Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while driving, I noticed a crack at the top of my windshield. It's near where the rearview mirror mounts to the windshield. It's somewhat L-shaped, extended from the top of the windshield down about 2 inches and then curves an inch toward the driver side.

Looking at it from the outside, the crack looks like a hair but I can see a definite "divot" along the course of the crack. I remember driving on the highway several weeks ago and hearing a piece of gravel hit my windshield. It was really loud and scared me. I remember looking over the windshield later that day but not finding any damage.

We had freezing rain last weekend and I bet water got in to that divot and when it froze, it caused the crack.

I've done informal searching on the web regarding this and it seems inevitable that this will likely only get bigger. Any other thoughts? Anyone here had to replace a windshield yet?

·
Registered
203 Posts
My experience with a cracked windshield is, it will grow until it reaches the other end. Replacement is inevitable.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
IF you have State FArm and IF you have "Comprehensive" they will pay for a winshield REPAIR, which I believe is accomplished as Enforcer describes.
The advantage to you is, it does not count as an "incident" and State Farm picks up the Deductible.

Call your agent if you qualify. They will have a contract with one of the windshield guys.

If you don't have the SF insurance or coverage, there is at least one national company that repairs glass. They are called Super Glass Repair, I think, and are HQd in Orlando Florida. But they have stores all over.

Homer

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes, if you catch a dink/chip or crack quickly enough, you can stop the spread. But it can cross your entire windshield in a matter of hours, especially with temperature changes...

There are a LOT of on-site windshield repair guys. Even if your insurance doesn't cover it, they usually run $60 to $70 depending on the damage. I think if it is a crack larger than a dollar bill is long and wide, you can't repair it.

Satellite Auto Glass is one I've used before. They're good.. took care of a chip in the MO's window and stopped it from spidering out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Enforcer said:
Same thing happened to me in my jeep. I have heard that you can drill a small hole at the end of the crack and fill it with epoxy.
You can only do this if the crack hasn't reached an edge. If it has, your going to have to replace the entire window. Once it reaches the edge, there is enough flex that will allow the crack to grow around the epoxy and start in a different direction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts