Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/11/30/crash.test/index.html

The Murano got a "good" rating, right up there with the following SUVs in a 40 mph crash test:

Lexus RX330
Infiniti FX
Cadillac SRX
Toyota 4Runner
Chrysler Pacifica
Honda Pilot
Mitsubishi Endeavor

Strangely enough, CNN reported this morning that the Murano received only a "marginal" rating in 5-mph crash tests (parking lot), saying that the bumpers did not protect the more expensive-to-repair-or-replace items like headlights and liftgates. The only SUV that got a "good" rating was the Pilot.

Here's the link to that article: http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/11/28/crash.tests/index.html

And stranger still... the picture there is definitely of a MO, but the caption calls it a Lexus?!

In that same test, the FX and the Caddy SRX got a "poor"!

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Unfortunatly I can attest to the "expensive nature" of the 5 mph test..

on the third day I had the car, someone drove right into the front (while I was sitting in it).. Hit the front left corner, and pushed the bumper corner right in. (No structural, only bumper cover, (and foam behind it) and the lights.. $1800.00 to fix.. .ouch.. thank god for insurance)

Doombringer said:
[BStrangely enough, CNN reported this morning that the Murano received only a "marginal" rating in 5-mph crash tests (parking lot), saying that the bumpers did not protect the more expensive-to-repair-or-replace items like headlights and liftgates. The only SUV that got a "good" rating was the Pilot.
[/B]

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I think the tests were designed to show two different things.
The 5 MPH test was designed to show how much money a badly designed bumper can cost you.
People don't care about that, in at least some cases.
In the case of the Murano, you can choose the Murano (Pure Sex) or the Pilot (Boring).
You get to choose whether you want a nice looking car whose bumper doen't do much, or a car like the Pilot which has a good bumper.
This is a liablity test. Obviously the Insurance companies think that a bumper should prevent big time damages in a fender bender.

The 40 MPH test OTOH is a test to see the efffects on the passengers in a crash.
This is a safety test.

We did good in the one that counts.
But we will pay higher insurance rates because of the 5 MPH test.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Glad to see the new generation of crossover vehicles have good crash scores. However if you click on the link for the Murano, Nissan made a few changes midway through the 2003/2004 model years. Models built after June 2003 have "structural changes to improve offset crash performance" and models built after September 2003 have modifications to the drivers floorpan area. I wonder how the older Muranos would have done in the same crash!

It was good to see though, that all the airbags deployed in the offset test, including the seat side and side curtains.

Grrr!!! Mine was manufactured in May 2003. Booo...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I saw the Dateline show on 40 mph front 1/4 crash tests last night and I couldn't help thinking that they wanted certain vehicles to win. The Honda Lexus and Infinity 35 all were unsatisfactory when tested due to late airbag deployment so they allowed the manufacturers to come in and tweak the programing retested and then gave these vehicles the high recommendation.

What crap ! These vehicles were being sold with unsafe airbag systems which would never would have been fixed if a test had not shown them deficient while vehicles which provided good protection actually got less exposure. While Honda and the other manufacturers now say they will recall all their vehicles and reprogram the airbags their vehicles seemed to get top billing. Why should manufactures go the extra distance to make sure safe vehicles roll off the assembly lines when shows like this will give them a second chance if they get caught and then congratulate them for be so responsible.

Watching the crashes I think the Murano was the vehicle I would like to have been in. It crumpled nicely and was the quietest vehicle after impact some of the others jumped all over the place after impact obviously expending energy that was not absorbed by the impact. That jumping around could jump you into the the path of more trouble or compound initial injuries.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Insurance Institute: IIHS

Here is the actual link from the testing facility: http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0323.htm#4

enjoy! what sucks is they made some changes to the MO since Sept '03 so if your vehicle is made before Sept '03 this "good" rating may not apply to us? Like me for instance, I bought mine in march of '03 so these changes made in Sept '03 obviously wont be in my MO which means there is a better chance of a more serious accident. Just wondering what u guys think?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm not sure that the "changes" are that significant to the overall results based on the NHTSA's test posted 9/2/2003. I'm assuming that the NHTSA's test was of an earlier build 2003 Murano because they originally posted the results/scores in May of 2003 and they haven't changed since then.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2503.html

Regardless, all the significant measurements from the NHTSA's test are among the average to the 5 best scores in mid-sized suv's. None of the scores were the among the 5 worst in any of the categories. Just compare with some of the GM products.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Re: Insurance Institute: IIHS

I think if it's possible Nissan should offer to modify older models for safety. But I doubt they will.

floaty98 said:
Here is the actual link from the testing facility: http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0323.htm#4

enjoy! what sucks is they made some changes to the MO since Sept '03 so if your vehicle is made before Sept '03 this "good" rating may not apply to us? Like me for instance, I bought mine in march of '03 so these changes made in Sept '03 obviously wont be in my MO which means there is a better chance of a more serious accident. Just wondering what u guys think?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here is a direct link to the site of the people who did the latest test on the Murano.

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midsuv.htm

It ranks very high.

And add to that good stability control on roll-over test and a marginal (verses mostly poor rated) 10 MPH bumper to poll crash test, and the Murano just about leads the pack. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts