Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. A mechanic near me in Austin, TX quoted $889 to replace the lower control arms (both sides) and another $849 to replace the front passenger side cv axle. He said labor was 6-7 hours. Highway robbery?

·
Super Moderator
1,688 Posts
What was his breakdown of pricing for parts? His labor time is out of wack, unless he doesn't know what he's doing. This is a standard job on any front/AWD vehicle that any experienced mechanic should be able to do quicker than the time he's stating for labor.

I can tell you that he has to half remove the lower control arm to replace the cv axel. The ball joint of the lower control arm needs to be knocked out and the arm lowered to get the CV axel in and out. Then it's a matter of removing the two carrier bolts, bushings and bottom strut bolts.

From personal experience, the CV axel takes about 1-1/2 hours, including getting the car on and off the lift and removing and reinstalling the tire. Then it's just a matter of removing the brake assembly and rotor to give swing room to pull the hub assembly out to disengage the CV axel splines.

The lower control arm is quite literally 5 bolts, no longer than an hour on each side. So 2 hours and the car is already on the lift.

His labor should not be more than 4 hours. Plus, one side is for the lower control arm is already removed to replace the CV axel.

I'm sure someone here will chime in with the local rates in your area with more detail. I'm just winging it as a former mechanic, but this guy is over charging for the job described.

Good luck.

Have a good day

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Not sure what about the price for parts, but their labor is $120/hr. I like the guys but not enough to overpay by $300+. I may use your info to ask them to investigate to see if they can lower the price. Do mechanics like when people who know nothing ask them to lower the price because the Internet said so???

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hello. A mechanic near me in Austin, TX quoted $889 to replace the lower control arms (both sides) and another $849 to replace the front passenger side cv axle. He said labor was 6-7 hours. Highway robbery?
The labor is too high. It should be half that and there is some overlap between the jobs since having the control arm out will make it easier to replace the axle.

It would be helpful if there was a breakdown of parts & labor.

Below is what repairpal.com says--the CV axle estimate is insanely high. Nevertheless, get some quotes from other local shops to compare.

Product Map Font Screenshot Urban design

Product Map World Font Urban design

·
Registered
2010 Nissan Murano SL V6 AWD
1 Posts
Hi, I own a 2010 Nissan Murano AWD and had to replace the radiator, last summer and had to remove all the front parts, bumper, and grill, and still have a very tight space to remove the cooling radiator.
also had to replace the headlights and that was a job and 1/2, again I had to remove the front grill and bumper, there was no other way to remove the old headlights, everything is so tight in the front
Engine compartment, not talking about removing the Spark plugs, in order to remove the 3 on the back of the engine you have to remove the intake manifold, what a job that was. not talking that you can't remove the actual spark plugs unless you use a 14mm special spark plug tool. :mad: I heard bad rumors about replacing the CVT fluid in the Automatic Transmission, so I took a chance and replaced the CVT fluid, I guess I was lucky nothing happened, but I didn't touch the inner filter that's where I heard even more rumors. it is very important to use the right CVT fluid.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hi, I own a 2010 Nissan Murano AWD and had to replace the radiator, last summer and had to remove all the front parts, bumper, and grill, and still have a very tight space to remove the cooling radiator.
also had to replace the headlights and that was a job and 1/2, again I had to remove the front grill and bumper, there was no other way to remove the old headlights, everything is so tight in the front
Engine compartment, not talking about removing the Spark plugs, in order to remove the 3 on the back of the engine you have to remove the intake manifold, what a job that was. not talking that you can't remove the actual spark plugs unless you use a 14mm special spark plug tool. :mad: I heard bad rumors about replacing the CVT fluid in the Automatic Transmission, so I took a chance and replaced the CVT fluid, I guess I was lucky nothing happened, but I didn't touch the inner filter that's where I heard even more rumors. it is very important to use the right CVT fluid.
I think you wanted to post the above in the thread talking about what a PITA the Murano can be to work on: Can we talk about how the Murano is trash to work on...

If this is the case, ask the moderators to move your post accordingly.

·
Administrator
9,990 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's way too high. I just had my passenger side CV axle replaced (the boot was torn). It was done by a very good local mechanic who I trust and has done a lot of work on my Murano in the past. Total cost, parts+labor, was $240. He charges $100/hr. To be fair, this guy is very efficient. He replaced the alternator in 2.5 hrs, and many of you know, those are a bear to do because of all the disassembly one has to do in order to get it out.

·
Registered
2020 Murano "S" AWD
8 Posts
What was his breakdown of pricing for parts? His labor time is out of wack, unless he doesn't know what he's doing. This is a standard job on any front/AWD vehicle that any experienced mechanic should be able to do quicker than the time he's stating for labor. I can tell you that he has to half remove the lower control arm to replace the cv axel. The ball joint of the lower control arm needs to be knocked out and the arm lowered to get the CV axel in and out. Then it's a matter of removing the two carrier bolts, bushings and bottom strut bolts. From personal experience, the CV axel takes about 1-1/2 hours, including getting the car on and off the lift and removing and reinstalling the tire. Then it's just a matter of removing the brake assembly and rotor to give swing room to pull the hub assembly out to disengage the CV axel splines. The lower control arm is quite literally 5 bolts, no longer than an hour on each side. So 2 hours and the car is already on the lift. His labor should not be more than 4 hours. Plus, one side is for the lower control arm is already removed to replace the CV axel. I'm sure someone here will chime in with the local rates in your area with more detail. I'm just winging it as a former mechanic, but this guy is over charging for the job described. Good luck. Have a good day
I am seeing more and more with mechanics and plumbers that an hourly rate does not apply,but they charge by the job. I feel it is quite the ripoff as I tended to believe just home remodeling contractors do this.

·
Administrator
9,990 Posts
Many service professions such as auto repair have a "flat rate book" which lists work time for various kinds of work. That's essentially an average number of hours required to do the job. The default when you ask for an estimate is normally to use the flat rate number, and that's usually the resulting charge even if the tech involved does it faster - so their goal is to beat the flat rate time.

If experience tells a shop that a particular job is more difficult than the flat rate indicates, I wouldn't be surprised if they estimate more time. That's a different thing than a shop that simply doesn't want to do a job and therefore gives you a sky-high quote.

I've never heard of home remodeling contractors having a flat rate, as the construction of homes is highly variable and you never know what's inside a wall until you open it up.

Reactions: 2ndGenMaintainer
1 - 11 of 11 Posts