Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been smelling gear oil (no drops on floor) for awhile......brought it in to dealer who thought it was a seal problem.......upon closer inspection found it was a cracked transfer case.......can only hope the MO comes back with no extra nuts and bolts hanging around. Been reading some of the horror stories on the forum.......Wish me luck :(

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
All the transfer case does is tie in the rear wheels. Under normal driving consitions, you might not notice anything until the gears cook.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the same exact problem, but it was not a cracked transfer case. My car is at the dealer this week getting fixed - when I called the dealer yesterday all the service gal could tell me is that the tech replaced a seal between the engine and the transmission (she wasn't able to clarify if it was a rear main on the engine or the pilot shaft seal). Hopefully my Murano will be ready today and I hope to get more details on the problem.

Like you, I hope all is normal as they had to pull the engine and trans to replace this seal....

I posted pictures of the leak under the "failed CVT" thread.

Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
senza- nothing but a whiff of oil............

Dave N.--- my dealer originally thought it might be the rear main or transfer case seal as well.......hope you have better luck than me ;)
Pictures of your leak look awfully familiar......:(

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
A cracked transfer case is a symptom listed for driving on dry pavement with the AWD lock on. Do you have FWD or AWD?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Add a second case of transfer case replacement (I suspect that it's cracked). I posted the latest details here: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=39209#post39209

For the record, I've been very careful about making sure the AWD switch in the OFF position....so if it is cracked, there may be another cause besides the AWD switch being left on.

I hope this is the end of the engine removals....

Dave

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
One more reason I only got FWD. Less stuff to break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts