Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there having problems with crank sensors failing? I've owned my 03 Murano SL for only two months and I'm on my third sensor. Both failures have occurred after driving on trips of 2/12 to 3 hours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first the engine started to skip while driving and then it stalled out. You'll know it when it happens.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
It is unlikely you will get 3 bad crank angle sensors in a row. I would check the wiring harness or connector as the source of your problem. Sounds like something is heating up and squeezing or rubbing up against the harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried to talk some sense into the service manager explaining that the problem is unlikely that I had 2 bad sensors in such a short period and to check the harness and connections, and the said the would but I think they told me that just to make me feel better. I happened to pull up a recall on 2003 Altima's that were experiencing the same problem. The recall is #03V455000, if anyone is interested. It's a pretty dangerous situation if it happens to you because your vehicle will just die on you no matter what speed your at. The web-site I found the recall on was Altima.net.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If you are fed up with having to replace sensor after sensor, I suggest you download the factory shop manual from nissantechinfo.com (i think thats the link, maybe there are some dashes in the url). A one day subscription is $20 and if you have broadband, you can download the FSM for the Murano in a snap. If you have some tools and a multimeter, you can probably diagnose the harness yourself, although from what I have read in the FSM, the Murano is almost entirely controlled diagnostically using Nissan's expensive Consult II scanner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting, sounds like their is a potentially big problem for owners other than me. I just got back from picking up my Murano and I mentioned to the service manager that I read about the recall on the Altimas, and he said not only is their a recall for them but Maximas and guess what 91 Muranos. According to him my VIN# was not part of it but he thinks it will become a bigger recall in the future. They told me that they put in an updated sensor but when I got home and looked at the reciept from the last time the sensor number is the same as the one they originally replaced. I really don't feel too comfortable with their solution to the problem, but all I can do is keep driving and hope it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Check into your local Lemon Laws for your state because you may be entitled to a new car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it happened again as I thought it would. Only problem is it happened in Massachusetts and I live in New York. The other problem is the dealer in Massachusetts will probably come up with the same solution and I'll break down getting it back from there. My dealer told me to call Nissan Northeast as far as the Lemon Law. So I guess that's my next step.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
NNA is whom to call; hope it works out for you.....

Nissan of North America = 1-800-NISSAN1 (or 1-800-647-7261)

document ALL that has happened, with dates, times, contacts, and remarks (go back and fill in any gaps as well) you're gonna need all the proof you can have (above and beyond the dealer's records)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much for the helpful information, I will post Nissan's response if and when I get one.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
masb69 said:
At first the engine started to skip while driving and then it stalled out. You'll know it when it happens.
I had this happen on 3 occasions. But the engine started fine afterwards. No SES light or DTCs.

Were you able to start the engine afterwards?

Did the SES light illuminate?

Was there a DTC?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was able to start the engine after it happened and it ran rough and kept skipping sometimes stalling again. The first and second time it happened I actually drove about 10 miles back to the dealer. The SES light only stayed on after the first time, not the second or third. I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by DTC. Did you take it to the dealer?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
DTC is diagnostic trouble code....

IF your service engine lights is on, most likely there will be DTC thrown by the ECU = engine control unit.

Keep us posted on this matter

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Yes, I had it to the dealer, twice. Here is what they did, which didn't help at all:

1. Reprogram new version of ECU. Re-learn Throttle Closed Position, Throttle Open Position, Idle Air Volume.

2. Re-learn Idle RPM. Wow.

I don't know what to do next, because without a DTC, I doubt they'll listen to me and change the sensor. On the other hand, it might be the harness on mine too, as it only seems to happen if it's snowing while I'm driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The last time i had a problem it happened out of state so my Murano was serviced at a different dealer. They replaced the one sensor that was bad and ran it and it stalled again. They then called the Nissan tech line and they told me that they told them that replacing one would not do it and that they had to replace all three sensors (one for each camshaft and one for the crankshaft) so they would all be synchronized with each other. I really don't know if it's the solution or not but I've drove about 1,000 miles since they fixed it. If yours only happens when it snows I don't think it's the same problem.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Out of curiousity, did it take long to replace all three? Just wondering how much of the engine has to be taken apart to change these.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All I can tell you is they were able to perform the work in one day, but I don't know how much of the engine they had to take apart to replace the sensors.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Ok, thanks. I'm going to try to take my Murano in while it's snowing out this week, see if they can find anything.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts