Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to rotate and balance...........anybody know the correct torque for the factory rims?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, 80lb/ft is fine, easily achievable with a strong tug from a normal socket wrench. If you have a torque wrench, all the better. Make sure regardless of what you do, to retighten all the lugs after driving on it a few days. I always cringe when I see the tire shops use airwrenches to tighten the wheel lugs, I usually leap out onto the shop floor and ask them to use a hand torque wrench. It annoys them, but it saves from damaging my wheels and brakes.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Eric L. said:
As a general rule of thumb, 80lb/ft is fine, easily achievable with a strong tug from a normal socket wrench. If you have a torque wrench, all the better. Make sure regardless of what you do, to retighten all the lugs after driving on it a few days. I always cringe when I see the tire shops use airwrenches to tighten the wheel lugs, I usually leap out onto the shop floor and ask them to use a hand torque wrench. It annoys them, but it saves from damaging my wheels and brakes.

furthermore, tighten them is a cross-pattern, not a clockwise (or counter-clockwise) order... this ensures even pressure andd correct mounting....

just fyi (if you already know better)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
While we are at it posting our changing tires guide here. If you have wheel locks, tighten those last.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes--it's so important to use the correct torque. Case in point was with my old Acura. A paid a shop to install Eibach springs on it, and they tightened down the lug nuts with an air gun. For one, I bent the lug nut wrench trying to take them off the next time, and two it ended up warping my rotors in the process.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I've seen lug nuts that the air gun forced on when they were cross threaded.
I've seen lug nuts just twisted off.
I've seen rotors warped by air guns.

NOBODY puts lugs on my car with an airgun in my presence, and I try very hard to be present, because ALL of the above have happened to ME.

I DO allow them to use an airgun to remove lugs.

Homer

·
Registered
124 Posts
What's a good way to pry the cover to the lugs off the SE wheel to install locking lug nuts without scratching anything?

·
Registered
105 Posts
hfelknor said:
I've seen lug nuts that the air gun forced on when they were cross threaded.
I've seen lug nuts just twisted off.
I've seen rotors warped by air guns.

NOBODY puts lugs on my car with an airgun in my presence, and I try very hard to be present, because ALL of the above have happened to ME.

I DO allow them to use an airgun to remove lugs.

Homer
Dido here. I bought a Husky torque wrench at Home Depot for about $60. I just rotated my tires on my car and torqued them to about 85-90.

One other thing...tighten them in the criss-cross pattern, not clockwise or counter clockwise.

·
5,268 Posts
I bought my torque wrench at TireRack. Anyway, I have lifetime tire rotation and balancing service from Butler Tire - and they do not even have compressed air! They always use torque wrenches.....and I like it......the FX will go to them as well....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts