Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone! Has anybody else seen this?!?!? :confused:

So on two different occasions now I've had my Set light for my Cruise Control flash at me when I pushed my Cruise Control button on the steering wheel. The Cruise Control system will turn on and off normally...but...when it turns on the Set light always flashes. When the Cruise Control system is on and the Set light is flashing, I can't set a speed or anything. The MO drives normally and no other systems seem to be affected.

This issue seems to clear itself when I shut down the MO and restarted it.

The First Instance: 2 weeks ago I got on the highway after work and found the Cruise Control would not engage. I noticed the Set light was flashing. So at the next exit, I stopped at the stop light and cycled power to the MO. The Set light stopped flashing and the Cruise Control system worked normally.

The Second Instance: I hit the highway last week on my way to Santa Fe and got myself to my typical 70-75MPH cruising speed. I hit the Cruise Control button on the steering wheel and the Set light was flashing at me. So I flipped the transmission into Neutral, turned off the engine, turned the engine back on, and put the transmission back into Drive. I then hit the Cruise Control button again and no flashing Set light. The Cruise Control engaged appropriately and all was well.

I'm assuming that the brains of the Cruise Control system got into a funky state and needed to be reset. But...since this has happened twice on me already I'm starting to wonder if something will have to be replaced in the near future. I hope not! :(

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Warhammer-

According to the service manual that means either the engine coolant temperature is higher than normal (slow blink) or a malfunction in the cruise control system (fast blink).

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Njjoe! Reliable as usual...

Which section did you find that information?

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Warhammer said:
Thanks Njjoe! Reliable as usual...

Which section did you find that information?
EC - Engine Control

It is listed under ASCD (Automatic Speed Control device).

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
njjoe said:
Warhammer-

According to the service manual that means either the engine coolant temperature is higher than normal (slow blink) or a malfunction in the cruise control system (fast blink).

-njjoe
WTF? Leave it to Nissan to figure out that warning.

"Hmmmm.... What can we do to alert the driver if the temperature is too high?"

"Well, we could just flash the cruise control set light..."

"Hey, that makes sense! Yeah, let's do that! That should be obvious to EVERYONE!"

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
You learn something new everyday.

You might want to check your coolant level.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
So when my coolant temp gauge was sky high last summer but my cruise control light was not flashing, does that mean my gauge was wrong?

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
zebelkhan said:
So when my coolant temp gauge was sky high last summer but my cruise control light was not flashing, does that mean my gauge was wrong?
Probably not, it just meant it was hot, but not HOT HOT!

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
zebelkhan said:
Did you have the cruise control engaged? The CC light is only going to flash if the engine coolant is reading higher than desired AND the CC is engaged .

The CC light is not going to flash just because the engine temp is high.

It is common knowledge that if your engine begins to overheat while traveling at highway speeds you should reduce both vehicle and engine speeds. If the CC is engaged during an overheat episode the MO is smart enough to assist you in lowering the engine and vehicle speeds. The flashing light will alert you that the CC disengaged for a reason. I think that is a good feature.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Corin said:

WTF? Leave it to Nissan to figure out that warning.

"Hmmmm.... What can we do to alert the driver if the temperature is too high?"

"Well, we could just flash the cruise control set light..."

"Hey, that makes sense! Yeah, let's do that! That should be obvious to EVERYONE!"
No, that is not what I said.

The light will only flash after the cruise control has been automatically disengaged. The light will not flash just because the coolant temp is too high.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe it was a fast blink. We'll see if it continues.

Is the ASCD part of the ECU? I'm having difficulty finding a good picture of its location. It looks to me like the ASCD system consists of the ECU (brains), steering wheel switches, brake switch, and a speed monitor. So if something were wrong with the system, it could be any one of the switches or the ECU itself.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Warhammer said:
Is the ASCD part of the ECU? I'm having difficulty finding a good picture of its location.
WH-

Yeah, it looks like the cruise control is embedded in the ECU. That does make sense when you consider the MO has the electric throttle.

The service manual offers very little in terms of diagnostics for this particular system.

-njjoe

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had this same problem and I replaced the controls on the steering wheel and it corrected the problem and it only took about 30 min to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2005 Murano. I noticed that most the time when I turn on my cruise control "SET" is blinking. I am going to try and replace the cruise control switch.

Eclipse1825, you mentioned it took about 30 minutes, do you have any pictures or information on this process? Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know this is an old thread but i am having this issue on my 06, i know its not the coolant temp since the gauge is at normal and im only driving 15 miles at 60mph on my commute home, plus its a fast blinking of the SET light so its something to do with the Cruise control system....does anyone have any additional insight, i have an extended warranty through Nissan and searched for ASCD and all the components seem to be covered i just dont know if it means it will cover the steering controls or just the main system

Thanks

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last time this happened to me I was getting onto the highway and was already cruising at 70MPH. I usually get up to speed then set my cruise control on my MO. When I turned on the cruise control, I noticed the SET light flashing. So...I flipped the CVT into neutral, shut down the engine, waited about 3 seconds, turned on the motor, then engaged the CVT into drive. After that I did not have any issues to date. I did notice that it seemed like a momentary failure; i.e. would go away if I turned off and restarted the engine. It only happened to me a few times and I haven't seen it since. I'm thinking the ECM got into a funky state or something and threw the flashing SET light. Other than that...I have absolutely no clue what causes it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Last time this happened to me I was getting onto the highway and was already cruising at 70MPH. I usually get up to speed then set my cruise control on my MO. When I turned on the cruise control, I noticed the SET light flashing. So...I flipped the CVT into neutral, shut down the engine, waited about 3 seconds, turned on the motor, then engaged the CVT into drive. After that I did not have any issues to date. I did notice that it seemed like a momentary failure; i.e. would go away if I turned off and restarted the engine. It only happened to me a few times and I haven't seen it since. I'm thinking the ECM got into a funky state or something and threw the flashing SET light. Other than that...I have absolutely no clue what causes it.
Thanks Warhammer, it happened to me yesterday after work, and this am, although i have been having issues with the steering wheel control for my audio when i hit channel down at times intermittently it wont change, and im wondering since the set button is also "down" if its caused by like a loose connection or something....it does go away when you turn engine off and restart

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another possible fix for flashing "set" light...

While out for a drive yesterday, I noticed that after one of my stops (cruise control had been working normally to that point) that I was getting the "quick" flashing of the cruise control "set" light on my '07 Murano when I tried to activate cruise. Restarting the engine at the next couple of stops didn't clear the problem, so I drove home and figured I'd take it to the dealer (I have the Nissan Gold extended warranty).

But, after reading the posts here and inspecting for any debris or other obvious problems under the vehicle, I figured I'd try one more thing first. I disconnected the negative battery terminal for maybe 60 seconds, then reconnected. After resetting my radio stations and other preferences that were lost, I took a little drive and the cruise was working just fine.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for any further problems... but it might be that the electronics just got a bit stupid and needed a "reboot".

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, however it's a new problem for my 07 Murano. I tried Good ol Dan reboot to no success. I have no MIL light but still checked for any codes and came up empty. I found that the blinking SET light occurs after application of the brake pedal. I have operated the cruise using the speed control switches on the right side of the steering wheel. I have been able to set the cruise speed, cancel the cruise and re-establish a new speed with those controls. I'm able to accelerate the speed using the Accel switch, I can shutoff the cruise turn it back on and set a new speed without any disruption or blinking SET light. The only time I seem to get the blinking SET light is after stepping on the brake and trying to resume my selected speed with the Resume switch or the SET switch. OBD II Code P1564 calls out the ASCD Steering Switch, however I don't have a MIL light illuminated.

If anyone has an update or solution for this problem I welcome your response. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts