Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK now that Nissan finally has these crossbars out I was going to pickup a pair... I called my local dealer and they wanted $150.

For some reason I had it in my head that they were $100.... am I crazy? :bonk:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... I'm guess I am a little loopy. Must be all those inverted spins.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I also just got a pair, from experts who have done it, any pointers on installation, any regrets after and preceived usefullness of these bars.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can search on this site for pictures and installation tips. I just ordered mine today and from what I understand it is very easy to install. Unfortunately they do not have "unlimimted" position stops like some racks but I think it will work out just fine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is a very simple install. If you're doing it by yourself, i'd put a pad on the roof for protection. That let me rest the one side of the rack on the roof while I started the install bolts and shims on the other side. Another pair of hands would help, but not neccessary.

They are fixed in position using the existing holes in the racks. Check out the location of those holes NOW before you order and make sure you can live with this position. If you want more flexibility, aftermarket is the way to go (some pics in gallery).

One thing that sold me on Nissan racks were the fact that they were flush with the side rails when installed. This helped keep the side profile low.

This was the very first part I bought for the MO - along with the bumper guard. My dealer in Hawaii didn't even know these existed. I found them thanks to this forum. I ordered from Courtesy, very fast and professional service.

I have 2 car seats in the back full time and they are a hassle to take in and out. I put 2 full length rack pads on for protection and I've been hauling everything from kayaks, surfboards to folding tables and 2 x 4's. Helps prevent something nasty messing up your interior.

Great investment IMHO. MO_808

·
Registered
243 Posts
I put 2 full length rack pads on for protection and I've been hauling everything from kayaks, surfboards to folding tables and 2 x 4's. Helps prevent something nasty messing up your interior.

What are Rack pads ?? wheren did you get these from ?

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
They run the length of the rack. Something like this... Different sizes, colors, strap systems etc. Check these links out.

http://www.rackwarehouse.com/t556.html

http://www.rack-it.com/store/product.php?productid=78351&cat=267&page=1

Here are some specs from a similar pad: Fade proof 100% acrylic fabric willl not fade or deteriorate, even in direct sunlight, for five years. 3/4" thick foam and 1 1/8" inside diameter.
Split design allows for quick installation. Secures to rack with one velcro strap (mine has 3 on each pad) and two end ties. Perfect for Thule, Yakima, or any other small diameter bars. (I used this small diameter style because the distance between the factory crossbars and the roof is so minimal.) Full diameter pads would touch the roof and cause problems later - drying, cleaning roof etc.

I'll try and post some pics later. You can also search google: "rack pads"

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey 808 do you have a pic without the pads on so we can see how the profile looks? Thanks :)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm hoping to install my crossbars this week. I'll try to get some pictures for the board.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just installed my OEM crossbars today. Do yourselves a big favor and put a couple drops of WD40 into the receiving threads after taking the plastic plugs out. The first two bolts got a lot of cursing and a pair of channel locks to help them along before the lightbulb went off over my head. They look good and they also support things higher than the sunroof deflector (amazing actually). Once the WD40 went in, the bolts had no problems tightening down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
rack and pad

1 of 3 pics of the OEM crossbars - with (back) and with out (front) rack pads. The bars follow the curve of the roof so the pads actually help compensate for the bow - making for a flatter surface to load on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts