Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Murano makes this loud, obnoxious crunching noise when it goes over uneven bumps. By uneven I mean like I'm driving over a speed bump but not straight on, so one wheel goes over before the other. Seems to be coming from the drivers side and is more pronounced when there is more travel in the suspension.

I had it at the stealership today and they said it needs a new subframe! They said the bushings are shot & its "metal on metal" noise that I'm hearing. I've done some searching on the Internet and can see that it seems to be possible to buy replacement bushings? Stealership claims that the whole subframe needs to be replaced at around $1,500 parts and labor and the bushings can't be replaced on their own.

Does this seem possible and legit? I've never heard of a car needing a whole new subframe just because of some worn bushings. This car has been a money pit and I'd like to repair it in the most economical manner at this point. Any feedback would be apprecaited!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sounds like something I have. I used to think that it was the suspension but figured it's not. Then I thought it was due to the lower control arms. I replaced several sets and the creaking comes back (always on the driver's side). Some days louder than others. I finally believe that I found the actual problem...

I do, to some degree, agree with the stealership. What I have noticed on my subframe (where the lower control arms sits), is that the piece of metal is split. This is just above the front bushing (just above the bushing that has the horizontal bolt running through it). The metal is split and I didn't find this till recently. I usually just ended up spraying down the whole area with some WD40 and usually the creaking went away. Now that I found the split metal, I add grease to it and still sometimes spray the area with WD40. It seems to work every time. I believe I found this long time problem but I'm not looking to fix it. I simply have a little bit of grease and WD40 in the car and apply it when needed. I say check the area as well. I would get it welded but I'm not looking to spend anything like that on this car. I don't mind applying the grease here and there to be honest. Anyways, I'll get a pic for you to show exactly what area in taking about. So is my issue the subframe.... yes, but I would not go off to replace it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Here is the area I mentioned. As you can tell, I have the split covered in grease, along with the bushing area...and these control arms were replaced this summer, so I'm positive the bushings are fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Stealership gave me a laundry list of other work it needs including control arms, one cv axle, cam shaft sensors, etc. for a grand total of $5,000. Many of these items were already replaced within the last 2 years. Even got the CVT replaced for free earlier this year. I think im just going to drive it into the ground at this point :(

Hard to believe a car like this only made it to 105,000 miles before it became cost prohibitive to maintain. I'm the original owner and haven't driven it hard, so it's clear to me that this car was not well designed.

·
Registered
847 Posts
...And to get your car to a PERFECT working condition, they are probably right on pointing out the $5000 worth of work, but by the time they get that work done, you'll need $5000 more on everything that breaks right after. Trust me, I don't like the dealerships either, because we know how they work. If I took my car in to the dealer, I'd probably have more than $5000 in work needed. I bet they would even point out things I maintenance myself and have recently replaced/changed in my garage....especially since the only thing my car has been to a dealership for, or any mechanic for that matter, was a new CVT under warranty. But at my current 186k miles, I don't see how a mechanic couldn't find any possible work that would be needed.

·
Registered
563 Posts
We call them "stealerships" for a reason! When my wife's POS minivan was on its last legs (at only 115,000 miles), the GM dealer tried to convince her it was "normal" to spend $5,000 PER YEAR on "preventative" and "curative" maintenance. Being no fool, my wife laughed in his face saying that she could do almost zero maintenance and then buy a new car every six years at that rate - so his figure clearly didn't even pass the laugh test. I agree with srT4URBO. Do what you need to keep your Murano running (and safe) then drive it into the ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
had the same quote from a dealership for the same issues plus engine mounts got it all done by local mechanic for 1500

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the worse case scenario if I don't replace this subframe? It's a really nasty crunching sound, literally like metal being crunched together, when hitting bumps on that side of the car. there are a few intersections around town where you turn whil going downhill into a "dip" in th road, the crunch sounds like something has broken and is clanging around. Stealer says its the sound of the subframe rubbing against other metal parts since the bushings are shot.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I wouldn't say that it's just the shot bushings but a possibly split frame...I also haven't had that many miles on the several control arms that I've replaced so I don't know for sure in your case. All your going to be doing is shaving down the metal more and more, most likely. For me, the split I have pictured has not gotten any worse, only the noise comes back here and there when it runs dry. Otherwise, I can't really complain once it's greased up. My bushings on the other hand are in great shape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Four years & lots of miles later it’s still making this horrible noise, but nothing has fallen off yet! Noise is still about the same but maybe a little more pronounced. God only knows what’s actually going on but I’ve decided to dump this hunk of crap in the new year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts