Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking in ebay at the items they sell for the Nissan Mariano and one of the items I've come across is the Drilled, Slotted Rotors with Zinc Coating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISS...ryZ33564QQssPageNameZWD6VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've read a few write ups and they all sound like someone trying to sell you the item ... so that brings me here, to see if anyone installed any version of slotted/drilled rotors and what you think of them. (X-Files slogan was "the truth is out there..." when it comes to the Murano, "the truth is at this site".

Also I'd like to know about that silver zinc coating that stops rust ... this sounds great for a Car Show cars, but on the street under normal use, how long does this coating last? a year? months? days? until they get wet?

To me all this sounds like complete CRAP.

If drilling some holes & slots gave you better breaking, don't you think cars would come with this already?

And the silver zinc coating... I don't think a zinc coating would have a chance against a break-pads heat & pressure...

And I love in their ad/sales pitch;
# All GRIPFORCE rotors are plated with premium silver zinc to prevent rotors from rusting. The zinc is electrically charged onto the rotor (military spec. method) in chemical tanks not spray painted on.

"premium silver zinc" is .08 cents a ton I'm guessing... :2: (edit: I just checked zinc, it jumped from a $1 a share (March06) to 1.6(May06)...)

Makes me wonder, does the spray-on last a few weeks? months? When I rotate my tires could I spray a coat on to stop the ugly rust showing on the rotors through my tire rims?

Please let me know what you think!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Margatenj-

The slots and holes assist in getting rid of any trapped gasses between the rotor and the pad during hard braking. They also help eliminate water caught between the pad and rotor.

The extra machining processes required for the holes and slots increase costs which is why you do not see drilled and slotted rotors on most cars. Plus the advantages are only realized during repeated hard braking.

From what I have read the zinc coating will wear off only where the disk pads sweep the rotor. However, the rest of the rotor will remain rust-free. Since the pad will keep the swept area clean, the entire rotor will be rust-free.

-njjoe

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have it on my 2004 MO for 7500 miles (I have bought it on Ebay). I think they are very good , i don't need to resurface it like OEM. Only one think i dislike, they are laud when you breaking hard. And I think that zinc coating is also good you can see it at the photo, there is a rust but only i couple places after winter (a lot of salt) 7000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Slotting and drilling also helps 'renew' the pad surface, which while nice at the track, totally cheesegraters your pads to death on the street. Plus the cracking as previously mentioned, and the extra cost...really pretty silly, don't bother, it's all bling.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by MightyMo Slotting and drilling also helps 'renew' the pad surface, which while nice at the track, totally cheesegraters your pads to death on the street. Plus the cracking as previously mentioned, and the extra cost...really pretty silly, don't bother, it's all bling.
Yes, everything you said I've found to be true with reading/searching other sites.

All I've been interested in was the zinc, no rust feature... going to search if I can get that coating on a set of normal rotors.... without paying $300 for a $50 item.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The coating, whether Zn or otherwise, will not have any affect on the swept surface itself. Think about it, this surface wears during use, albeit slowly, so whatever is anodized on there is going to rub off and the iron underneath will still rust. The coating will keep the unswept parts of the rotor in good shape though and to some that is a benefit.

If you google it, there are lots of great discussions out there that get at the complete silliniess that is cross-drilled rotors. I'll let you find that info for yourself if you care to. See if you can find a pic of a F1 or NASCAR wheelwell showing drilled rotors. In the meantime, here are just a few pics to leave you something to think about.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Now, I have 7500 miles on this rotors. I'm checking it regularly. I think that in normal use they are safe. After 7500 there is no cracks and there is no judder like on OEM. If will see cracks in the future I will change it immediately.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Margatenj said:

Yes, everything you said I've found to be true with reading/searching other sites.

All I've been interested in was the zinc, no rust feature... going to search if I can get that coating on a set of normal rotors.... without paying $300 for a $50 item.
Those rotors pictured have had a hard life and probably run metal to metal judging by the outer lip.
Mine were smooth, without grooves but had been very hot many times. Cracking is similiar.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"If you google it, there are lots of great discussions out there that get at the complete silliniess that is cross-drilled rotors. I'll let you find that info for yourself if you care to. See if you can find a pic of a F1 or NASCAR wheelwell showing drilled rotors. "

As a former part owner of a Busch series car*, I can assure you there are no drilled and slotted rotors on the NASCAR Busch or Winston/Nextel Cup cars.
(I cannot speak for the other NASCAR series, but I would doubt it)

They are however fitted with either EXTREMELY HEAVY DUTY Brembo or Wilwood brakes. (Just wanted to make sure that the brand Brembo, did not get a hickey out of this thread, as they are very fine brakes.)

I also was a "honorary crew member" of a Toyota Atlantic car (Built and Sponsored by Applied Communications), and I think they all used Brembo, NOT drilled or slotted.

People keep saying they are used in Racing.
Maybe so, but I have never found out what series they are talking about (Readily admit that there are a LOT of racing series.)

Homer

* My very good friend Tim Maloney was the principle owner. He is most well known in racing circles for winning the national modified championships several times with Jimmy Spencer at the wheel. Tim and I go back over 30 years in the racing biz.
Jimmy Spencer won several Bush and Winston cup races and is also well know for punching out Nascar Champion Kurt Bush after a disputed race.
Jimmy is still racing (trucks) and is a piece of work.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yep the cross drilling does cause problems with high temp applications.

I looked around and did find brembo selling them, but, they did advise that they would crack under severe use.
They advised slotted.
I found some slots for the Mo
Power Slots

Sure would like to see a write up on these from a long term user.

*EDIT*

I went out and read reviews:
Some raved, most booed. The only serious drivers said that they prefer high quality blank rotors with cooling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts