoyance: the wider tire does throw up more dirt/debris on the side of the vehicle...need a slightly wider mud guard....
I believe the ideal plus zero size on the Murano is 255/60/18.

Senza - generally a wider tire is preferred for better dry traction, but a taller sidewall translates to decreased handling due to increase tire sidewall rollover during cornering. However, I suspect the Yokos are constructed about 10x better than the Goodyears (can the US build anything that is automotively competitive?) and have stiffer sidewalls which probably compensate for slightly higher sidewall.

·
5,268 Posts
Thanks Senza,

originally I was looking at Kumho 265/60 - 18 (same size as my FX). The price is great - $400 four tires fitted! But now I am leaning towards 255/55 - 18 even though price is higher. And probably Yokohamas.

I had a second look at my GDY - almost 25K miles, roated 4th time 4 days ago and I am not pleased. I think they will last till 30K. Maybe...............they are noisy and not very compfortable. I will definitely go for something else. My choices are as above.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
:2: The Kumho tire has been proven to be the best tire so far for the Murano by customers at our dealer. I don't know if they're part of the forum but I've ordered replacement tires for the Mo's and most were the Kumho.:2:

·
5,268 Posts
csheen said:
:2: The Kumho tire has been proven to be the best tire so far for the Murano by customers at our dealer. I don't know if they're part of the forum but I've ordered replacement tires for the Mo's and most were the Kumho.:2:

What sizes? What price?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
The Goodyears on the MO are made in Japan. I'm NOT defending them. They are just an average OEM tire.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The latest Consumers Reports rated light truck tires. Not the same as the touring tires on the Murano, but some models stuck out - The Pirelli Scorpion STA was rated high for handling but not too great in the snow. The Yokohama Geolandar HTS G051 (the highway version) was rated quite low and had lousy snow traction. Now these were not the sport truck tires we've been discussing here, but I imagine the construction of these tires are representative of how tires of similar construction would perform.

Since the Pedestrian all season tires CR tested would probably have better snow traction than the sport truck tires we have been discussing here, I wonder how well the Pirelli, Yoko, or Kumhos would really perform in the snow. I am not pleased with how the stock Goodyears perform in the dry and rain, but I am horrified by how they perform in the snow (even with AWD). If an acceptable performance all season tires with decent snow traction cannot be found for the Murano, I may consider a dedicated winter tire when driving in the slippery stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts