Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And so it begins... my wife and I headed out on our cross country trip yesterday. We drove 11 hours to Bloomington, IN. What a hideous little college town, but Janko's has the best steak either of us have ever eaten. EVER!! (and I'm open to suggestions on places to see & eat in Tulsa, Santa Fe, Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Durango, CO, Salina, KS, St Louis, and Pittsburgh.)

We finally got to hear some cicadas. I've heard them when I was a kid, but my wife never has. Near the Ohio/Indiana border, we heard what sounded like static/noise/snow through the windows at 70mph. We were talking to my sister in L.A. on the speakerphone, so my wife rolled the window down. The sound levels were absolutely stunning. It peaked for about 2 minutes, but went off-and-on for about 15. My sister heard a stat on NPR that a sound man measured the cicadas outside NPR's Washington, D.C. studios at 72db! And that's just standing in the doorway at the studio office -- not even walking INTO the woods!

At one rest stop, a soccer Mom stopped near my car to tell her teenage sons how much she loves my car, then asked me how much I like it. She went on to ask if I have AWD! It was pretty funny.

Oh, and big news! I finally got some numbers matching Edmunds!! When I was researching the car, Edmunds said the total range on a tank of gas is 512 miles. But even on Florida drives, I would get too nervous to go past 450 or so -- it was really on E. Yesterday, we hit so little traffic, that on our second tankful, the MPG went up over 22, and the miles driven so far plus the DTE added up to 510!!! I couldn't believe it! To put it in perspective, when we left the house that morning, my avg MPG (before resetting it for the trip) was 16.4 and with a full-full-full tank, DTE was 278. I've been setting the cruise at around 77 since the cops are working BIG TIME this Memorial Day Weekend. We're going through "high risk" tornado areas today (Bloomington, IN to Tulsa, OK) so I have to make sure I get some storm spotter ham freqs before we head out.

I wanted to take a picture of the trip odometer and the DTE, but that's alright. You get the picture. So I'll post this useless picture of what my car looks like after 760 miles, including 20 miles of cicadas. ;) Not to mention, some people haven't seen Deep Bordeaux yet. As the name implies, it looks like a red wine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Cool! You are right, not too many Muranos of that color!

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Pretty Mo.

Had a Z28 that color....sunsets were amazing for the color. Gold plating the badges would be niiiiize.
:)

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TORNADO!!

If you have been watching the news at all, you'd know that the nation's mid-section was ripped apart by tornados yesterday. Well, thank goodness I took the time to put my ham radio rig in the car before heading out on the trip. Here's the short version of the most significant part of the trip from Bloomington, IN to Tulsa, OK yesterday.

While driving southwest, just after passing a sign that read "Lebanon 7", we heard this on the radio:

"National Weather, this is K0AHE."
"This is National Weather, go ahead K0AHE."
"National Weather, we just received a spotter's report that the tornado is 9 miles northeast of Lebanon, heading to the northeast at 20mph."

That's 2 miles northeast of us. So we looked out the window and..

Attachments

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Holy cow!:eek:

Having never seen a tornado in real life I would have flipped out! Wow!

Glad you made it through that OK. Keep us up to date with the trip...I'm still thinking of a good place to go in Pittsburgh for a bite...what kind of food do you like?

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heading westward..

Sorry I didn't get to post Tulsa to Santa Fe.. the Hilton Santa Fe's IT guy took off for the weekend and didn't notice he left the wireless wide open until Tuesday morning. Too bad I let my wife clear out the 950 spams she received since Saturday. Come Tuesday morning, their wireless was resecured, and I'm not paying $10 for 30 minutes of wireless, sorry.

Texas was so doggone boring.. here's a view from a picnic area. You can see for M-I-L-E-S. I remember 65 mile views from atop the World Trade Center. The vistas you get in the southwest just blow that away.

Attachments

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imagine how nice life would be if this is where you got your gas on the way to work.. this was in New Mexico..

Attachments

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today we headed from Santa Fe to Phoenix... we took 40 to 17 at Flagstaff and headed South.. on I-40, we came across the Continental Divide. I didn't know this until today, but the CD is the dividing line at which all rain will either drain to the pacific (west side) or the atlantic (east side). I had to quickly shoot around a barricade and block a bunch of people's views to get this shot. Hey, anything for the forum!!! :)

Attachments

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And this is the absolutely beautiful view you get from the Scenic Overlook off Route 17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix. Up and down mountains pretty much all day. I had fun playing cat n mouse with a new Pontiac with 4 exhausts! Looks like Grand Prix or GTO. 70-95 mph up and down curvy mountainous roads just made my day. We had a blast. Bet he didn't think I could keep up ;)

Attachments

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, and Snow_Mo, I shouldn't have said Pittsburgh, sorry. We are stopping by to take a family friend out to dinner who lives there. I'm sure she has places that she would love to share with us. I appreciate you thinking of us, though! So don't bang your head against the wall just for little old us.

We saw our first sign on I-40 for Los Angeles, right near the I-17 intersection to head south to Phoenix. We were so happy, we could have cried! :10: It was 107 today in Sun City, outside Phoenix. No noticeable breakdowns in performance in the Mo. Even hitting 95+ up and down mountainous roads.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Me and my GF were also doing roadtrip from

maryland to midwest indiana last memorial weekend, visiting families and friends. Stopping in Ohio columbus and pittsburg.

1,765 miles in total. We were back home just this morning.

All i can say: driving in the murano was a blast!
We stopped sparingly, about only once every 250 miles at rest areas because the car drove comfortably and pulled strongly especially againts other slow suv travellers. :D
Power always available, thanks to the cvt.
GPS and XM made the trip even more enjoyable.

During the trip, here are the murano list i saw/passed/being passed: (i have it written down, literally)

2 glacier pearl in I70west
1 pweter in I68west
1 glacier pearl in US40
1 blue in I70W in ohio columbus area
1 blue in in I-465N (indianapolis)
1 sunlight copper in I-65N (indiana)
1 burgundy red in I-65S (indiana)
1 white in I65S (indiana)
1 glacier silver in I376E pittsburgh this morning
1 pewter in I76 East
1 pewter in I76 East turnpike
2 black in I70east
1 black in US32East MD today

Any one of you happens to bumped/passed me during last weekend trip?:p

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see the only burgundy (bordeaux) on the list was on 65 South in Indiana. I don't think we were ever on 65. We headed out 70 and then 465 South to Bloomington, IN on Sat evening if I recall correctly. I have tried to notice as many Muranos as I can, but there just aren't that many. Oh, I did see a Sunlit Copper in downtown Santa Fe on Monday a.m. Looked like a young couple and the wife seemed to get all excited to see another Murano... pointing excitedly at my car as they crossed the intersection in front of me.

We are off from Phoenix to Los Angeles today. Took a few minutes to get a nice car wash here in Sun City/Peoria before cruising into L.A. Now she's all nice and purty :12: now that the 2,400 mile bug museum is gone from the nose and windshield.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
awesome color. reminds me of that brickyard color on the 350z, but a lighter shade of it. ironically, im listening to red red wine by ub 40 right now too! :)

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, ChriSF, I really love the color, too. And ironically enough, while you were listening to Red Red Wine by UB40, we were listening to Red Red Wine by The Replacements!!

Having the MP3 collection in the car helped IMMENSELY on the xcountry drive. Each morning I would select the music for the day in the hotel room (basically by artist), put Winamp on random, and just let it play all day.

My wife agreed... its like having satellite radio that only plays music we like. No live news updates, though. Once I have the PC on board full-time, I would like to streamline the ability to download the latest npr update audio file via open wireless.

We're here in Sunny California until Sunday, then its off to Vegas. I'll try to post a pic by the beach. What xcountry trip would be complete without that, right? Staying in L.A., will be at a wedding in Pomona on Saturday. I'll have to run out to the car during the reception to watch the Belmont. Go Smarty!!

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should I get an oil change?

Do you guys think I should get an oil change while I'm out here (being 3,000 miles after my last one) or should I wait until I get home and get one done at my regular place? Do most/all Nissan dealers have an "Express Lube" facility whereby I can just pull up for an oil change without an appointment?

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Re: Should I get an oil change?

EasternPA said:
Do you guys think I should get an oil change while I'm out here (being 3,000 miles after my last one) or should I wait until I get home and get one done at my regular place? Do most/all Nissan dealers have an "Express Lube" facility whereby I can just pull up for an oil change without an appointment?
Since a good portion of those 3000 miles are highway miles, you might as wait until you get back. Just make sure you're checking the oil regularly to make sure it's not burning off at all...

~ Corin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Loving your journal and photos as I'm sitting in my office in Basking Ridge, NJ. It's an armchair vacation for me. More, more.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts