Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I'm trying to install some OEM crossbars on my own but the star-head screws that are already installed into the side rails are difficult to remove. I've tried hammering, soaking the screws in WD40 penetrant, everything besides heat. Two screws have already been stripped on accident. At this point, I doubt heat will even work. I'm at my wits end and need some help. I've went to a Nissan dealer (ridiculous quote is $1900 to remove side rails and screws then reinstall new side rails) and a body shop (quote is $200 to remove side rails and screws then reinstall original side rails). I have a warranty appointment with my go-to Nissan dealer on Friday to get a wind noise issue checked out, so I'm hoping they can get the bolts out.

Thoughts? Experience with removing seized (non-rusted) bolts from a car?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I can't really see the head clearly. Note some Torx heads require a Torx security bit (has a dimple in the center) to match the bump in the Torx head, otherwise the bit doesn't get a full grip in the head to remove it...

An impact driver or wrench will help greatly. I would tend towards trying the impact driver first, then an impact wrench if you need more torque to remove it.

If it's only the screw head that's stripped, maybe try using a Dremel too to cut a slot, then use an impact driver to remove.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Those are Torx heads for sure. Can't tell the size. Go to any hardware/tool store and get a set of Torx heads for a socket wrench.nUsing any other type of tool will result in what your finding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are Torx heads for sure. Can't tell the size. Go to any hardware/tool store and get a set of Torx heads for a socket wrench.nUsing any other type of tool will result in what your finding.
I used a star tool (generic torx) and that's what stripped them. The screws are seized because Nissan decided it would be a great idea to loctite the screws in there. My main concern is being able to remove these seized screws that are loctited in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't really see the head clearly. Note some Torx heads require a Torx security bit (has a dimple in the center) to match the bump in the Torx head, otherwise the bit doesn't get a full grip in the head to remove it...

An impact driver or wrench will help greatly. I would tend towards trying the impact driver first, then an impact wrench if you need more torque to remove it.

If it's only the screw head that's stripped, maybe try using a Dremel too to cut a slot, then use an impact driver to remove.
I bought this to help install my aftermarket hitch. Will this work for a torx head screw?

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll try 1 last time.
Go get proper TORX sockets, not "star tool (generic torx) " or anything else.
Would you use a srewdriver as a hammer?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I bought this to help install my aftermarket hitch. Will this work for a torx head screw?
How do you envision the tool in your screenshot working to remove a Torx head screw?

·
Super Moderator
8,753 Posts
No, but will this tool really help is the screw is seized?
The answer is NO. It will not help. There is no substitute for the correct item in this case.

The answer - for about the fourth time: go and get TORX bits at the hardware store. You need a set of them to do many different things, because cars have them in lots of odd places.

Got it: TORX bits.....?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success!!! I simply soaked the bolt areas in WD40 penetrant, used pliers for a good hold, yanked a couple of times, and twisted them right on out with pliers. I was gentle the first time around with applying the wd40 and using pliers, but not this time.

For the actual crossbars, loosely tighten all screws as you go. Only tighten firmly once all the screws are secure into their screw receiver slots.

Sharing this information for anyone else needing helpful rather than unhelpful information 😊😊😊

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sharing this information for anyone else needing helpful rather than unhelpful information 😊😊😊
Ridiculous. Obviously the supposed method was not the most efficient.
Using the right tool for the job is always the right thing to do.
Like the saying goes... you can lead a horse to water but.....

Totally done here.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Success!!! I simply soaked the bolt areas in WD40 penetrant, used pliers for a good hold, yanked a couple of times, and twisted them right on out with pliers. I was gentle the first time around with applying the wd40 and using pliers, but not this time.

For the actual crossbars, loosely tighten all screws as you go. Only tighten firmly once all the screws are secure into their screw receiver slots.

It's good to hear you had success in removing the stripped Torx head screws.

I can only hope you used the correct Torx bit to secure the screws for your new roof rack... Did you replace the stripped screws with screws with the same tensile strength rating?

For your safety and those behind you, ensure you used the correct screws torqued to the specified value, you don't want that rack to come off and ruin you day and those traveling behind you...

Reactions: Pilgrim
1 - 13 of 13 Posts